Filters

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, Synthbuilder

welhamc
Learning to Wiggle

Filters

Post by welhamc » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:09 pm

I'm planning on adding a second filter to my medium sized Oakley system

I currently have the 2u version of the COTA, and love how it sounds. However I'm finding it hard to differentiate the other Oakley filters from the sound clips alone - what are everyones recommendations? I suppose I'm torn between another all-rounder and a more characteristic one

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Filters

Post by Pav » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi, I am agreeing with both points you make. I have not yet built two journeymans and mixing hi pass and low pass, but Eljay a friend has implemented this recommendation of Tony with success. If not the Journeyman, then I suggest Croglin as your next choice.

I started with just two filters DSL and Croglin,but over two years added the others.
Now My MosPhaser or Deep Equinox get used a lot often instead of a named filter.

One tip I am trying to take on board is doing more with the upstream signal to see how each filter responds. Also recommend using a VRG and ADSR in tandem as modulation to the filter for keyboard patches.
rgds Pav

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:52 am

I'd probably go with one with a high pass function on it. So that's the Journeyman or the SVF. The Journeyman is more characterful but its high pass is only -6dB/octave at low resonance. The SVF has all of its outputs available simultaneously including a -12dB/octave high pass.

Tony

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 am

SSF Stereo Dipole.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

welhamc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by welhamc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

thanks for the suggestions

It seems at the moment I'm feeling most drawn to the Croglin, but maybe hi pass functionality may be nice.

How often do you use hi pass in your patches? I don't tend to use it much with other synths/daw projects unless sometimes for airy pads, but then again I'd always program these polyphonically, so doubt it would be much use in mono modular

Only other thing I can think it being useful for would be set low with resonance for some extra thump on kick patches, but would love to hear some ideas for other uses

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”