Filtrex works in series but not on mixer insert

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, Synthbuilder

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Filtrex works in series but not on mixer insert

Post by Paradigm X » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:04 am

Hi TOny hope you are well.

I have an odd problem with my filtrex II. it works fine if you plug something into the input, then a lead to the mixer, but if i use an insert jack on the mixer, it doesnt work (silence). Ive tried numerous cables (including brand new ones) and the insert jack of my (brand new) mixer work as expected with other gear, but not the filtrex

Very odd.

Any ideas at all?

Also, i threw my second one together with bits and peices I had lying around, and it doesnt sound as nice as the first one i built. WHich components have a (big) effect on the sound and are worth replacing for decent parts? I am thinking of going the opposite route and putting in really nice film/whatever capacitors etc where it would make a difference.

many thanks, all the best, Ben

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Filtrex works in series but not on mixer insert

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:18 am

Hi Ben,
Paradigm X wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:04 am
if i use an insert jack on the mixer, it doesnt work (silence).
Do you know if the signal is getting to the Filtrex? That is, does the peak LED light up when you send it a signal and turn up the gain? If so the problem is probably your wiring from the Filtrex circuit board to the output socket. I think perhaps you have the tip (T) and sleeve (S) connections reversed inside the Filtrex.

You'd still get audio if you used a TRS (balanced) cable from the output of the Filtrex to a balanced input on your mixer. However, most insert Y cables use a TRS plug to go into the back of the mixer and two unbalanced TS plugs for the send and receive. Since the Filtrex has a balanced output, it'll work just fine with T and S swapped if you are using balanced TRS cable into a balanced input. But using a TS plug/cable will produce no output if T and S have been swapped when you wired the output socket to the PCB.
Which components have a (big) effect on the sound and are worth replacing for decent parts?
I'm not sure any of the components will make a big difference unless they are the wrong components. I know it's difficult to describe a sound but in what way is the second one worse than the other. For example, is it bass light, overly distorted, too bright?

Tony

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 am

Hi Tony, thanks for the swift reply!

I will test it tonight, i dont honestly remember whether the lights come on.

But it might be worth mentioning ive never used a balanced cable with it, only mono cables in either configuration (insert or series). I had guessed it was something to do with TRS wiring, ill open it up and have a look.

In terms of the difference between the two, well, im going to have to use a load of useless hifi like terminology im afraid.

They both basically sound the same, but the old one just sounds more 'expensive' (sorry). Like the difference between a badly made x0xb0x and a good one. Basically the same, but one is obviously better. It just sounds 'classier', the sweeps from the lfo seem more defined, the resonance seems harsher when up high, or less defined when lower, it sounds 'warmer' i know, all of these words are literally meaningless. Sorry. Well i hope this gave you a little chuckle if nothing else.

I know i put in a load of mega cheap chinese green mylar (?) caps i had lying around which made me think it might be them. The only other difference i know is you changed the 'posh' opamp at some point, and the old one used the earlier version.

I suppose the obvious solution is to replace everything with your recommended caps. But i was wondering if any could benefit from nice WIMA type boxes or polystyrene or anything like that, in a no expense spared kind of way, while i am taking it apart? But i think you've mentioned previously that you dont believe too much in magic voodoo capacitors and the like.

Sorry if this is all a waste of your time. Many thanks as always.

Cheers, Ben

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 am

As far as capacitor replacements, I would look to the four ladder capacitors first. These are C12 through C15. Don't bother with polystyrene since they'll be massive and cause more problems than they will fix. Use a good 5% polyester or even polypropylene film. C16 through C19 should also be of good quality. 10% or 5% WIMA or Kemet polyester film should be fine.

Setting the balance trimmer correctly can also have an effect on the sound of the ladder.

Tony

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm

OK, well I opened it up and it seems like pin 1 and 3 of the output were the wrong way round. but on top of that the ground was hanging by a thread and broke completely when i moved it. so i have to rewire that pronto.

My brain still cant figure out why mono in mono out works, but a ycable, which is two mono cables, didnt. But never mind.

Also the four main filter caps are the cheap mylars. the other ones you mentioned are your recommended parts.

I will order some more filter caps and rewire the socket and retrim the balance trimmer and retry.

Many thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”