New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:I'm going after the keyboard which is still in stock and on sale... FML... I can't decide whether to snatch one or get the Argon8.
I sort of wish I went for the Argon...
I feel that, I haven't questioned any Argon8 demo I've seen, but the hype and interface of the Hydra is really nice. Can't slap lipstick on a pig tho. The Hydra sounds "distant" to my ears, if that means anything.
Yes, seems very capable obviously...but something about it rubs me the wrong way, I revived mine the other day and haven’t even played it so I’m not sure exactly what my issue is...

Plug it in and let me know!!

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:I'm going after the keyboard which is still in stock and on sale... FML... I can't decide whether to snatch one or get the Argon8.
I feel that, I haven't questioned any Argon8 demo I've seen, but the hype and interface of the Hydra is really nice. Can't slap lipstick on a pig tho. The Hydra sounds "distant" to my ears, if that means anything.
Yes, seems very capable obviously...but something about it rubs me the wrong way, I revived mine the other day and haven’t even played it so I’m not sure exactly what my issue is...

Can’t really do anything with it until next week :doh:
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:16 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:

Can’t really do anything with it until next week :doh:
Out shopping and stopped by a guitar center which I never go to since it’s 49 minutes away. Only synths they had were Roland JDXA, Korg Minilogue and Behringer D thing. The ModX felt soooo sweet that keybed is excellent. I think I’ll be saving my money so far regarding the Hydra. But I don’t want to regret missing a deal :3

logicgate
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by logicgate » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:05 am

This one is worth getting even if using it only as a midi controller...

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 am

logicgate wrote:This one is worth getting even if using it only as a midi controller...
I dunno, that's what I preordered the Osmose for. Was hoping this would be enjoyable but I think I'm going to snag $69 Arturia Pigments 2 instead to hold me over... I really wanted to love the Hydra but it seems to be love it or hate it. Not sure I should give in to the hype and buy it before trying it out.

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:31 am

Divinital wrote:
logicgate wrote:This one is worth getting even if using it only as a midi controller...
I dunno, that's what I preordered the Osmose for. Was hoping this would be enjoyable but I think I'm going to snag $69 Arturia Pigments 2 instead to hold me over... I really wanted to love the Hydra but it seems to be love it or hate it. Not sure I should give in to the hype and buy it before trying it out.
What specifically didn’t you like about it? I have the Osmose on preorder too. As I said before I have the desktop but won’t be able to do anything with it for some time... if the Argon8 had cv I would of probably gone with that.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
What specifically didn’t you like about it? I have the Osmose on preorder too. As I said before I have the desktop but won’t be able to do anything with it for some time... if the Argon8 had cv I would of probably gone with that.
I think the sound has a tendency towards being "grating". A lot of my modern VSTs simply sound better and I'm not touring so I don't need a versatile digital hardware synth much with a somewhat generic sound and am completely comfortable programming synths on a PC.

Second, I am an FPGA convert, I really don't care for pure digital oscillators anymore. I like the high sampling rates with the versatility of digital. Analog filters are a nice touch such as on the Summit but even the sound of the Kyra is excellent to me. It's more refreshing as opposed to a dusty, grating sound. The only digital oscillators I've liked as of late were the Quantum, otherwise I think FPGA is a better investment for me alongside the extremely interesting/innovative synth that is the Osmose.

I can't speak for everyone though. I guarantee there will be music I like that uses the Hydra but for creating it and based upon the demos and few demo tracks out there so far, I've determined it isn't for me (having been very close to pulling the trigger on it).

My ears though, my experience.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
I think the sound has a tendency towards being "grating". A lot of my modern VSTs simply sound better and I'm not touring so I don't need a versatile digital hardware synth much with a somewhat generic sound and am completely comfortable programming synths on a PC.

Second, I am an FPGA convert, I really don't care for pure digital oscillators anymore. I like the high sampling rates with the versatility of digital. Analog filters are a nice touch such as on the Summit but even the sound of the Kyra is excellent to me. It's more refreshing as opposed to a dusty, grating sound. The only digital oscillators I've liked as of late were the Quantum, otherwise I think FPGA is a better investment for me alongside the extremely interesting/innovative synth that is the Osmose.

I can't speak for everyone though. I guarantee there will be music I like that uses the Hydra but for creating it and based upon the demos and few demo tracks out there so far, I've determined it isn't for me (having been very close to pulling the trigger on it).

your experience, based on online demos? which of these have you used extensively?

logicgate
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by logicgate » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:01 pm

@Divinital

You should try the Waldorf Kyra (previously Valkyrie), that thing is a monster. Could easily be the new Virus. Demos don´t do it justice, though.

Based on specs it should smoke any digital synth.

Unfortunately I can´t try one in person, where I live.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:

your experience, based on online demos? which of these have you used extensively?
what are you talking about? my experience based on listening to music. If I don't like how it sounds I won't like it in music, I know what music I like to listen to :lol:

I've heard it used in a few tracks, there are some on the official ASM page as well as one from Polypumpkins, an artist I've listened to for years as of now due to his use of the Novation Summit and I think the Hydra sounds terrible. I listen to everything through Sennheiser 6XXs, all the demos of the Argon8 sounds infinitely better to me.

I am OCD and when I had the Quantum, the right side of the screen seemed as though it barely worked so I returned it, a touch screen built in isn't worth the risk. Haven't used the Kyra, would like to. Owned a Moog Matriarch with VCA issues and am saving up again. Have had two Summits now, the first arrived in satisfactory condition and as soon as the recall was announced my encoder started to malfunction. Osmose I haven't used because it doesn't exist for the consumer yet...

Digital emphasized VSTs I use include age old Zebra2 whose sound I like more than the Hydra, Serum, Arturia Pigments whose sound is ideal for me, wavetable VA.

I own the Summit. It's the only hardware synth I have right now.

I don't really have to explain my tastes though and if you want to waste your time trying to arbitrarily sway my ears towards a sound feel free.
Last edited by Divinital on Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:10 pm

logicgate wrote:@Divinital

You should try the Waldorf Kyra (previously Valkyrie), that thing is a monster. Could easily be the new Virus. Demos don´t do it justice, though.

Based on specs it should smoke any digital synth.

Unfortunately I can´t try one in person, where I live.
My problem with the Kyra is the modulation capabilities, maybe I'm spoiled from synths like Summit and when I had the Moog Matriarch, but there aren't many mod routings and the LFOs go to... I think 20Hz? Pretty low to me.

Honestly the most appealing synth lately has been the Roland V-Synth, but the GTs are way too expensive for me so I'll probably never own one. A lot of my favorite artists have used them extensively.

Sorry for the double message, meant to hit edit and quoted instead...

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Divinital wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:

what are you talking about? my experience based on listening to music. If I don't like how it sounds I won't like it in music, I know what music I like to listen to :lol:

I've heard it used in a few tracks, there are some on the official ASM page as well as one from Polypumpkins, an artist I've listened to for years as of now due to his use of the Novation Summit and I think the Hydra sounds terrible. I listen to everything through Sennheiser 6XXs, all the demos of the Argon8 sounds infinitely better to me.

I am OCD and when I had the Quantum, the right side of the screen seemed as though it barely worked so I returned it, a touch screen built in isn't worth the risk. Haven't used the Kyra, would like to. Owned a Moog Matriarch with VCA issues and am saving up again. Have had two Summits now, the first arrived in satisfactory condition and as soon as the recall was announced my encoder started to malfunction. Osmose I haven't used because it doesn't exist for the consumer yet...

Digital emphasized VSTs I use include age old Zebra2 whose sound I like more than the Hydra, Serum, Arturia Pigments whose sound is ideal for me, wavetable VA.

I don't really have to explain my tastes though and if you want to waste your time trying to arbitrarily sway my ears towards a sound feel free.
huh?

logicgate
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by logicgate » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:31 pm

@Divinital

Was taking a look at the specs, do you consider this a poor modulation matrix?

"... the MOD MATRIX (modulation matrix), itself being a six-channel affair with up to three destinations per channel giving a maximum of 18 routings. It is also worth noting that the three LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillators) — with 128 waveforms, monophonic, polyphonic, random, anti-phase, and quadrature stereo phase settings — are also available in the MOD MATRIX and additionally as a MIDI clock sync source."

I guess this is per patch? In this synth you can stack a lot of patches on top of each other... So you can multiply those values above.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:41 pm

logicgate wrote:@Divinital

Was taking a look at the specs, do you consider this a poor modulation matrix?

"... the MOD MATRIX (modulation matrix), itself being a six-channel affair with up to three destinations per channel giving a maximum of 18 routings. It is also worth noting that the three LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillators) — with 128 waveforms, monophonic, polyphonic, random, anti-phase, and quadrature stereo phase settings — are also available in the MOD MATRIX and additionally as a MIDI clock sync source."

I guess this is per patch? In this synth you can stack a lot of patches on top of each other... So you can multiply those values above.
Ok so maybe its basic outer structure hides a huge array of complex possibilities. Sounds really interesting. It's a synth I need to try in person and will absolutely never get the chance to.

I probably have some other preconceived notions about it that may be wrong. It's tough to drop over $2k on a synth you can't try first but I do love FPGAs, I wonder what the resale market is like in case I don't enjoy it for some reason. There have been absolutely zero available used since release but I'm unsure of sales volume.

Another aspect I've commented on is the ability to use the huge, solid polyphony and octatimbral functionality to create entire tracks using a single drum machine and the Kyra. Heck, the Kyra could even become a drum machine.....

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:

huh?
Well, there’s no accounting for taste, nor should there be. I will simply say that as someone who now owns a Hydrasynth, it sounds substantially better in person than any demo I heard on YouTube. It’s an unabashedly a digital synth, but some of the presets due a remarkable job of Analog emulation, at least as good as the Summit, which I tried hands on twice and decided to pass on. I bought this because of it’s poly after touch, extremely deep voice architecture, and ribbon controller. The presets by and large suck but I end up customizing virtually every patch I use on any synth anyway. I find it engaging and inspiring musically, which is all I can ask from a synth. Of course my experience is still limited so my opinion might change, but that’s where I am week 1.

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:12 am

I’m not surprised the presets suck considering a couple of the “sound designers” credited in the manual.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 am

onthebandwagon wrote:I’m not surprised the presets suck considering a couple of the “sound designers” credited in the manual.
did you plug it in yet? lol

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 am

Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:I’m not surprised the presets suck considering a couple of the “sound designers” credited in the manual.
No :despair: apparently I just like bitching, hopefully I will get to “flux with it” one day soon.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:19 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
No :despair: apparently I just like bitching, hopefully I will get to “flux with it” one day soon.
Then you will level up and evolve into the supreme - onthebandwagon flux fluxwithit thebandwagon fluxmeister flux soldering iron my fluxwith me

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:27 am

Divinital wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Then you will level up and evolve into the supreme - onthebandwagon flux fluxwithit thebandwagon fluxmeister flux soldering iron my fluxwith me
I have a a feeling I would also have to watch a lot of WWF or something to get on that level...

inoshi
Common Wiggler

Post by inoshi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:57 am

can it do acid?

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Divinital wrote: I am OCD and when I had the Quantum, the right side of the screen seemed as though it barely worked so I returned it
fyi: the right side of the screen thing is most likely due to a point of confusion on how thee ui is to be interacted with. There's a youtube vid where a guy goes through all of the UI issues. Most of the time when the right side doesn't respond, it's because you aren't supposed to be touching it there. The three blocks that come up next to the knobs are intended to only be touched nearer to the inside and don't respond to touch near the outside. It's fooled a lot of peeps into thinking it's got a dead spot - myself included.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:14 pm

tehyar wrote:
Divinital wrote: I am OCD and when I had the Quantum, the right side of the screen seemed as though it barely worked so I returned it
fyi: the right side of the screen thing is most likely due to a point of confusion on how thee ui is to be interacted with. There's a youtube vid where a guy goes through all of the UI issues. Most of the time when the right side doesn't respond, it's because you aren't supposed to be touching it there. The three blocks that come up next to the knobs are intended to only be touched nearer to the inside and don't respond to touch near the outside. It's fooled a lot of peeps into thinking it's got a dead spot - myself included.
I contacted Korg/Waldorf and they told me there was an issue.

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:57 pm

tehyar wrote:
Unfortunately it’s definitely an issue. Mine has that problem and I’m now having to submit a ticket for it. It’s gotten more noticeable since I got it.

There are work arounds, touching the box and then using the knob nearest the box, but things like sliding through parameters is impossible to do even somewhat smoothly. The left side is totally fine, and completely different from the right side. On mine, the lack of sensitivity started about 1/8” from the edge and is not nearly a full inch from the edge after 7 months. I bought it new.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm

nolongerhuman wrote:
tehyar wrote:
Unfortunately it’s definitely an issue. Mine has that problem and I’m now having to submit a ticket for it. It’s gotten more noticeable since I got it.

There are work arounds, touching the box and then using the knob nearest the box, but things like sliding through parameters is impossible to do even somewhat smoothly. The left side is totally fine, and completely different from the right side. On mine, the lack of sensitivity started about 1/8” from the edge and is not nearly a full inch from the edge after 7 months. I bought it new.
Getting off thread rails here but on mine it was most notably proven using the performance XY pad, which undoubtedly should act consistent across the entire pad. I set the snap to center on when the pad is not being touched.

The left side worked perfectly fine, really nice actually. The right side, using the exact same pressure profile, would snap back to the center and then back to where my finger was many times a second as I slid my finger top to bottom, even a few millimeters from the very edge when having tested the left side right on or close to off the edge and it functioning perfectly fine.

Return to “General Gear”