MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

LZX system & vector re-scanning newbie questions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX system & vector re-scanning newbie questions?
mr_capstick
Firstly my appologies if these questions have been covered elsewhere on this forum. I've been scanning it but found it difficult to find a thread relevant to all my questions.
I think I'm about to take the plunge on an LZX system, a very limited one as for the moment at least I'm on a really tight budget.
The first thing I'm going to attempt to develop is a rut Etra like system. From the Youtube vid of the LZX creating the effect I understand that I may need the following: The LZX Video Waveform Generator, My first question is can I bypass the Video Waveform Generator and use my existing audio Osc's with Silentway translating the frequencies into video range (maybe I'd need the voltage bridge as well). Secondly I understand that the Video sync generator is one of the primary modules but is there any explicit reason why I couldn't get an analogue pulse/sync generator off ebay to sync the system. I'm pretty much decided on the Triple Video Fader & Key Generator and I've sourced the scope I'm going to use.

Appreciate your help
barto
for vector rescanning youll need the core modules (CVE, VSG) along with ramps, VBM and possibly something to boost your signal going into the oscilloscope. you should be able to use your current oscillators but they probably wont have the bandwidth for line rate
lizlarsen
Everything barto said is correct, yes.
Silent Way won't work though, as you'll need synchronized waveforms and it won't be possible to sync them to the video sync and line rates from a DAW source.
Video Sync Generator will be essential for doing vector rescanning because you need sync pulses timed to the video source's video synchronization signals, and also a way to get a DC restored video signal.

Video Ramps + VSG + Video Blending Matrix + a suitable vector monitor is a minimal way to start.
mr_capstick
Thanks Lars/ Barto, that's a big help.

Just to be clear Lars, with the most basic setup I dont need the cve for starters.
Revok
CVE is not needed. You just go straight out of the VBM.
lizlarsen
Yes, that's right!
Of course without CVE then there's no way to get a video output from your system without a vector monitor+rescanning camera, so I'd recommend having one so you can explore all the raster-based video synthesis techniques as well. smile
iVardensphere
Would you say this is a good set up for V. Rescanning (scope/camera not mentioned)

Am I really gaining anything with the Triple Video Fader here?

Video Ramps
Video Sync Gen
Video Blending matrix
Colour Video Encoder
Triple Video Fader & Key Gen
Revok
Hey iVardensphere,

Are you set on vector rescanning only?
johnnywoods
iVardensphere wrote:
Would you say this is a good set up for V. Rescanning (scope/camera not mentioned)

Am I really gaining anything with the Triple Video Fader here?

Video Ramps
Video Sync Gen
Video Blending matrix
Colour Video Encoder
Triple Video Fader & Key Gen

Yes, you're gaining a lot! For example, you can do uniform scaling of your vector image by using 2 channels of the fader with a single cv input. Hundreds of uses. Without it, you're really limited to fairly static effects.
You may also want to consider a few modulation sources (audio oscillators/LFOs/envelopes), and I would probably grab a TVP as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1