Newbie help with looping / sampling / delay modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Newbie help with looping / sampling / delay modules

Post by Slothrop » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi! Another newbie question, I'm afraid...

Short version - what are some creative looping / sampling / delay modules that I should be looking at if I wanted to build a small Eurorack setup for making beatless ambient / drone / noise / musique concrete stuff by looping and manipulating external sound sources (contact mic, kalimba, bass guitar etc)? I don't need to design a full rack at this point, I just need some ideas for what to look at to get an idea of what's out there and an estimate of costs and compare it to the potential for expanding my current guitar pedal setup by other means.

Long version - over the course of a year or so, my pedalboard has evolved from a few gimmicks to make my bass guitar sound weirder into a sort of kludged-together semi-modular ambient / drone / noise setup, and I've been idly wondering for a while whether I'd have been better off building an actual modular system to get similar results. I've recently got a bonus from work, some of which I'm thinking of splurging on vaguely spendy new additions to the pedals, so I thought this would be a good time to scope out the Eurorack route in more detail before sinking any more cash into the current setup.

My current setup is a bass guitar, a contact miked kalimba, other random contact miked objects and an induction coil pickup, some subset of which are running into a VFE Klein Bottle routing box then routed around a Montreal Assembly Count To 5 (pitch-shifting delay / looper), a DOD Rubberneck analogue delay and a Digitech Digidelay, which I use either as a glitchable looping delay or a budget Karplus-Strong box. I'm considering adding the Chase Bliss Audio Blooper when it comes out, or possibly something like a Red Panda Particle or the Dwarfcraft Grazer. Plus another Digidelay if I can find one for cheap.

The sort of modules I really need suggestions for would mostly be about delay, looping and live sampling, ideally with some nice glitchy / tweaky options. I'm not bothered about sound generators or conventional sequencers and I think I can generally figure out modulation stuff and routing for myself based on what's popular, but outside of a few things that come up again and again, interesting audio manipulation stuff seems a bit hard to dig for.

Thanks in advance!

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Newbie help with looping / sampling / delay modules

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

I like the Pittsburgh Analog Delay for its CV control. Using modulators to control the FB, time, and wet blend can result in some trippy but very controllable stuff. It's discontinued but easy to find used.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburg ... alog-delay

butter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by butter » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 pm

The new Synth Tech Hyperion sounds like a good fit...Its not a small amount of money, but held up next to the chase bliss, I'd call it a far better value.

You might find with your... electromechanical setup, you might want to combine it with an instrument interface/preamp module or two, but could basically function as a standalone unit on a mixer send or something (original kickstarter had a 4ms pod bundle for that use case). That said, if you are considering taking the euro plunge, the bigger the better is generally the best rule for cases, but is an additional cost as well.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 pm

You say looping and delay, I think 4ms Dual Looping Delay. Not glitchy at all, but you should look into it.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Based on your pedal selection, I think you’d get a lot out of a Phonogene (or Morphagene for bonus features) for sampling/mangling/looping and a good delay with freezing like a Chronoblob or Mimeophon.

I’d also suggest some type of LFO to make everything move, and a Doepfer 177 if you want to trigger all this while you’re playing.

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 am

4ms delay modules and Strymon has an interesting tapehead-like delay module too. Maybe you could get a quad envelope generator and a quad lfo, with a VCA mixer. Befaco has some good audio mixer with nice switches which benefit jamming performance.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 am

Looping and delay can generally be done cheaper in pedals or computers/iPads than in modular. If I’m going to buy a module for this stuff it has to be pretty special, and those are very, very expensive.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:35 am

i don't come from guitars, so grain of salt to go with what follows.

my impression is that you have some serious ability to glitch things up already, so clean looping would not be redundant. 4MS DLD is a good option. if you work in mono you'd have 2 channels to work with.
Slothrop wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm
The sort of modules I really need suggestions for would mostly be about delay, looping and live sampling, ideally with some nice glitchy / tweaky options.
depends on what you can splurge, but the best setup i can imagine is an ER-301 with a control surface like the 16n, or the tesseract sweet sixteen. the latter would fit in a 4ms pod 60 with the ER. you could build an accessible extension to your instrument and make it as glitchy or clean as you want. or both and loop all that and record 6 tracks of it for post processing. downsides: learning curve, expensive.

ari ellis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ari ellis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:13 am

I just got my morphagene and am very much into it, so am a little biased in its favour. But, I think that it would cover your stated needs; it can move seamlessly from vanilla looping to glitchy mayhem with a lot of territory covered along the way, and is extremely playable. Price-wise, it's a little more than the 4ms DLD, and considerably less than the ER-301. My opinion is that the 301 is probably major overkill for what you've indicated you're looking for.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am

Roland scooper.
I found it cheap last month and it is a very nice 10 sec looper with glitch deluxe aka scatter
plus tapepitch effect and a dj type filter.
And it has sound on sound.

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 am

For glitchy, I like the Qu-Bit Prism's comb filtering and freeze function

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks, folks - some interesting stuff to look into here, for sure!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”