MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
os
Quote:
I am thinking of 0-5.3 for pitches and higher resolution for special tunings

But why not use the full -5.3V to +5.3V range?
subultresk
os wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking of 0-5.3 for pitches and higher resolution for special tunings

But why not use the full -5.3V to +5.3V range?

Aaaahhh! Your questions are always very smart!
I walked into the zero-trap-land between digital and analog! ;-)

A while ago i made some micro-tuning tables for pitch and pitch bend (14bit/LSB-MSB) - some tunings might be possible with pitch only if i have a 12bit resolution.

Thanks a lot! I got it. That's cool! A Base. Damn! ... full 12bit!
I've used the 4CVs mostly as LFO's and for FM (+/-).... and did far too much programming in the last time...

Since you are playing live a lot - and the live-setup is a true obsession of mine woah - i've just entered the post-Laptop-age!
It feels great: very quick, easy, small, compact, lightweight and no "open" cables or loud ventilation (my almost dead 17'Macbook).
Now a MacMini does the job quietly inside the case. "On the road" i use it with a USB-monitor only. The iPad, keyboard and 4 pedals are the computer-controllers (and a Leap-controller) - superb! A great setup - also with ES-modules (besides AES)!
On the SKB-rear is a Mamba-patchbay. Only the USB-monitor needs a (USB-) cable...
Since it's a typical ES-setup i post two pics here.... The hybrid-instruments deserve their own topic - soon!

... enough free space for a second ES-4-ensemble!
os
Very cool!
subultresk
Yeah - full range! Yesterday i've played the pitches with a ESX-4CV and it gives a much wider range than 256/4. Played the keyboard as fast as i can (@ 44.1) and it still felt better than pure MIDI. Funny, because it's a MIDI-Keyboard. It seems to be good to work with hot data (MSP/audio-rate) as soon as possible (after the keys) - but maybe it's just my impression... ;-)

The tuning isn't too perfect with ±5,3V (ESX-4CV): tuned from the middle key there is a light detuning in the upper and lower regions. Could this be because of the ±0,3V? Are those "extra" ±0,3V to overdrive some parameters for warmth/distortion? I've seen that quite often in Eurorack now... (?)

I still don't get that bipolar/unipolar (or ±5V/0-10V) thing... Since some CV-In want 0-10V - will i need a "Full Wave Rectifier" (like Pittsburgh CV-Bender or ADDAC208) to convert the voltage? eek!

Cheers
os
Quote:
tuned from the middle key there is a light detuning in the upper and lower regions

How confident are you that your oscillator tracks perfectly over the 10 octave range?
subultresk
os wrote:
Quote:
tuned from the middle key there is a light detuning in the upper and lower regions

How confident are you that your oscillator tracks perfectly over the 10 octave range?

Yes, of course - i don't know. I tried it with DixieII and Rubicon (they are my best tracking oscillators) and i compared it (ESX-4CV) to the ES-4 0-10V tuning. It's not really wild, but... I will measure the -5/+5V Values and try it "a bit" (...can't be too much steps of the 12bit if it should even work more precisely).

I am just checking my modules. It seems there are only one or two that ask for 0-10V (Quantizer and Random-Generator)...
subultresk
what do you think?

Such nice Max/MSP-objects deserve a help-patch! (even if i did it) help

If you put the es4encoder~.maxhelp into your msp-help folder, it will open automatically when the es4encoder~ object is alt-clicked.

Download es4encoder~.maxhelp

thumbs up

w00t
os
SlayerBadger!

So glad I have my users to do my job for me smile
subultresk
os wrote:
SlayerBadger!

So glad I have my users to do my job for me smile

At least a way to show my appreciation (besides buying your great modules)!

thumbs up

(can't believe that there are still only 2 downloads of the es4encoder~.mxo)

seriously, i just don't get it

zombie zombie zombie
mckenic
Thank you, thank you, thank you OS & Subultresk!!!
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
might be a dumb question, but will that work in windows? hyper
theres no link for a windows based max external on expert sleepers site, yet....
subultresk
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
theres no link for a windows based max external on expert sleepers site, yet....

I am afraid there is no windows based max external yet.
You will need those externals to run the help-patch.

(there are only dumb answers, no dumb questions...)

meh
subultresk
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:

I am afraid there is no windows based max external yet.
You will need those externals to run the help-patch.

(there are only dumb answers, no dumb questions...)

meh
subultresk
Yeah mckenic and CTRL - let's thank OS for this beautiful tools! Wow, 3 people - that feels already crowded!

Since my maxhelp-patch ignores audio i made another example with both possibilities.
Maybe it is also a bit clearer.

1. Example

Audio rate is faster and might be the way to "beat" the 6-12kHz of the ES-4… Since Audio rate is updating all the time nothing needs to be triggered. Keep in mind that 255 is a very high value in the Audio-world. I don't wanna try what happens, if this value goes to a dac~.
AFAIK 1.0 is 0Vu in Audio and 5.0 should be 5V if used as CV (if the interface is able to produce that much). Since i've never tried that kind of stuff i can't say anything about that. The idea of working with hot data as CV is very interesting and pretty straight forward! Stretta made a beautiful collection called BEAP. Check that out! Inspiring, beautiful and most of it easy to understand!

Introduction: http://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?title=BEAP_Analog_Model_Curriculum _Outline

Download: https://github.com/stretta/BEAP/wiki/BEAP-Modular---Overview-and-Insta ll

2. Example

In Numbers this is what ESX-8GT is asking for. I made this to show the similarity to the Audio-version. Since Numbers have to been triggered, the pak object sends a new list to zl.sum every time a toggle has been changed. zlsum sums the list values. Quite boring - almost Prussian - might also need more energy than necessary.

3. Example

Let's get philosophical, ecological and artistic. The programming of this example could be a little harder for our brains, but computational it might be the cheapest way (since accumulation and bit-shifting are cheaper than multiplication and summing). It's a little logic story which i can enjoy today like i enjoyed music-performances in recent times. There are quite a few little things happening - some lissajous - action - a little dance that results in the correct numbers. Fun! Do you recognize the beauty?

Max is great!

w00t
mckenic
we're not worthy

I moved set-ups and haven't got my Expert Sleepers modules up and running again yet... This thread has inspired me to get back on the horse this weekend!

thumbs up
subultresk
mckenic wrote:
we're not worthy

This thread has inspired me to get back on the horse this weekend!

thumbs up

What do you think about a new thread about a hybrid Max/MSP-ES-Modular?

There are so many common points - like
- what should or can be controlled (speed and resolution of the ES-hardware etc.)
- Trigger and Gates (i.e. how to produce 8V triggers/gate to trigger modules)
- Rectification (get only positive voltages)
- Interface (controllers, iPad, Touch-OSC, Lemur MIRA, pedals)
- Max/MSP tool-kit for ES-modules
- Max/MSP Seq, LFO, Random-Generators/Shift-Registers
- Max/MSP Granulator/Sampler/FFT/VST controlled via CV
- MIRA Multitouch - Buchla-esque iPad Controller
- software with audio-rates - like Stretta shows us with BEAP - any benefits with ES-modules?
- instrument design (creating "one" portable and "easy to use" instrument)
- much more

Champagne
sandyb
subultresk wrote:

There are so many common points - like
- what should or can be controlled (speed and resolution of the ES-hardware etc.)
- Trigger and Gates (i.e. how to produce 8V triggers/gate to trigger modules)
- Rectification (get only positive voltages)
- Interface (controllers, iPad, Touch-OSC, Lemur MIRA, pedals)
- Max/MSP tool-kit for ES-modules
- Max/MSP Seq, LFO, Random-Generators/Shift-Registers
- Max/MSP Granulator/Sampler/FFT/VST controlled via CV
- MIRA Multitouch - Buchla-esque iPad Controller
- software with audio-rates - like Stretta shows us with BEAP - any benefits with ES-modules?
- instrument design (creating "one" portable and "easy to use" instrument)
- much more

Champagne

i think that would be interesting. i haven't really posted in this thread because i use an es3/6/7 setup so don't need the externals.
mckenic
thumbs up

My knowledge levels wouldn't be up there enough for me to contribute but I would be a willing tester hihi
subultresk
sandyb wrote:
subultresk wrote:

Champagne

i think that would be interesting. i haven't really posted in this thread because i use an es3/6/7 setup so don't need the externals.

Great! Nice to meet you again (now with Adat interface grin )!

Since i use a MH-Labs LIO-8 as my "mainly line"-audio-interface, i have to work with AES-EBU. On the AES-Bus i need one stereo-ch-Send and two stereo-ch-Return for my Quantec room simulator - i don't want to miss the Quantec in my small setup. This means i've got 6ch Out and 4ch In for CV on the digital Bus.

I've already tried many ways to establish a smooth connection between cpu and modular and it was much more difficult than i had thought before. Especially since i am working with some so called "high-end" stuff makes it even more complicated - i.e. audio I/O (besides AES): how to get happy if you listen to a Doepfer-amp through high-end converters...

Then i used two interfaces (Mac aggregate device) with a Lightbridge ADAT interface and ES-3 (i hope you're still happy with it). The aggregate device produces too much latency and the whole system felt horrible - like just before the spinning beachball of death (mac) appears. I don't like that.

Because of the decision to use only one interface i tried a quite expensive solution with a RME AES-to-Adat Box. I had clock-problems that resulted in no operation/no sound. The first Input of the RME is waiting for something that didn't happen. It seemed to be a communication problem between the RMR Steadyclock and MH-clock (which is fantastic). I sent back the RME-box.

Since i can't effort another cpu/interface in acceptable quality and with Adat, i went to ES-4 and Thomas Funk's converter cables. This was the point things got better.

I'm not used to work with vst~ (and i try to avoid it). Normally i create my patches in Max. Unhappily the ES-4Max-externals didn't work on my SL-Macbook. 4 weeks ago i bought a Mac Mini and now it looks like i finally can start using the modules without fighting with the system.

Ok - let's start that thread. Where should i post it??
It's ES and non-ES, mostly Max (maybe), but not software....

Modular General Discussions?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Or should we stay in the ES-lounge?
sandyb
the es3 is doing fine. i scared myself a bit soldering on the expander cable for the es6 but it's all working well. picked up a cheap mk1 motu traveler for the adat ports.

for me, using max/msp with my modular is very much linked into the ES hardware. i certainly couldn't be bothered making up special cables and only using certain dc coupled hardware.

so i think this subforum is a good place for such a thread.
subultresk
sandyb wrote:

for me, using max/msp with my modular is very much linked into the ES hardware. i certainly couldn't be bothered making up special cables and only using certain dc coupled hardware.

so i think this subforum is a good place for such a thread.

OK. I'll prepare something...
subultresk
Ok - the new thread is here:
Let's talk about a Max/MSP/ES/Modular-Hybrid
waah
hpsounds
subultresk wrote:
os wrote:
No idea what's going on with your missing library. What was the error exactly?

... the screenshot...

I'm also on OS X 10.6.8 and having exactly the same problem in Max 6.1.3.

help help help

H.
subultresk
hpsounds wrote:
I'm also on OS X 10.6.8 and having exactly the same problem in Max 6.1.3.

help help help

H.

Not the best news to start the day, but i haven't found any way to run the externals under 10.6.8. - if you search Google you'll get many problem-stories… It doesn't seem to work with OsX 10.6.8 or below…

It's sad to see the new directions of Apple - the "think different" times are definitely over. OsX 10.8 is again a hard cut - a lot of software doesn't work anymore and the system feels more and more like Windows. So many little tricks you have to know… the whole App-store-thing isn't exactly my taste as well… (as the Demo-less iTunes software is).

I had to change since my Computer died and i am really happy that most things work again for me finally - but i had to leave behind Logic8 and Bias-Peak - now using Reaper and thinking about buying Logic X.

Max is running very smooth - i would say "better" - that's my main point, but many things in the workflow needed to be changed…

At least the best thing for me was to run the Expert Sleepers Max-objects!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4