The ASV is AWESOME (Was: ASV filter problem)

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, Synthbuilder

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:49 am

Q5 looks fine. I'm not so sure about Q6. I wouldn't expect the voltage difference between gate and source to be so different. Maybe try another J201 in Q6?

Tony

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Ill try that tomorrow ..thanks.
rgds Pav

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:54 am

Well I couldn't bring myself to change th j201 until I did a few more tests...and I found that with the main board powered on on its own, the j201 behaved and I can tune pin 7 u10 to 0.0v.
Reassembled I got the garbage random voltages suggesting bad solder joint .again. I will have to change to rule it out but wanted to ask if that was a valid test on the main board alone..or not indicative without pot and Osc boards?
rgds Pav

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:09 am

Pav wrote:Well I couldn't bring myself to change th j201 until I did a few more tests...and I found that with the main board powered on on its own, the j201 behaved and I can tune pin 7 u10 to 0.0v.
Without the pot board in place the filter sits at around two octaves lower than it would do with the pot board connected. So it should be fine to calibrate the filter in this way.

This is odd though - this suggests that Q6 is fine but the pot board is putting out some weird control voltage which prevents the filter from being fully calibrated. But if the other offset trimmer calibrates OK that suggests the pot board is working correctly...

Maybe it is just a bad joint somewhere on the main board and connecting the two boards disturbs that joint and it fails. In this case gently flexing and/or wiggling some components on the main board without the pot board in place should also reveal this problem.

A scope is the best tool to measure these sorts of flip-flop behaviours on a board. Just probe the source of Q6 and see if its stable when you flex/wiggle stuff.

Tony

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I am pleased to say i have got F_OFF1 & FOFF_2 calibrated with all boards in place :ripbanana: . I re-flowed all the joints on the pot board I could see without removing the panel. I re-flowed CN7 and CN8 SILs on the main board just in case as they deal with filter signals.
I then refitted all together - and hey presto they calibrate to 0.0v

I can continue with rest of calibration now.

Heres a video test

rgds Pav

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Help with build

Post by Purveyor2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Finished my ASV this weekend and think I have a problem with the filter/main out. The main out seems band passed and significantly lower volume than the mixer out. The filter works, HP swept to HP and BP via switch. Res is nice and squelchy. Individual outs for both Osc and mix out are loud and clear. Sub out is very faint, ground noise overtakes. The main out again is super low volume, lots of ground noise. Volume improved when I cranked the 50k A level trimmer but no sub osc perceptible. Triangle out works fine.

I’ve checked voltages throughout, no issues noted. I’ve scoped the signals and all good into the mixer IC. Oscilloscope ran out of juice, didn’t get to the filter section.

Thought maybe my ribbon on hdr 3 was bad so I tested just the pins connected to a jack. Same results.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Help with build

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:09 am

Purveyor2 wrote:Finished my ASV this weekend and think I have a problem with the filter/main out.
My first thought was that the panel ground is not connected properly. If you are using the four way power headers make sure both pins 2 and 3 on each connector, PSU1 and PSU2, have a connection back to the power supply's 0V. If using the MU connectors then make sure that pins 2 and 3 on the PSU2 header on the main board are linked together with a bit of wire.

Next thing to try is to make sure the ENV2 output is working. Make sure that when there is no jack inserted into the gate socket, the LED is on, and the voltage on ENV2 output is roughly 5V with the ENV2's sustain pot at full. If not, you have a problem with ENV2 circuitry based around U24. This wouldn't explain why the sub out is quiet though - which sounds as though it could be another problem.

Tony

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:09 am

I hadn’t linked the pads on PSU2. All ground noise resolved. Clear and loud sub at individual out. Main out is corrected as well. Sub still seems a little low in the main, though I suspect by design. For instance, if I take either osc to 50% in the mixer with the sub on full can’t really hear anymore although I can tell if I turn the sub off. Probably my aging ears.

Anyway it sounds great. Thank you!

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 am

Purveyor2 wrote:I hadn’t linked the pads on PSU2. All ground noise resolved.
:banana:
Sub still seems a little low in the main, though I suspect by design.
The sub is a triangle wave of around 6V peak, so is actually a bigger signal than the other waveforms. However, being a triangle it has few harmonics so is often drowned out by the sawtooths.

It might be worth a check though that it is 6V peak (12V peak to peak) and not something lower. Just measure the output voltage from the sub out.

Tony

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Just priced a panel with front panel express using Tony’s fpd file and sending them a Dotcom blank panel. $150 - That can’t be right?!?
Just starting my 5U system, thinking I should just go MOTM...

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 am

Purveyor2 wrote:Just priced a panel with front panel express using Tony’s fpd file and sending them a Dotcom blank panel. $150 - That can’t be right?!?
Probably is. I think if you send them a blank panel it has to be engraved rather than printed so it'll be twice what the standard printed panel costs. The printed panel works out to be around 78Euros.
Just starting my 5U system, thinking I should just go MOTM...
If you're only planning to make Oakley stuff, then MOTM is the best way to do it. The panels are designed around the MOTM format. While direct conversion to MU looks OK for single width panels, the double width ones look somewhat stretched out.

I have been thinking about making some MU only modules - MU panels with PCBs parallel to the panel like the ASV. But the market is quite small these days so I'm not sure when I'll get on to it.

Tony

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

asv lfo issue

Post by Pav » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:21 am

Hi,
I have finally realized after a session with eljay listening to his shiney new well calibrated ASV (including the spectral analysis on the filter in Ableton) that i have a problem with my ASV LFO . checking with scope ..its not a +/- 4v sinewave but a +/- 14v toblarone like square wave.
Max Frequency is calibrated ok. Rate is ok.

Looking at schematic - do the diodes in the transistors do the shaping or the LM 1300 ..? just trying to narrow down search for dodgy soldering :bang:
rgds Pav

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: asv lfo issue

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:30 am

Pav wrote:but a +/- 14v toblarone like square wave.
Max Frequency is calibrated ok.
Check that that R86, R87 and R107 are the correct values. (390R, 22K & 15K respectively)

If soldering is at fault then one of the solder pads around R86 or R107 could be the problem.

It's the transistors in the input stage of the LM13700 that do the shaping.

Tony

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Actually turned out to be R84 was 4.7k and not 47k. Thats the second 4.7k i had mistakenly put in fro a 47k :hmm: Better check me bags of each .
That said I now have a beautiful sine wave from LFO OUT :nana:

I have to put the vco board back now - to see if the rest still works after pulling it apart twice.
rgds Pav

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”