MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[ORDER] Grayscale panels for Buchla/Toppobrillo 281 (Euro)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [ORDER] Grayscale panels for Buchla/Toppobrillo 281 (Euro)
sempervirent

These panels are for the Buchla/Toppobrillo 281 PCBs:
http://grayscale.info/panels/buchla-toppobrillo-281-dual-function-gene rator/

Here's the PCB order thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97375

I'll take preorders until the PCB order closes, and ship panels approximately three weeks later.

The panels are designed for the Dual version of the PCB (in terms of the standoff alignment) but should also work for the older Single version if you use L-shaped standoffs and stack two boards. The holes are drilled for 16mm Alpha pots and Kobiconn 16PJ138-style jacks. LED holes are 0.125" and the panel width is 16hp.
demian
2 for me please, and maybe one more if i can find one extra pcb. :-)
sempervirent
Thanks demian, you can order using the link above. I gave up on doing group buys through the PM system!
demian
Ok, paid for two. 8_)
sempervirent
Thanks, got it. If you find that extra PCB, let me know and I'll send a payment request so you don't have to pay for shipping twice (which will happen if you order through the site again).
demian
Thanks! thumbs up
Monobass
applause

that looks so much better than the quad designs
sempervirent
Thanks, I had you in mind when I put all the jacks on the bottom smile

I prefer this one as well, the Quad was such a dense layout.
Monobass
it makes all the difference in euro.. those 4U designs translated to 3U can look great on paper... but this will be a lot more fun to use smile
toppobrillo
cool, thanks for doing these. the mother board and interwiring and sandwich mounting was never going to be "easy" or nice or clean for a quad done with these boards in euro that wasnt huge, this looks nice and tidy.. i still want a nicer quad panel for mine but its fine the way it is for now.

I just wanted to chime in here and let peeps know we wil be re-running the dual boards and also providing parts-kits near the end of the month. I'm working with someone here who will handle all of the order processing, packaging, shipping and emailing involved and in a timely professional manner, cuz i suck at that these days. so I'm only around for tech support questions [which you can PM here or email me] sorry to spam but those interested in this project would be best served by some corroboration i suppose.
frozenkore
Oooh, that's nice looking. Will definitely be ordering one of these!
sempervirent
toppobrillo wrote:
sorry to spam but those interested in this project would be best served by some corroboration i suppose.

Not spam at all, I'd actually thought about contacting you guys to see if you were planning to do another run of boards. Full kits are even better. I think it's time for me to develop proper soldering technique...
toppobrillo
cool. we're getting the site set up now to take orders.
2thick4uni
Really pleased toppobrillo is doing another release of the dual 281 pcb, so on the basis of that I've already placed my panel order applause

Allan
sempervirent
Thanks Allan!

I just added the panel to ModularGrid:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/grayscale-dual-function-generator-buchla- toppobrillo-281
sempervirent
Bump, about 10 days left to order these.
logicgate
Has anyone given up building this project?

I surely could buy the PCB's...

Don't know if this project will have another run, I would certainly get one panel
kssm
Quote:

Don't know if this project will have another run, I would certainly get one panel

I ordered a panel since Toppobrillo suggested that new boards are being made (quoted below).. Looking forward!

Quote:
I just wanted to chime in here and let peeps know we wil be re-running the dual boards and also providing parts-kits near the end of the month. I'm working with someone here who will handle all of the order processing, packaging, shipping and emailing involved and in a timely professional manner, cuz i suck at that these days. so I'm only around for tech support questions [which you can PM here or email me] sorry to spam but those interested in this project would be best served by some corroboration i suppose.
logicgate
kssm wrote:
Quote:

I ordered a panel since Toppobrillo suggested that new boards are being made (quoted below).. Looking forward!

Quote:

Great! Thanx man
sempervirent
Yes, I checked with Toppobrillo, boards and kits have been ordered and will be available soon.
synaptech
Ouch this doubles the cost from the last panel thread! very frustrating
sempervirent
It's all part of my plan for world domination Flamey

Seriously though, with the Quad, you'd have to factor in the cost of the daughterboard as well so the difference is not huge.
sempervirent
Bump... I was going to close this preorder on Monday, June 1 but the kits are not available from Toppobrillo yet. They have been ordered though. Anybody holding out for the kit before getting a panel?
pulse_divider
I'd be interested in building one of these but am not at all up-to-date as I stopped following that thread last year.
They are making kits now, not just PCBs? Is there a consolidated thread for info on this project that is up-to-date?
I just perused the end of the other thread and didn't see anything useful regarding the kits, just the panel.
Thanks.
sempervirent
Check the first page of this thread for a post from Toppobrillo:

toppobrillo wrote:
synaptech
sempervirent wrote:
It's all part of my plan for world domination Flamey

Seriously though, with the Quad, you'd have to factor in the cost of the daughterboard as well so the difference is not huge.

I think JunkRhythm quoted $30 for panel and daughterboard before. very frustrating

Unfortunately don't have room for 4 EGs this size. d'oh!
sempervirent
I didn't follow the whole saga but the original thread says $25 plus shipping for the panel, no mention of the daughterboard.

Anyway, Toppo now has a few 281 kits available:
http://thesynthpatch.com/product/kit-toppobrillo-buchla-281/
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87987

I'm going to extend the preorder for another week to ensure that everyone who wants a panel can get one.
sempervirent
Bump... preorder closes Monday, July 8.
sempervirent
Preorder closes tomorrow...
sempervirent
Panels have been ordered... they will be shipping out in 3-4 weeks. I got about 20 extras, and once they come in I'll be sending some to Thonk as well.
sempervirent
Panels were shipped to me today. Estimated delivery date is next Tuesday so I'll be shipping them out by the end of next week.
Kakihara
oh my! I've missed this one!!

Are there other kits planned to be released?
sempervirent
Looks like the PCB kit is sold out, but more boards are on the way. Check the first post of this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1217877

As for panels, I'm still taking orders for a second batch:
http://grayscale.info/panels/buchla-toppobrillo-281-dual-function-gene rator/
sempervirent
Panels have arrived, and they look great. I will be shipping them within the next few days. I am still taking orders if anyone missed out on the first run.

ringstone
BTW you might want to ping anyone who expressed interest in a Eurorack panel in the 281 order thread who hasn't ordered already. I only chanced upon this thread by accident, and I missed out on the first run...

Cheers
Blair
sempervirent
I thought about it, but didn't want to spam anyone. Seems like a few people were also down for the original Quad panel that Junk Rhythm was offering but didn't want one or more Dual panels.

I'm going to leave the second preorder open for a while, at least until Toppobrillo/Synthpatch offers more PCBs. So anyone that missed out on the first run still has some time to get a panel.
joshuagoran
I'll order a panel when PCBs are available again! I need to better learn the Buchla number system so I don't miss out on things like this! smile
sempervirent
Yeah, sorry – there wasn't space in the thread title to spell everything out. That's one reason I put "Dual Function Generator" on the panel (not to mention that nobody wants a module called the "140.5")
sempervirent
All 281/DFG panels from the first run been shipped. This includes all orders prior to 2013-07-22. If you ordered before this date and didn't get a notification email yet, let me know. If you ordered after this date, it will still be a few more weeks before Toppobrillo/Synthpatch offers more PCBs, so it will be a few more weeks until I get enough orders to do a second run.
spotta
Ordered 12th June, no notification yet seriously, i just don't get it
sempervirent
spotta wrote:
Ordered 12th June, no notification yet seriously, i just don't get it

Just sent you a PM with tracking info.
spotta
Sorted applause
kssm
I ordered on 6/18/2013 and still haven't received a package or notification. We've been in contact through email as well and last I heard was on 8/6 that you will be shipping over the next few days.. Updates?

Thanks!
sempervirent
kssm – just sent you an email with info.
spotta
Got mine. Cheers thumbs up
sempervirent
Thanks for letting me know. Build pics next?
spotta
sempervirent wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. Build pics next?

Up to here atm.
Jonachi
sempervirent

Just sent you an email about this! hihi
alexdsteak
@Sempervirent

I placed my order the 3rd of July, but no email surfaced...and no panel
in the mailbox either.

A.
negativspace
Mine arrived at some point while I was on vacation... they look great! Dunno when I'll have time to build one up, but I'm looking forward to it. I've been wanting another one of these in my rack for a long time.
sempervirent
Jonachi, alexdsteak check your email and PM inbox (respectively).

And thanks negativspace – good to know you were on vacation, I sent you an email about a week ago.
Kakihara
hey sorry for lame question, but how do you call those knobs... small ones and big ones... and where are they available to purchase?

thanks!

g.
sempervirent
Not a lame question at all. Those are Rogan PT Series knobs which are available from Control. If you want to use those knobs, you should use spline-shaft pots (I think they are 6mm, 18 tooth, but I'm not 100% sure).
kssm
Mine had arrived on the 12th, all is sorted! The panel looks really great.
I can't wait to build it after my J3RK 258s. Thanks!!
sempervirent
Anyone know what's up with the next batch of PCBs that Toppo was planning? The end of August has come and gone, haven't heard back from them via email.
Monobass
I sent a couple of mails about ordering PCBs for Thonk, waiting for a response also.

I have 25 of the Grayscale 281 panels I just haven't managed to find time to list them on the site yet. If anyone is desperate PM me.
sempervirent
I still haven't heard anything about new boards, so I went ahead and ordered enough panels to cover existing orders. I don't want to get caught up in anybody else's delays. I'll have the panels in about two weeks, and monobass already has some as well.
mush
Thanks for the update!
sempervirent
No problem, thanks for being patient.
sempervirent
Panels were shipped to me today, should be about a week before I can start shipping them out.
kssm
Synthpatch,
Do you have any idea as to when you'll have the PCB only or PCB kit in stock again?
sempervirent
I'm not sure Synthpatch is subscribed to this thread, might be better to PM/email or post here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1217877

DFG panels come in on Saturday, will be shipping early next week.
sempervirent
Most DFG panel orders will ship today. (A few orders also contain panels for the Fonik Sequential Switch, etc, which are still in preorder and will ship in one package in about a month.) Please send me a PM if you didn't get an email from the US Postal Service with shipping details. I have 14 panels left, still no sign of more boards from Toppobrillo however.
mush
My panel arrived on friday and I got time to wire it up on saturday. Thanks a lot!

sempervirent
Looks good. Seems that you might need a new case though wink
Kakihara
Got mine too a few days ago smile

@mush: What number/size/name of the knobs you use on the attack and decay?
I have those on my 258 kits and really like them, probably gonna go this direction for the 281 too wink

Thanks

g.
mush
@Kakihara:

Davies 1910cs:
http://dk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Davies-Molding/1910CS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZ MuiwDVLTMm01TwsEK17ZmQPXvwKNkqdM4s%3d
(it is the mid-size knob on the 258j-kit)
Kakihara
Yes exactly the mid size one!!!

Thanks a lot smile

g.
sempervirent
Just wanted to give this a bump since PCBs are available again:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97375
sempervirent
Looks like a new run of 281 PCBs is finally in the works. Synthcube will likely be selling kits (with Grayscale panels), but I'm still taking separate panel orders as well.
Juxwl
How about another run of panels?? I'd be down for two.
sempervirent
SynthCube still has them in stock, actually:
http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3 26
NS4W
I built two of these, but would like two more! CV over attack and decay does so much to make a sequence come alive. Are there plans for a re-run or are they in stock anywhere now? I need both PCBs and panels.
sempervirent
Looks like Thonk and SynthCube both have PCBs:

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/toppobrillo-281-pcb/

http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name= toppobrillo&product_id=325

Nobody has panels though. I'm open to restocking either shop or doing another run of panels if Toppobrillo is open to doing another run of PCBs.
thelizard
NS4W wrote:
I built two of these, but would like two more! CV over attack and decay does so much to make a sequence come alive. Are there plans for a re-run or are they in stock anywhere now? I need both PCBs and panels.

What's your location? I have an empty PCB and a Panel with hardware that I'm most likely not going to build. If you're in the US, I could sell it to you.

Edit: Just saw on your Soundcloud that you're in Norway. I could sell it and charge extra for shipping. Just shoot me a message.
Monobass
I have these back in stock now... For a limited period I'm giving away the Toppobrillo PCB free with the Grayscale panel too.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/grayscale-281-panel/

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 4