MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[INTEREST CHECK] Turing Machine / RLS Expander Kits
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [INTEREST CHECK] Turing Machine / RLS Expander Kits
Monobass
Buy here - http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-ultimat e-bundle/

I'm very pleased to say I'll soon be shipping both Turing Machine/RLS expander kits, prices will follow in around 1 week. This thread is to gauge interest.

Pulses:

Voltages - make sure you stick around for audio rate FM bit at 4:20:

If you're already registered on Thonk you can use the wishlist feature on the product pages to be informed by email as soon as the kits are released.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pulses-expander/

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/voltages-expander/

Tombolas build and information thread is here - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83867

Tom is working on a new revision of the main RLS board, which is why isn't offering RLS kits at the moment. The expanders are fully compatible with all revisions of the main RLS module.

Expanders will be available in both the 'Sweeping Arcs' and 'Spirograph' styles.

I'll be selling loose PCBs and Panels too.

regenbot
definitely interested at least on of each thumbs up
gwaidan
Will you be selling panels separately as well as the boards? Look great, by the way!
Monobass
Yeah i'll be selling loose panels and PCBs.
The panels for the main Turing Machine / RLS module will also be back in stock when the expanders are.
Monobass

FetidEye
nice!

interested in both!
Dego
Two of each. I will order as soon as they are available. smile
Smugrik
Nice to learn there will be full kits and boards only.
I'm interested in both expansions.
Are these fully compatible with rev 2.1 main boards?
Monobass
Smugrik wrote:
Nice to learn there will be full kits and boards only.
I'm interested in both expansions.
Are these fully compatible with rev 2.1 main boards?

Yeah the expanders are compatible with all revisions of the original Turing Machine, future and past.
pre55ure
Very interested.
a100user
Yep one of each please Steve
stellvia
Defo want full kits of both hyper
hsimonis
I'm very interested in one each.
theabsent
Taking several.
ollepetersson
Anyone care to explain a bit what the expanders do? I read the following but still can't get my head around it?

http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/?page_id=323

Voltages is a step sequenser clocking the random looping sequencer? and Pulses? does it do more than just a simple clock divider?

Cheers,
/Olle
kozepz
Ole!
2 times complete packages Steve, there's enough 'Thonk'-room in my skiff left hihi

Great work again as usual!
Rigo
Do both kits contain the backpack-pcb and components ? That would mean if buying both kits for 1 RLS, you end up with some bits and pieces that are not used (if I get it correctly that both expanders can be connected at the same time to 1 backpack pcb). Maybe a dual expander kit ?
Anyway, I will take some kits w00t
citric acid
nice. depends on the price. but i think one of each as a kit will be cool. nice video !
Monobass
Rigo wrote:
Do both kits contain the backpack-pcb and components ? That would mean if buying both kits for 1 RLS, you end up with some bits and pieces that are not used (if I get it correctly that both expanders can be connected at the same time to 1 backpack pcb). Maybe a dual expander kit ?
Anyway, I will take some kits w00t

You'll be able to buy exactly what you need.
en.
wow!
i'll take some (2 or 3) loose PCBs + panel of all, main RLS included...
just can't wait
synthcube
Awesome.... Congratulations!
bsmith
def interested in the voltages one and probably the pulses as well.
NS4W
Kool! May we see the Spirograph style pretty please?
ddoyen
Planning on getting a Turing machine kit when they are available and will be interested in at least one of these expansions
rosch
so the voltages and pulses expansions can be hooked to the same machine? or do i need to build a second unit?
JJ
Yes, two.
mckenic
applause

Thank you for offering these!
Two of each for me please as soon as available! PERFECT!

Woo Hoo!
igormpc
i was waiting for RLS 1 full kit + panel again...
so now i am waiting for RLS 1 full kit + panel
++ pulses and voltages full kits + panels + pcbs...

thumbs up
Barcode
I'm in for......

1 x Backpack PCB
1 x Pulses PCB
1 x Voltages PCB

and 1 x RLS PCB when they are in stock.

Thanks guys!
rockwoofstone
I'll be up for a set thumbs up
defenestration
thumbs up

cool, I'll be grabbing some of these goodies, depending on cost
LeFreq
Yeah, once I finally get to build the original, I'd be down to build both expanders as well. Thanks for this. thumbs up
Gripp
applause

I'd sure like to expand my Turing fully too.
sempervirent
If anyone ordered a Grayscale panel for the Turing Machine and wants matching aluminum panels for either expander, here you go:

Turing Machine / RLS:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-machine-random-looping-sequencer/

Pulses Expander:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-machine-pulses-expander/

Voltages Expander:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-machine-voltages-expander/
mckenic
BRILLIANT!!!

I should just set up a standing order - direct payment in to your bank account mate!!!

hihi

Thanks for doing these!
Tombola
sempervirent wrote:
If anyone ordered a Grayscale panel for the Turing Machine and wants matching aluminum panels for either expander, here you go:

[url=http://grayscale.info/][/url]

Turing Machine / RLS:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-machine-random-looping-sequencer/

Pulses Expander:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-machine-pulses-expander/

Voltages Expander:
http://grayscale.info/panels/turing-machine-voltages-expander/

NICE!
Monobass
NS4W wrote:
Kool! May we see the Spirograph style pretty please?

Monobass
rosch wrote:
so the voltages and pulses expansions can be hooked to the same machine?

yep
logicgate
w00t w00t w00t

I would like 1x Pulses and 1x Voltages
logicgate
What is the "backpack" PCB? Sorry for my ignorance!!
Tombola
logicgate wrote:

It goes on the back of the RLS, powering one Pulses and/or one Voltages

Details here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83867
mpTRONIX
interest = Spirograph' styles 4 me we're not worthy
rosch
please count me in for one kit of each (pulses, voltages, backpack) except the panels, i'm going to get the aluminum ones.
i already put them on my wishlist but had to choose a panel in order to complete.

btw how is the back panel mounted on the board? exchange the header row on top to a stacking header?
mpTRONIX
hihi see..no led-lights-blinking on the greyscale pulse panel meh

..but also good work thumbs up
ossi_fx
Yeah,

I'm in for 2 x expansion PCB's
mattrick
i don't know exactly what i'll want, but probably 4 sets of expansion PCBs for starters.

maybe some spiro panels to complement those i have already.... the grayscale panels look uhmeezin though, so i might pull out the for those, and do some re-paneling.
logicgate
Tombola wrote:
logicgate wrote:

It goes on the back of the RLS, powering one Pulses and/or one Voltages

Details here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83867

Thx mate!! Got it now! wink

In this case I'm in for one backpack as well SlayerBadger!

Cheers
lombrose
I`m in!!! smile
batchas
1 x Backpack PCB
1 x Pulses PCB
1 x Voltages PCB
Thank you!
Peake
At least two sets of all PCBs (just PCBs, though). Thanks!
the83
2x full kits of both minus panels (if that's an option)
Rigo
Have 1 Spiro and 1 Sweep RLS ... will probably fully expand both w00t
NS4W
Interested in both - spiro style
Tombola
mpTRONIX wrote:
hihi see..no led-lights-blinking on the greyscale pulse panel meh

..but also good work thumbs up

Oh yes, didn't spot that. If the 3mm holes were there, it would be easy enough to assemble the kit to make that work - you'd do it like the 4ms kits:

Put the LEDs through the holes into the PCB
Put on the front panel and attach with nuts
Only solder the LEDs to the PCB once they're in place
Monobass
Tombola wrote:
Two Mumble-VisionHD videos, explaining the new modules in more detail:

Pulses:

Voltages - make sure you stick around for audio rate FM bit at 4:20:
mgodzillau
.. i'm new to eurorack and that would be my veryfirst DIY for that format.
would like to have one full (three modules) sweepin' kit. is that the place to preorder ? i entered the wish list on thonk but don't understand how it works.
Monobass
mgodzillau wrote:
.. i'm new to eurorack and that would be my veryfirst DIY for that format.
would like to have one full (three modules) sweepin' kit. is that the place to preorder ? i entered the wish list on thonk but don't understand how it works.

Adding your name to the wishlist simply means that you'll be sent an email when the kits are available to buy. There are no reservations or pre-orders.
mgodzillau
thx for answer wink can't wait

and by the way monobass :

Monobass
mgodzillau wrote:

not guilty, but I'll definitely have to show this to my wife wink
bartleby
i don't have an rls yet. will rls kits be available again at the same time as the expander kits? if so, i think i'll be in for a full set of kits:

1x rls kit
1x pulses kit
1x voltages kit

oh, and i'll need a backpack kit, i suppose.
Tombola
mgodzillau wrote:
thx for answer wink can't wait

Ha, I filmed these with my iphone balanced on top of my low cost case
Monobass
bartleby wrote:
i don't have a rls yet. will rls kits be available again at the same time as the expander kits?

No the restock of RLS kits will follow on later.

I'd love to keep it all in stock permanently...
bartleby
ok then i guess i'll wait till they are all in stock. no use building expanders when i don't have an rls to expand...
netpusher
Wow! Thanks for adding these up on Thonk, I put them in my wish list.
ddoyen
bartleby wrote:
i don't have an rls yet. will rls kits be available again at the same time as the expander kits? if so, i think i'll be in for a full set of kits:

1x rls kit
1x pulses kit
1x voltages kit

oh, and i'll need a backpack kit, i suppose.

wondering the same, and interested in the same. that voltages module looks absolutely insane.

edit: sorry just saw the reply!
mcsie
Definitely gonna get both (Pulses + Voltages) for my sweeping Turing/RLS.

Seriously considering a second set (RLS + Pulses + Voltage) - perhaps in spirograph or greyscale.
lessavyfav
Yes!
nd595
will get both expanders when they become available!
AsceticUnderground
im definitely up for both of these expanders grin
nangu
I'm in for several of each. A few more kits than panels, since I'll be building some of them with Grayscale panels.

Thanks!!
sicpaul
depending on price, i'd love to get 2 or 3 complete sets
(backpack, pulse, voltage and panels - 1 or 2 sets spiro, 1 set arcs)

cheers
paul
knob_alchemist
Interested to a VOLTAGES FULL KIT...and maybe to a Pulses, depending on price...very good Steve.... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Phetus
AHH NEED THESE
Axiom Crux
Highly interested in the Turing and expander kits! Going to order the greyscale panels to keep my system all metallic. When do you plan to make these available? I have been looking forward to the Turing kit for a while and they have been out of stock for months.
Protofrangiste
Really cool!
I'm in for 2 of each (sweeping arc panel) please!
Monobass
shit ton of panels, should be able to get prices on the kits before the end of the week. Oh and yes, I have original Turing Machine panels now if anyone wants any, but no, I don't have full kits of the Turing Machine yet.

Cata
Hmm. Might just have to order a panel for the TM. I unfortunately missed the chance to grab the full kits when they were available d'oh!
Monobass
I'll be doing a LARGE run of Turing Machines when the new PCB passes muster and It finally happens, so there's no need to buy a panel now if you actually want a full kit. There were a few people after single panels a while back.
mOBiTh
Hey man

I have three of each of the original turings, so need three X whatever I need to fully expand all three if you get me?

Apart from perspex panels because I'll order the metal ones!

Cheers

M
bartleby
dp sry
bartleby
Monobass wrote:
I'll be doing a LARGE run of Turing Machines when the new PCB passes muster

there is a new rls pcb version in the works? in what way is it different from the version currently available?

is it worth waiting for instead of getting a pcb + panel now?
Tombola
New RLS pcb will have (if/when I get it working):

Better layout, so you don't have to squeeze the TL074 in

Slightly improved clock in, will work better with multed clocks

Voltage regulator for more stable CV output if there is a lot of noise in your case.

Apart from the layout, these are all pretty easy bodges on the existing board, if you want them - a few pennies worth of components and an hour of bodging.

To put it in context:

I have two RLSs that I regularly use, one has the voltage regulation bodge, the other has none. I haven't felt the need to do the clock bodge to either (it was created by Tony Steventon and worked very well in my first rev3 prototype - in which I somehow managed to kill the noise circuit).

There are no changes to the panel or expansion ports. It's literally moving a chip, adding a couple of resistors and caps and a transistor-sized voltage regulator, and moving a misplaced cap in the noise circuit, but obviously the whole board is re-routed, so needs testing.

Because I know the changes are worthwhile, particularly regarding the TL074, Steven (Thonk) wants to wait for the new board to do another run.

Doing this kind of work is slow, because any change to the PCB needs to go through the fabbing process in China (or this time I'm experimenting with OSH Park in Portland) which takes at least a month. So, spotting an issue, making a fix, breaking something during that fix process and fixing the fix can take 2-3 months even with a following wind.

I sent a rev 3.2 board to Portland yesterday. Hopefully it will work and I'll be able to 'publish' in 6 weeks or so. If not, it will be another round and more like 12 weeks.
bartleby
cool, thanks for the update!
jules
Probably stupid question, but:
the sequencer PCB is mentioned to work at 15V without modifications.
Does the same apply to "pulses" and "voltages"?

Thanks.
Tombola
jules wrote:

Thanks.

Without having tested it or owning a +/-15v PSU:

All the voltage outputs on Voltages come via 9v regulators, so swing from 0-9v (via the 'scale' controls, so they can be anything you want below that). If you want a different voltage, just change the regulators.

The pulse outputs come out of the 4081 cmos AND gates which should take 15v supply voltage and deliver a 15v-ish pulse
mapmap
totally interested!
Monobass
Tombola wrote:
jules wrote:

Thanks.

Without having tested it or owning a +/-15v PSU:

I'll test it with 15V before it goes on sale thumbs up
Phetus
So are they going on sale in 6 weeks then?

And what are the prices going to be for the full kits?
Monobass
Phetus wrote:

No Expanders definitely not as long as 6 weeks, I can't currently see any reason they won't be for sale within 3 weeks. I won't have a chance.to price until next week, my focus is on the 258J kits in the coming week.
Phetus
Monobass wrote:
Phetus wrote:

No Expanders definitely not as long as 6 weeks, I can't currently see any reason they won't be for sale within 3 weeks. I won't have a chance.to price until next week, my focus is on the 258J kits in the coming week.

Ah ok, but the RLS will be longer right? I was looking forward to them... sad banana
crossinger
As DIY fan with less experience (so far only AT-AT-AT and MA Mix): How difficult are the Turing Machine and Expansion kits?

To give a self-evaluation: Next I would build something like 4ms RCD, but I wouldn't dare to try a 4ms PEG.

It all looks very promising and I would start with the expansions (not taking the risk they are sold out before original Turing Machine is back in stock) and then wait for the main module.
rosch
the RLS was a quick and easy build. everything is layed out perfectly for the parts that come with the kit. the build instructions are easy to understand and step by step (but you need to read it first because there is a soldering order for some parts)
Tombola
crossinger wrote:
As DIY fan with less experience (so far only AT-AT-AT and MA Mix): How difficult are the Turing Machine and Expansion kits?

To give a self-evaluation: Next I would build something like 4ms RCD, but I wouldn't dare to try a 4ms PEG.

It all looks very promising and I would start with the expansions (not taking the risk they are sold out before original Turing Machine is back in stock) and then wait for the main module.

I think the expanders are easier than the main module. It's slightly hard for me because I'm a year more experienced than when I did the original module, but there are far fewer and simpler components. Once Steven (Thonk) has done his magic with bags and detailed build guides etc, it will be even easier!

Doing the rev3 of the main board, I'm slightly amazed how dense the RLS is - can't really believe I got it to work in the first place!
crossinger
Tombola wrote:

I think the expanders are easier than the main module. It's slightly hard for me because I'm a year more experienced than when I did the original module, but there are far fewer and simpler components. Once Steven (Thonk) has done his magic with bags and detailed build guides etc, it will be even easier!

Thanks for your estimation. I think, I'll give the complete kits by Steven a try. His kits are top notch and allow even amateurs like me a sense of achievement. This is fun!
wotwot
wow, awesome. i'd definitely like to have

2x backpacks
2x pulses kits w/ sweeping panels
2x voltages kits w/ sweeping panels

cheers mate, 's f*n ace!

thumbs up
grilojoe
Just found this thread. I'm interested in the whole enchilada. I don't have the original RLS kit, so I'll be watching for that one too. This looks VERY cool.
craigwilliamsmusic
Defiantly count me in for one of each.
kbo
need smile) Any idea for the price of each modules ?
tobias
I'm in for 1 of each of the pcbs or kits if they're available
mechacthulhu
I am in for one or two of each expansion. I just built the turing machine last weekend and have parts for a 2nd. I keep checking the site for them to go on sale.
arrmcbain
Interested in one of each pcb, possibly full kits for both.

Thanks Tombola and Monobass! thumbs up
kbo
Interested in one of each expansion, pcb+panel or full kit
SlayerBadger!
lessavyfav
When will this be ready? I've been checking Thonk. Also, come on, somebody sell this in the USA :-)
ThomasVanTa
Tow kits of each!!! yuhuuuuu
xonetacular
definitely waiting on some PCBs
citric acid
nice videos.

cant await till its there. hope there is not a verry high request. last time i was to late . all kits out of stock....

thanks.
Monobass
The PULSES and VOLTAGES expander kits go on sale a week tomorrow - Monday 10th June.

This week I'm focusing totally on the packing and sorting of kits so it's highly unlikely the price will be published until the point they actually go on sale, maybe on Sunday 9th.

xonetacular
Are you planning on selling pcbs only as well?
Rigo
Monobass wrote:
The PULSES and VOLTAGES expander kits go on sale a week tomorrow - Monday 10th June.

This week I'm focusing totally on the packing and sorting of kits so it's highly unlikely the price will be published until the point they actually go on sale, maybe on Sunday 9th.

Now I really have to expand my diy case ... or maybe find a second hand LC9 somewhere.
Monobass
xonetacular wrote:

Yeah I have a whole bunch of PCBs and front panels loose for that purpose. They'll probably follow on a few days later once I'm over the bulk of kit shipping.
woodster
Good news.
I'll be in for some kittage when they are available.
Memory_Leak
@Monobass
are you selling just the pcbs and the sliders for the voltages-expander ¿
citric acid
Hi Monobas,

was the interest check here lika a pre order or do we have to order them on that day when you release it on your shop ?

sorry for that silly question, just want to get shure to get both kits in the first run we're not worthy
netpusher
Monobass wrote:
xonetacular wrote:

Yeah I have a whole bunch of PCBs and front panels loose for that purpose. They'll probably follow on a few days later once I'm over the bulk of kit shipping.

Awesome!! Can't wait to grab the PCB's, got the grayscale panels on order just for this! It's motherfucking bacon yo
Monobass
citric acid wrote:
Hi Monobas,

was the interest check here lika a pre order or do we have to order them on that day when you release it on your shop ?

sorry for that silly question, just want to get shure to get both kits in the first run we're not worthy

nope its just an interest check, I'm not honestly sure if I will satisfy the interest or not, as these threads only tend to give you an idea of the minimum, not maximum. But these kits are not massively intensive to put together like the 258J or the Turing Machine. I have nothing other than Thonk to do concentrate on in July and August so things will speed up a little for a period.
windspirit
are you going to be selling the turing machine soon also?
Monobass
windspirit wrote:
are you going to be selling the turing machine soon also?

Yes, but the expanders will quite possibly have sold out by then. I just make as many kits as I have time to make at any given moment.
square_wave
Monobass wrote:

Nice! I've been waiting for this one. I already ordered my Grayscale panel. It's motherfucking bacon yo
Monobass
As seems customary now I've been inundated with PMs and emails requesting reservations. I don't have time to administrate reservations, sorry. This is a pretty sizeable run though.
Monobass
busy busy

[/img]
mckenic
Did they go THAT quickly? Been checking between episodes of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix - guess I shoulda checked ofterer!
Monobass
mckenic wrote:
Did they go THAT quickly? Been checking between episodes of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix - guess I shoulda checked ofterer!

They're not for sale until tomorrow smile

I did just publish the prices on the website though.

To simplify things with regards to what different combinations of backpack and expander PCB you need, I'm making three different products available which include everything you need to build either or both expanders.

PULSES + VOLTAGES Kit

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-expande r-voltages-pulses-kit/

VOLTAGES Kit

PULSES Kit

Monobass
Oh if anyone wants both and the PULSES + VOLTAGES kit has sold out, just order the two separate products and I'll issue a refund after the fact.

Steve

edit: Just to confirm, they're not sold out yet! they haven't gone on sale yet!
mOBiTh
Cool beans, I'm after three kits!
appliancide
Kits without panels? Classy move! I'm all over that.
mpTRONIX
Monobass wrote:
Oh if anyone wants both and the PULSES + VOLTAGES kit has sold out, just order the two separate products and I'll issue a refund after the fact.

Steve

I thought sale is on 10.06. cry cry cry

steve....when they will be available again??
need:
Turing Machine Expander VOLTAGES + PULSES Kit
(spirograph) we're not worthy
or better:
with the "all in one" metal-panel... we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
if they come
Monobass
mpTRONIX wrote:
Monobass wrote:

Steve

It is, they haven't gone on sale yet. Dry your tears wink
mpTRONIX
Monobass wrote:
mpTRONIX wrote:
Monobass wrote:

Steve

It is, they haven't gone on sale yet. Dry your tears wink

yeah yeah yeah thumbs up

Band thumbs press Band
mOBiTh
CONFUSION hmmm.....

I've ordered my metal panels so I'm committed to three of each expander kit!

Shall I just sit here and keep hitting refresh? hihi hihi
Monobass
It'll be 1-2 hours yet. I'm readying other stuff that's going up for sale at the same time including

Ray Wilson Book
Thomas White LPG PCBS
Multimeter
Hand Tools - Snips, long nosed pliers, wire strippers
rosch
mOBiTh wrote:

i've been doing that all day hyper
sometimes i wish for a countdown!

Monobass wrote:

It'll be 1-2 hours yet. I'm readying other stuff that's going up for sale at the same time including

Ray Wilson Book
Thomas White LPG PCBS
Multimeter
Hand Tools - Snips, long nosed pliers, wire strippers

cool- i'll have a look at your tools too.
will you stock the 50cm dayglo cables again anytime soon?
mpTRONIX
mOBiTh wrote:

me too ...the whole day already meh Mr. Green
Monobass
rosch wrote:
sometimes i wish for a countdown!

Last time I did that the demand crashed the webserver... last time I released somthing with no notice I got lots of angry emails hihi

rosch wrote:
will you stock the 50cm dayglo cables again anytime soon?

I'll stock them as soon as Expert Sleepers do another manufacturing run, I think it's a couple of months away.
rosch
will i be notified when it's on my wish list?
Monobass
yep, wish list is the way!
rockwoofstone
I see they have just gone on sale, but there only appears to be an option for the "without front panel" variants.... The panel variants are all listed as out of stock....
rockwoofstone
Scratch that - I think I was just shopping faster than you were updating!
theabsent
Wow, it worked : )
Monobass
smile I think when the webserver is getting hammered it pays to just refresh the page.
rockwoofstone
Heheh - yeah, exactly! d'oh!
Monobass
Seems to be going ok....
Monobass
Looks like my server can take a beating now!
clorax hurd
i'm getting logged out when i go to checkout :/
Monobass
clorax hurd wrote:
i'm getting logged out when i go to checkout confused

Try clearing your browser cache.

Also try a different browser if you have one.

Not come across that before.

What OS and browser version?
kurodama
I hope they won't sell out too quickly. I need two kits!
nd595
managed to log in and buy Voltages kit. Now waiting for after 17.06...
mpTRONIX
nd595 wrote:
Now waiting for after 17.06...

me too Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green w00t

and need more r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.rack-space meh Mr. Green applause
Monobass
I think Voltages might sell out today.

I have more sliders on order (with red LEDs) but I won't have them until late July.
kurodama
Quote:
I think Voltages might sell out today.

yeah I had that tickling feeling in my belly it was on the way to sell out, so I just bought two kits! smile
Tombola
Wow!

Although voltages does make me smile every time I see it, I think I use Pulses more often.

Although at the moment 'use' mainly means 'make blips to test spring reverb', so my judgement may not be very helpful.
Tombola
Here's the draft documentation for the backpack, pulses and voltages:

http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/random-sequ encer-expander-documentation-v1.pdf
Monobass
Tombola wrote:
Although at the moment 'use' mainly means 'make blips to test spring reverb', so my judgement may not be very helpful.

that's a pretty good description of the main bulk of my musical output.

Or as the NME once wrote in a review - "sounds like R2-D2 falling down a mineshaft"
citric acid
1 2 3 ordered payed...cant wait :-) It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo i got one It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo
kurodama
Did I mention that the Turing Machine is really loads of fun? It can only get more fun with the expansions!
Monobass
It *is* so much fun.. I know y'all think I HAVE to say that wink but having basically 3 different versions of the main output and then pulses to do all kinds of stuff with is so cool.. like driving the clock of a second Turing Machine with expanders wink
nd595
Great Thanks to Tombola for doing all that - nearly perfect design (but who is perfect?), and outstanding generosity.
I bought Pamela's workshop from Tombola too, and use it often.
rosch
yeah the Turing machine is great. now that i have the aluminum panel and put it where it belongs (in my rack) there was some subtle frowning in the band wink they were using it for filters and weird distortions (Barbour type).
i'm really looking forward for the expansions, especially the pulses.
Taylor
With as much fun and use as I get out of my Turing Machine, I just had to go ahead and get both expanders. I was thinking about getting the Kilpatrick Pattern Generator for semi-random tonal noodling, but it looks like the Voltages expander will provide even more interesting polyphonic noodles by using the different outs to quantizers and then controlling VCO pitch.

Then again, I'm sure someone will say I need both...
citric acid
Taylor wrote:
With as much fun and use as I get out of my Turing Machine, I just had to go ahead and get both expanders. I was thinking about getting the Kilpatrick Pattern Generator for semi-random tonal noodling, but it looks like the Voltages expander will provide even more interesting polyphonic noodles by using the different outs to quantizers and then controlling VCO pitch.

you need both It's motherfucking bacon yo

look at the video some posts before this one. verry nice , cool rhythmic .
knob_alchemist
No....too late for me for a Voltages Kit... very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating

Hey Steve, also new Voltages kit at the end of July?
kwaidan
I managed to get a pulses kit, but the voltages kit has already sold out. Any idea when more will be available?
Taylor
citric acid wrote:
Taylor wrote:

you need both It's motherfucking bacon yo

look at the video some posts before this one. verry nice , cool rhythmic .

Oh I'm getting both expanders for sure. The question is whether the Kilpatrick Pattern Generator would be made obsolete by the Turing+Expanders.
Monobass
Ok loose frontpanels and PCB sets also now for sale. Thanks for your patience.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/turing-machine-acrylic-front-panels/
http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-expande r-pcb-set/
netpusher
Monobass wrote:
Ok loose frontpanels and PCB sets also now for sale. Thanks for your patience.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/turing-machine-acrylic-front-panels/
http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-expande r-pcb-set/

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
It's motherfucking bacon yo Rockin' Banana!

just picked up 2 sets!
Monobass
Some images of Pulses

Monobass
And the backpack

[/img]
Monobass
my camera went a bit weird during voltages so these are incomplete for now

rosch
nanners got mine today!!
so cool, thanks!
nd595
Got mine, assembled Voltages and Backpack in less than an hour, everything works beautifully, Million Thanks!

Two suggestions to those building the expanders :
Don't forget to get rid of the tiny fixing bit on the pots immediately after you get pots out of packaging, and when soldering pots and sockets to PCB attach the front panel with all nuts, making sure everything fits and PCB is parallel to the panel.
Protofrangiste
Yo Monobass, I received the kits yesterday, that was quick, thanks!

[edit] moved technical question to buid thread...
Monobass
I have one VOLTAGES+PULSES kit WITHOUT sliders if anyone is interested. So if you wanted them with the green or yellow LED sliders these might be a good option for you perhaps.

PM me
bsmith
got mine today, slapped it together in a flash. easy fun build, and hell yeah this is an awesome breakout. killer design tombola, and nice kit monbass!
bsmith
argh double post on accident.
citric acid
got mine on monday. thanks.
knob_alchemist
Received email notification about Voltages availability but just checked and appear sold out :( :(
Monobass
knob_alchemist wrote:
Received email notification about Voltages availability but just checked and appear sold out :( :(

There are two of the Voltages+Pulses bundles in stock

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-expande r-voltages-pulses-kit/

I managed to procure an extra handful of sliders.

The next big batch of sliders is due at the end of July.
L
I just finished assembling them and did the first test! Gorgeus! hihi

Taylor
Just like the Turing Machine itself, the expanders are now finding their way into every patch I make. Combined with my Doepfer A-156 quantizer, I'm able to get really musical random sequences.

I just realized that the Pulses expander follow the pulse width of the input clock, which is pretty neat. [/list]
Monobass
Monobass wrote:
I have three VOLTAGES+PULSES kits WITHOUT sliders if anyone is interested. So if you wanted them with the green or yellow LED sliders these might be a good option for you perhaps.

PM me

Just one sliderless kit available now. Could be a good option for anyone who wanted to do a smaller knob based panel instead.
citric acid
build was done quite fast. verry easy. wow the module was great, but with the new functions..... awsome. thanks .
mOBiTh
couple of weeks to wait till i get my metul panels - can't wait.

I've just realised I have 17 sequencers MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Alwaysnew
Building the Backpack now and I soldered one of the 4081 the wrong way (see image). Does this matter? It looks like it's the same in both ends apart from that half-circle hole in the plastic on one side. Please help!

[/img]
Taylor
You only soldered the socket wrong, correct? So just make sure you put the IC in the socket the correct way.
Tombola
Alwaysnew wrote:
Building the Backpack now and I soldered one of the 4081 the wrong way (see image). Does this matter? It looks like it's the same in both ends apart from that half-circle hole in the plastic on one side. Please help!

That's right - the socket orientation doesn't matter - it can go either way - but the orientation of the IC itself is crucial - the notch or dot must match the notch or dot on the silkscreen. So - socket can be 'wrong' so long as you ignore the marking/notch on the socket and match the IC to the silkscreen.

If you get it wrong, the chip may get very hot (finger-burningly hot) and be destroyed, and sometimes other components can be damaged.

Happened to me last time I built a RLS!
Alwaysnew
thanks! great.
just to double check; the yellowish components for the backpack are the fuses (that can go in either way) right?
Tombola
That's right, the fuses go either way, the diodes must match the silkscreen.

The fuses are magic - they trip by getting hot, then recover once they cool down after a second or two
kurodama
those fuses are totally cool! Think I need to buy a bunch of those for future projects! smile I guess they work based on the amount of current that flows through them, at which amperage do they "trip"?
Alwaysnew
For voltages: The two blue, roundish capacitors, can they be mounted the wrong way? I don't see any indicators on them.
kurodama
no, if it's the ones I'm thinking, they are not polarized. You can mount them both ways.
Tombola
Yes, the blue caps can go either way

If anything has a polarity, it is on the silkscreen
kurodama
actually ceramic caps are never polarized, Tantalum and Electrolytic ones usually are.
Monobass
Tombola wrote:
Yes, the blue caps can go either way

If anything has a polarity, it is on the silkscreen

The only exception in these kits off the top of my head is the LEDs on PULSES. The longer lead goes in the + hole on the PCB.
Monobass
A reminder of the photos I posted on page 9

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83878&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=160

As ever life is stopping me finishing the illustrated build docs in an acceptable timeframe... I think it'll be a couple of days yet.
kurodama
Those pics were really helpful! thanks a lot! Did complete the build in no time, once I had a free evening.
and man... I really love those! They're not only total fun, but they even look really great! Usually I don't like plexy so much, but this is one of those cases where plexy really is the perfect material.
Great work on these!

Here's a lousy video from me btw.
Sorry I screwd up big time with the audio here... it didn't record it, so I had to use the camera audio. Which is lousy I know! I Promise to do it better next time!

Alwaysnew
Finished my kit last night. Both modules work! Great instructions! Great modules! Thanks!
Non-Digital Tom
I'd get these right now, but I'd need the Turing Machine first and it's out of stock. neutral
Monobass
Good news. I'm at the start of the process of buying components for the next run of Turing Machines.
Non-Digital Tom
Monobass wrote:
Good news. I'm at the start of the process of buying components for the next run of Turing Machines.

What about just the PCBs? I'd be okay with just the panel/PCB.
Monobass
Yep, PCBs too. They're always the longest lead time.
rosch
oh oh oh oh did anyone else run into problems with the voltages? i think i've destroyed most of my ICs yesterday night while trying to fix my stupid connections (by connecting the RLS without backpack backwards at last producing a wonderful smell of burnt *something* hehe)

the issue was (and probably still is) that the steps were producing their CVs just for a very short time, like trigger time and the rest of the gate was the low default tone of the VCO. also the LEDs were just blinking very briefly, just like the pitch.
i suspect it could be that i have some connexion between pins of the resistor network and IC on the other side and the metal body of the faders.
there aren't so many other components actually so i guess that must be it unless someone has another idea.
gonna try and fix it but it could be i need to order some ICs for my RLS first, but gonna try that too
d'oh!
kurodama
not really sure what you did exactly to burn your backpack but it didn't happen to me smile
rosch
no i didn't burn the backpack. i made it with a reverse protected power connector. but later after trying this and that i connected my RLS without backpack and somehow reversed that one so probably i need some ics first before i can make more tests.
Monobass
one thought... the VOLTAGES expander should be attached to the GATES expander port on the backpack, and pulses to pulses... you don't have them the wrong way round?
rosch
yes i had it both ways of course whistlin'
i should not test new stuff in the darkness during a jam session wink
kurodama
oh I got it. yeah never do these things in the wrong moments smile
Monobass
For those who would prefer a build document with images, here is the Thonk build doc for BACKPACK and PULSES

http://www.thonk.co.uk/Documents/Turing/expanders/TuringMachine_Expand ers.pdf

It'll be updated for VOLTAGES later this week.
mattrick
I was pleasantly surprised to have my order arrive on Friday, particularly as Thursday was a holiday. Got the boards populated but now i'm kicking myself for not getting some acrylic panels as a temporary measure, as I'm still waiting on the Grayscale panels before i can get this shizzle racked up d'oh!
makers
Edit: moved to build thread
Monobass
here's the rest of the Voltages photos. at the end of this post.

Monobass wrote:
my camera went a bit weird during voltages so these are incomplete for now

Tombola
Always so nice to see these pretty boards - mine are always gnarled up prototypes...
djthopa
Any news on the restock? Thanks!
Monobass
djthopa wrote:
Any news on the restock? Thanks!

Im still due to get more sliders at the end of July, so a few days after that hopefully thumbs up
Monobass
I'm now selling sets of the sliders needed for VOLTAGES separately for anyone that is having trouble sourcing them

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-modular-sliders-for-voltages/
Paranormal Patroler
Hey Monobass,

I'm about to get the Expanders kit but I'd like to get another RLS PCB as I will be just needing that and some sockets for my girlfriend's Turing Machine. Got the components for that already. Any estimation on when the PCB's will be available?
papercutnoise
Grabbed me some Turing Machine and Pulses/Voltages kits today. Really looking forward to getting these into my system! Thinking they may be great fun with a Shift Register smile need to grab an Elby ASR kit now I guess!
Monobass
Expanders PCB sets and sliders are in stock for anyone who doesn't want to wait for the next round of full kits

JJCarr
when is the next round of full kits due to be released?
Monobass
It's in progress, I think mid October seems reasonable thumbs up
JJCarr
thanks! looking forward to getting my hands on them, sad i missed the last batch
Monobass
don't forget to hit the 'add to wishlist' button to get an email as soon as they come back into stock. I always give the people on the wishlist a couple of hours to get their orders in before I announce it more widely.

Rigo
Managed to spend some time with the kits hihi
So now I have 2 fully expanded RLSs, the expanders were easy to build but I still had to do some resoldering on the RLS that happened to be my first ever diy kit ... lots of blinkenlights now w00t
Still a SEM VCF kit to finish, then it's time to order some parts for the PCBs I managed to collect the last year. Unless somebody happens to make other interesting kits of course.
mr.chielos
Hi there fellow wigglers!

I have three Turing machines but none of them work properly.
Two the machines I've built myself but the third one I bought from somebody else. They all have the same problem, in the long mode with the center knob turned to the left there are always 8 steps turned on in the sequence. Even if I clear the sequence they appear immediately when the write switch is back in neutral mposition.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
C
Monobass
Your situation still baffles me mr.chielos I'll admit...

Just to check the 'length' switch is the 2 position switch, and the 'write' is the 3 position momentary switch that always returns to the middle position automatically?
rockwoofstone
Isn't this the correct behaviour? I.e. With the knob turned all the way to the left, the sequence is locked in the default state, so you'll get 8 steps on then 8 steps off as the sequence inverts.
sammy123
rockwoofstone wrote:
Isn't this the correct behaviour? I.e. With the knob turned all the way to the left, the sequence is locked in the default state, so you'll get 8 steps on then 8 steps off as the sequence inverts.

That's what I was thinking.
Monobass
I think mr chielos is saying that all the LEDs are constantly lit in that position regardless of what has happened previously... I think smile
rockwoofstone
The only reason I was thinking this is that he mentions that he can clear the sequence, then it fills up again, which sounds like it is moving along, but may be locked. He could maybe make sure that the knob is set in the middle so that maximum randomness is present, just to be sure.
mr.chielos
Monobass wrote:
Just to check the 'length' switch is the 2 position switch, and the 'write' is the 3 position momentary switch that always returns to the middle position automatically?

jep, correct. write 3 position momentary.
length 2 position switch.

rockwoofstone wrote:

Ok, does this mean that in the 32 step mode you ALWAYS have about 8 consecutive steps on in the memory? even if there is a random sequence in the memory? Maybe I'll have to check it again and to see if it does work correct.

Anyway thanks for all the help!!!

Cheers,
C
Monobass
I don't think were going to get anywhere without a video. Otherwise we're bogged down in syntax...
rockwoofstone
What he said!
mr.chielos
ok, ok. I'll check my turings, if it is the case that they dont work properly i'll post a video. otherwise... I'm just an idiot for not understanding haha oops
Monobass
Well there's a level of operation with the Turing Machine which is very intuitive, and then there's a level 'under the hood' which certainly isn't as intuitive, so idiocy is certainly not implied smile
Kommandoh
Just built a Turing Machine with both expanders over the weekend. I am having a blast!
concretic
If I want to decrease intensity of the leds (I've swapped for whites 2x3x4) on Voltages, do I need to replace the whole RN2 or just to add some resistor between GND and RN2?
muckmires
Just built the Turing with both expanders, and I'm having a great time, but I seem to be experiencing yet another quirk from what I've read here. With the length switch up, I only get sequencing activity between 9 and 11 o'clock on the dial. Further to the left, it locks up on one note, and towards 12 o'clock and on to the right, it ceases sequencing altogether. Now with the length switch down, it seems to work just fine. The pulses and voltages expanders work just fine as well. Any ideas?
Monobass
Does it exhibit that behaviour with the backpack removed?
muckmires
Yes. I built it first, and it does it with AND without the backpack, and expanders attached.
Monobass
ok can you post photos of both sides of the main board. the kind of photos you'd see in the build docs, high res, well lit, in focus and square on.
muckmires
Will do that this week. Another bit of information: when I turn the knob completely to the left, the sequencing freezes on one "note" but the pulses still clock. When I get to "noon" and to the right, the pulses quit.
Monobass
that does sound familiar to be honest, I'm sure someone encountered something similar, but with many hundreds built now it's hard to keep track of everything. you probably want to search through here too - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60740
muckmires
[img]https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix/10582_turing_1_1.jpg[/i mg]
[img]https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix/10582_turing_2_1.jpg[/i mg]

I'm new to this aspect, so I hope I inserted these correct. Talk about nervous! Hey world! Here's how I solder! Splat![/img]
Monobass
do you have a shot of the other side too?
muckmires
[img]https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix/10582_turing_3_1.jpg[/i mg]

Here we go. Sorry!
Monobass
I fixed your image links, they're below.

Ok just quickly looking at your pics my first concern would be that you've very possibly got some bad joints and that the boards need a good clean, or at the very least a good going over on with a toothbrush, I can see a lot of solder splatters and a lot of flux. There could easily be unintended short circuits hiding in there.

Then the other concern is that your iron is not hot enough or you need to work on your technique a little more.

The photos are overexposed so it's hard to tell, but picking one example, the diode pads normally fill nicely both sides with solder but there barely looks there like is any on the pads on the component side, and what is there looks blobby potentially a cold joint. Another symptom is I can see gold pads visible on the LED block, if your iron was hot enough and you're heating the pad and the lead equally the solder should just shoot in there and fill the pad instantly.

Those joints I've mentioned may be okay, but there are plenty of others I can't really see, lots of joints on the component side where solder isn't making it the whole way through, and even on the other side joints which barely look like they've been touched with solder.

This image from the Adafruit guide to excellent soldering is helpful, as I think you have quite a few 'cold joints' by the look of it. A good joint on a resistor will look like one of the 'OK' joints on both sides of the board.

This video is really worth watching all the way through too:

Don't give up, as you have the circuit working 90% by the sounds of it, I think it's just most likely now the problem is either a short or a bad joint somewhere.

[quote="muckmires"]
[quote="muckmires"]
muckmires
Thanks. My iron is a Weller that has a 1-5 adjustable setting, but no real temp setting. I've been using it at "3" but will kick it up a half step and see what happens then go up from there.
Thanks for the tips!
Monobass
No worries, if it's an old tip then the temp setting may not be the whole story.. also what solder are you using?
muckmires
Kester 60/40. I put a new tip in today, cranked it up a wee bit and went over what I could see. That's my other problem, I'm a relative late-comer to this and my eyes have started to go a bit, so if I'm going to do much more of this I need to buy one of those BIG illuminated magnifiers. It's hard to admit that some of this (even with the drug-store magnifier glasses) I just can't see very well with what I have. Thanks very much for the advice. You've got a lot more patience than I have!
Monobass
Somehow after 40 years of abuse I have good eyesight still, but those big lit magnifiers are awesome regardless.

Well your iron and solder is top stuff so I'd focus on making sure you are heating both the pad and lead simultaneously, and when you introduce the solder start by kind of sliding it down the hot tip towards the pad, rather than sticking it directly on the very tip or on the cool pad.

It's one of those things that is 50% muscle memory.
muckmires
Well, this string has a happy ending! I'm up and running with all systems go!
You've got a great module and as I said are very patient with your customers. Cheers!
Monobass
Guinness ftw!

99% of problems with the Turing build (all builds in fact...) are just bad solder joints that can be easily resolved with patience.

Of course people always assume the parts are bad first Mr. Green
But its pretty natural, I do it too hihi
earlabs
Okay, got my first TM + expanders built....phew!! WITH grayscale panel. Looking spiffy, indeed.

There are various things to sort out:

1. the pulses stop pulsing after a minute or so.

2. in the voltages dept. slider 2 is not working at all and slider 6 doesn't function when it's in its right position

Will do some multimetering on Tuesday evening and report.

If in the meantime someone can shoot some pointers that would be great
Dead Banana
muckmires
As the man said, double and triple check ALL the solder joints. I had to get a better magnifying device so I could see my work, and boy...it made a difference.
dJ dAb
Sliders anyone? Mouser and Thonk seem to be out of stock. Thanks!
thelizard
dJ dAb wrote:

I just ordered green instead. If you go to the slider page and search for similar products, you can find alternatives. Otherwise, the Mouser restock date is available by clicking the "Backordered" link next to the product.
dJ dAb
thelizard wrote:
dJ dAb wrote:

I just ordered green instead. If you go to the slider page and search for similar products, you can find alternatives. Otherwise, the Mouser restock date is available by clicking the "Backordered" link next to the product.

Tempted to do the same but really would like blue or red. For some reason I think there are alternatives out there but dunno. Thanks.
b-art
Can anyone tell me the difference between the main pcb v1 and the v2? I know v2.1 changed the polarity issue. I am asking since i bought a second hand turing with expanders and hybrid panel which has a main pcb with v1 and expanders with v2...

Am i missing out on something with v1 vs v2? Should i make custom changes to v1 that were accounted for already in v2?

Thanks.
nectarios
Thread necromancing!

Got mine this morning, love it already.

First go
reodjectz
Anyone have a part number on JUST the LED part of the Voltage (gates) sliders?

One of mine has gone out - and I realized you can just pull the LED right out of the slider part.

-v
qfactor
For the Pulses 2.1k LR resistors, can I just use 2k or 2.2k?
Seems the 2.1k is a little hard to come by from my sources seriously, i just don't get it
reheller
Hi! With my first DIY just finished (Turing Machine mk2) I'd like to know what I need to do to daisy-chain several Volts expanders. My 2 kits are waiting for assembly, and if everything runs as smooth as with the TM (great kit, great documentation, btw) I should be ready to power up within the next days.
Thanks for your help :-) Reinhard
Monobass
reheller wrote:
Hi! With my first DIY just finished (Turing Machine mk2) I'd like to know what I need to do to daisy-chain several Volts expanders. My 2 kits are waiting for assembly, and if everything runs as smooth as with the TM (great kit, great documentation, btw) I should be ready to power up within the next days.
Thanks for your help :-) Reinhard

Reinhard, the Volts expanders have two headers, so you just connect the turing GATES with a ribbon cable output to VOLTS 1, then connect the second header on VOLTS 1 with a ribbon cable to VOLTS 2 etc.
Abyssinianloop
Was there ever a dark acrylic version of the panel made for the Volts expander? That's what I'd like to go with my spirograph themed Turing, Pulses, and Vactrol Mix.
Monobass
Abyssinianloop wrote:
Was there ever a dark acrylic version of the panel made for the Volts expander? That's what I'd like to go with my spirograph themed Turing, Pulses, and Vactrol Mix.

No those acrylic designs predate the Volts by about 4 years, all the original designs that I used to manufacture are here if anyone wants to design a Volts

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4111086/Turing%20Mk%20I%20Acrylic% 20panels.zip

The Spriograph font is 'Egyptian 505' and the Sweeping Arcs font is 'FranklinGothic2'

I won't be manufacturing any more acrylic panels for sale on Thonk although I do still have a bunch for sale at low prices

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/turing-machine-panels-pcbs/

If anyone want to do a group buy then my manufacturer was 4D Modelshop - http://modelshop.co.uk/

with this spec

"Manufactured in "Acrylic 3x420x720mm dk grytint", it's important that the material is transparent and not opaque as the panels have LEDs fitted behind them.

It's also vital that the paper is left on the panels so that the engravings can be easily paint filled."
Abyssinianloop
Thanks for all the good info. I imagine most people prefer aluminum panels, but I love the way the dark acrylic diffuses the LEDs. I was thinking of completing my original turing with a Volts for the space saving, but maybe I'll grab one of those original Voltages panels.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 11