MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

newrun dual Buchla 281 boards- at Synthcube & Thonk soon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author newrun dual Buchla 281 boards- at Synthcube & Thonk soon
toppobrillo
UPDATE: I'm pleased to announce Synthcube and Thonk UK will be distributing, so save those PMs' smile they'll keep you updated on when stock arrives (should be ~mid Feb)

Hello again-

my partner and I are no longer working together on this, so I won't be making the kits any longer, however I realize there is and has been a persistent demand for the boards, so I'm making (finally) another round available. I can't really gauge how many, so please PM me with your desired quantities and a firm commitment to buy. they should be ready within 2 weeks of closing the order, get the BOM here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/80lwyvx3l25x4ru/Buchla_2812.zip (also linked in the 281 page at my site)

they are 15$ ea and shipping is a flat-rate 5$ USA and 8$ O.S. thanks! I'll keep the order open for a week or so.
decaying.sine
You might want to contact synthcube. He might be interested in purchasing a bunch and then they can be available at his store. That'd be cool if you are cool with that.

I'll take 4 of these. Firmly.
J3RK
Agreed, Synthcube is great to work with on this sort of thing. Well, especially in my case. I'm a lot less organized though... oops Either way, good to see these come around again. w00t
toppobrillo
hm maybe I should just keep thesynthpatch alive and do it there... still it would be nice to get an idea. please PM me with your desired qtys for now. Ill count it up and order that many plus some for the store.
Synthsense
I am interested in 2 boards, please, straight from You or Synthcube if you come to an agreement for selling them in their shop, whatever you prefer is fine for me

Guinness ftw!
Pfurmel
I'd say monobass might be interested in a bunch for his shop, THONK, too.
Synesthesia
I want 4 please !
Monobass
yeah PMing now
harolddonnelly
Re read subject - sorry
drip.feed
Guys help me out. I'm having trouble finding what a 281 brings to the party. Obviously it is a looping envelope but it must be greater than the sum of its parts due to its popularity. Can you point me at audio/video that shows what the 281 can do?

My sdiy backlog contains a dual Teezer, dual 291J, quad LPG...do I want some 281s? seriously, i just don't get it
GrantB
drip.feed wrote:
Guys help me out. I'm having trouble finding what a 281 brings to the party. Obviously it is a looping envelope but it must be greater than the sum of its parts due to its popularity. Can you point me at audio/video that shows what the 281 can do?

My sdiy backlog contains a dual Teezer, dual 291J, quad LPG...do I want some 281s? seriously, i just don't get it

The 281 has rise and fall times which are separately and simultaneously voltage controllable. See Mr. Bartons excellent "Building the Krell Muzak Patch" for an example of why this is cool:

The CGS VCS can do this too, as well as both halves of a DUSG. 1/4 of a 281 is quite a bit more compact than these options though.
widdly
I would like 1 of the PCB's. Thanks!
drip.feed
Wow! I'm definitely getting some of these. SlayerBadger!

Has anyone offered panels for them?
Raytracer
Grayscale has panels . Not sure who else..
grilojoe
Say that's pretty spiffy! I'm seeing a couple of these in my future too.
lvoemachine
oooh, yeah these look great. ill be making some MU panels for this one, looks like.
kssm
PMed for three! w00t w00t w00t
keninverse
PM'd for 2... very firm, not just a supple commitment.
lamouette/rck
I'll get 2 of them !
Synesthesia
Are they the Dual version of the board ?
kssm
I believe they are: "new run Dual Buchla 281 boards"
Synesthesia
Quote:
kssm

feeling daft now wink thanks though!!!!
sammy123
I'd Like one. Thank you.
harolddonnelly
PM'd for 2 when do you need payment?
bernd.wender
PM'd you for two.
sempervirent
Euro panels just sold out but I'll take preorders for as long as the PCB order is open:
http://grayscale.info/panels/buchla-toppobrillo-281-dual-function-gene rator/
Razmataz
MP for Sempervirent Mr. Green
sempervirent
Responded. VCA/Mix panels will be here on Wednesday, check the thread for details.
kssm
Synesthesia wrote:
Quote:
kssm

feeling daft now wink thanks though!!!!

Ooops! Didn't mean to sound brash.
Spip
I would like 2. Thank you ! w00t w00t

PM'ed
tds
pm'd for 1. Thanks!!
patchdub
5u folks, i have a panel for this project that i'm not using...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1361916#1361916
kssm
Please let us know when you are ready for payment, Toppobrillo! I have two $20 bills sitting on my dresser, it's my dedicated DFG account.
jjsynth
I'm interested in 2 boards.
robot909
Count me in for one board. thumbs up
lintfresh
I'm in for one board! thumbs up
memorygardens
pm'd for one.
synthcube
We PMed as well.
morelius21
hi,

one unit for me please.

Thanks
Smugrik
Hi, I would love two boards for the dual buchla 281 please, firm commitment.

thanks for making a new run of these!

edit: PM sent
cane creek
I would like a PCB hope I'm not too late thumbs up
sicpaul
I would love to take 2 pcbs. love
ju4n
PM'd for 2! hope im not late on this one.
norbwuertz
PMed for a couple of boards if its not oo late
delayed
2 PCBs please
kssm
I sure hope this happens in 2013!
JoeMatt
pm'd for 2 as well if open.
ttown23
PM'd for 4 boards if possible!
ashleym
I think I sent a PM on the 30th for two boards. The message is in my outbox and says it sent on 30/11/13??????? Does that mean it sent or does it need to appear in my sent box?
mumblinstevedubya
1 for me please if I am not too late?

thanks thumbs up
bernd.wender
ashleym wrote:
I think I sent a PM on the 30th for two boards. The message is in my outbox and says it sent on 30/11/13??????? Does that mean it sent or does it need to appear in my sent box?

I my case the message is in the sent box. Date says Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:13 am

I never really understood the difference between the boxes BTW.
cane creek
I PM'ed on 24th November regarding Buying a PCB but heard nothing since seriously, i just don't get it , I do hope these PCB's are still for sale.

The PM is in my outbox does that mean toppobrillo hasn't received my message ? I'm another member who doesn't understand what the outbox is for ?
memorygardens
outbox means the receiver hasnt open and or read the message. sentbox means that have.
cane creek
memorygardens wrote:
outbox means the receiver hasnt open and or read the message. sentbox means that have.

Thank you for clearing that up thumbs up
bernd.wender
cane creek wrote:

The PM is in my outbox does that mean toppobrillo hasn't received my message ?

Not necessarily. I have a couple of messages in my outbox which have been answered by mail. Since most users get an eMail notification whenever a private message is sent to them, they reply via eMail without actually opening the private message. So I wouldn't care too much if a message is in the outbox or in the sentbox.
bernd.wender
]double dip[
Low-Gain
I'm in for 4 !
Low-Gain
I'm in for 4 !
Synesthesia
Any news with this ? smile
grilojoe
Synesthesia wrote:

Been wondering the same thing myself. hmmm.....
memorygardens
grilojoe wrote:
Synesthesia wrote:

i have just assumed this isnt happening. shit happens sometimes and life gets in the way of diy synth builders. It just part of it. doesnt bother me, just hope for the best.

happy holidays
Kakihara
help
Synesthesia
memorygardens wrote:
grilojoe wrote:
Synesthesia wrote:

i have just assumed this isnt happening. shit happens sometimes and life gets in the way of diy synth builders. It just part of it. doesnt bother me, just hope for the best.

happy holidays

Ah no no no smile I need this to happen now smile got panels and stuff smile
aristote
Hello !
I'm in for 3 PCB if they're still available !

Edit : Just PM'd for the ordering smile
Thanks thumbs up
aristote
no news... any one received any PCB from this batch ? seriously, i just don't get it
i've been too fast on this... ordered Panels and electronics parts....
cane creek
Sent several PM's about wanting to buy PCB but no replys
Synesthesia
Same here .... ordered 4 Panels :((((((
bernd.wender
Synesthesia wrote:
Same here .... ordered 4 Panels :((((((

Has anyone heard from Toppobrillo w.r.t this new run? I sent him a PM immediately after he made the announcement but got no reply. This is almost 2 months ago now. So I wonder if this will happen...
Synesthesia
I sent him a couple of PM\questions after he posted, and got replies\clarifications smile so there is no doubt this run was going to happen

it seems to me like something caught up with him - Delays are annoying but that happens smile - I really hope he is ok.
Synesthesia
I sent him a couple of PM\questions after he posted, and got replies\clarifications smile so there is no doubt this run was going to happen

it seems to me like something caught up with him - Delays are annoying but that happens smile - I really hope he is ok.
camelneck
I'd also like to know what is going on.
Is this just another teaser post?
I've been waiting for 5 years to purchase some of these wonderful PCBs and for various reasons I always miss the deadline to place a preorder.

In June 2013, Topps announced that he be was in the process of doing a new run of these PCBs and said he would be stocking them on his brand new "Synth Patch website" and told us to stay tuned.

After monitoring the website for a few weeks and seeing no update regarding these PCBs, I PM'd his girlfriend (synthpatch) and asked her what was going on. She told me to send her an email and she would put me on the list which I did. Well, it has been 6 months and I've yet to receive any updates. In the meantime, I have been checking the Synthpatch website once a week to see if any of these PCBs were available for sale.

When I discovered this thread today and read Topps post, I almost died!!! eek! Why hadn't I been notified? I suppose to be on a list that notifies me when these PCBs are available!

Lucky for me, it was just another teaser post and to the best of my knowledge no new run of PCBs has been made yet. Boy, am I relieved. I would have died if I had missed out another opportunity to purchase these wonderful PCBs.

IMHO, it would help if Topps extended the deadline for placing a pre-order from 1 week to 4 weeks. There are a lot of people like myself who only get a chance to log on to Muffs once every 1 or 2 weeks. So a 1 week window just doesn't cut it.
camelneck
I definitely want 2 of these PCBs and have sent Topps a PM for 2 of them.
oberkorn
2 boards please please make this happen help
Synesthesia
Bump .... please someone make this happen !!
Maco
2 pleaseee zombie
Kakihara
Hello!!! Is it me you're...

4 pcbs please wink
toppobrillo
Quote:
In June 2013, Topps announced that he be was in the process of doing a new run of these PCBs and said he would be stocking them on his brand new "Synth Patch website" and told us to stay tuned.

After monitoring the website for a few weeks and seeing no update regarding these PCBs, I PM'd his girlfriend (synthpatch) and asked her what was going on. She told me to send her an email and she would put me on the list which I did. Well, it has been 6 months and I've yet to receive any updates. In the meantime, I have been checking the Synthpatch website once a week to see if any of these PCBs were available for sale.

When I discovered this thread today and read Topps post, I almost died!!! eek! Why hadn't I been notified? I suppose to be on a list that notifies me when these PCBs are available!

because "synthpatch" was a pet project to get my now ex-girlfriend involved for both our sake- it is no longer and neither are we, I have no idea who she followed up with via the Zoho email or not..

so I've been on a mental vacation for a while, ignoring most all things synth and trying to get my head back on straight. It's been a rough few months, but I'm happy to say that I'm getting back in the groove, and checking some of the things I'd neglected off my list- so in the mean time, I've received a couple of offers for distribution, I've responded to these and see where they go. I'd like to get this sorted this week for sure, If nothing else I will handle the packing/ shipping vis a vis an employee of mine here. so- what'd I miss?
twisted

edit: I meant also to say I'm sorry for neglecting this, mean it
Synesthesia
What an excellent news wink

applause applause applause thumbs up w00t MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Littlem4tt
yes excellent!!

I would like to order 1, how do i pay?
cane creek
1 PCB please thumbs up
STØJ
PMed for 1 pcb.
gbiz
I'd be in for a PCB please smile
Synesthesia
in for like ... 8 smile
wotwot
cool. i thought i was too late already..
i'd be in for 4 boards please It's peanut butter jelly time!

thank you
drip.feed
Synesthesia wrote:
in for like ... 8 smile

LOL... lol
magneticstripper
2 please
craque
PM sent for 2!
harolddonnelly
Great to see this moving forward!

Already PM'd for 2 boards long ago, when do you need payment?
spauldingjeffrey
I would like one if they are still available.
ctrl+z
I am in for 1 pcb.
aristote
Still in for 3 PCB smile applause thumbs up
toppobrillo
update- see title and first post!
broon_777
Pm'd for 2

Cheers!
Monobass
Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo

no need to PM me either wink They'll be on Thonk for sale in the usual way, no pre-orders and a large batch so no need for rush buying.
synthcube
ditto for synthcube- we have plenty coming in, excited to be carrying the pcbs, and plans for pcb/panel bundles and full kits smile
Synesthesia
Glad to see that guys smile

I hope the price will be similar as announced by Toppobrillo though.
aristote
excellent news !! thumbs up
bernd.wender
Monobass wrote:

no need to PM me either wink They'll be on Thonk for sale in the usual way, no pre-orders and a large batch so no need for rush buying.

Good news indeed! Is it possible to combine with the IC sockets group buy to save shipping costs?
oberkorn
WØW this just went from ??? to !!!
Monobass
bernd.wender wrote:
Monobass wrote:

Good news indeed! Is it possible to combine with the IC sockets group buy to save shipping costs?

If they were already in stock it would be fine, but sadly the timelines on the group buy and the PCBs won't overlap, by at least a few weeks.
Ginko
Monobass wrote:

as always: yessssssssssssssssssssssss
bernd.wender
Monobass wrote:

If they were already in stock it would be fine, but sadly the timelines on the group buy and the PCBs won't overlap, by at least a few weeks.

OK, no problem. I'm glad that you take care of this run, Monobass. it's nice that it's possible to get these things in Europe. Much easier than ordering everything from the States.
Spip
bernd.wender wrote:
it's nice that it's possible to get these things in Europe. Much easier than ordering everything from the States.

Just curious... May I ask why ?

In this case, the PCBs go from US to UK and next from UK to the rest of Europe instead of going directly to you. Shipping from UK is not cheap at all and take often more time than from US. UK doesn't use euro, so you have to pay bank fees. And last but not least VAT which you usually don't pay for PCBs. Without speaking, of course, of paying a second handling time on top.

No offence but I'm not sure to see a bargain here seriously, i just don't get it
memorygardens
will the kits work for V.2 and V.3 pcbs?
bernd.wender
Spip wrote:

Just curious... May I ask why ?

It is all about customs. If I order components from the States they normally get stuck at the customs office (luckily not always). The worst case is if they send you a letter asking to describe exactly what it is and to provide an invoice. Then you either fetch it from the customs office or pay an additional fee to the post office to get it for you. This takes time, money, and nerves. wink
You are right, UK is not part of the Euro zone, but it is part of the European union. So there is no toll. Bank fees are moderate, especially if you pay prr credit card or PayPal.

What I like most is the model Mouser uses. You can order at Mouser Germany, but the package comes right from the States. It normally doesn't take more than a couple of days. I pay in Euro and all the customs stuff is handled by Mouser Germany. It looks just like an intra EU transaction.
Spip
Thanks for the details. I have never encountered these sort of problems with customs here. eek!
Ginko
I am just getting together the BOM - really struggling with the 49.9k 1% metal film resistors, am I missing something here?

I worked with a technician once who said you could file down resistors to get lower values - is this true? hihi

edit: also, what am I looking for with the polypropylene capacitor? I have seen a few with a wide variety of voltage ratings
bernd.wender
Ginko wrote:
I am just getting together the BOM - really struggling with the 49.9k 1% metal film resistors

What about this one?

Mouser Part No:
271-49.9K-RC
Manufacturer Part No:
271-49.9K-RC
Manufacturer:
Xicon
Description: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 49.9Kohms 1% 50PPM
Reality Checkpoint
Ginko wrote:
I am just getting together the BOM - really struggling with the 49.9k 1% metal film resistors, am I missing something here?

I think these may be the ones you want:

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MF1-4DCT52R4992F/?qs=%2fh a2pyFadujx107AAlVRuugplMnSWEeePL%2f1caF6FiyJsu5Q%2fpoxhXTFSbUs1kRj

thumbs up
Ginko
Any advice on the polypropylene capacitor? I don't really know what I am looking for

edit: found resistors on cpc by the way, worked out a little cheaper than mouser thumbs up
synthcube
if you would like to receive an automatic email when the pcbs and the pcb/grayscale panel bundles are in stock, you can click on the links here:

http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3 25

http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3 26

expected date depends on toppobrillo and grayscale but will hopefully be around 1 march 2014
sempervirent
Ordering panels today, just FYI.
Monobass
You can join the wishlist to be informed of when the 281 PCBS (and TWF too!) come in stock at Thonk here -

http://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/toppobrillo/
Spip
Monobass wrote:
You can join the wishlist to be informed of when the 281 PCBS (and TWF too!) come in stock at Thonk here -

http://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/toppobrillo/

Done w00t

Any idea of the delay ?
Monobass
They hopefully ship from the states this week.
Spip
Nice !
kssm
Driving Great news!
synthcube
we've had the same news-- pcbs shipping to us this week, panels in stock awaiting the PCBs smile
synthcube
happy to report that the Toppobrillo 281 PCBs and Grayscale panels are now IN STOCK:

http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=t oppobrillo

smile
sammy123
Bought. Thank you synthcube.
Monobass
Well I'm pleased to say the Thonk stock... appears from the tracking... to have currently got as far as.... Miami smile

Trying to work out how international USPS parcels take so long to actually leave the US... Well that path leads to madness smile
makers
Sorry if this has been answered before...

How deep is this dual build behind the the Grayscale panel?
thresholdpeople
Hey all,

I've put together a mouser project for all of the components except the panel mount pots, and jacks.

I ordered jacks on erthenvar.. mouser stocks kubiconn, but they're a lot more expensive than erthenvar's grab bags.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=ea765 901df

The project is for 1 make of the 281-2.

There are a few different colors of LEDs, if you're getting multiple panels and PCBs, you may not need those LEDs to keep adding.. up to you. I mostly added a bunch to see which one's I like, and to be able to have different LEDs for different sides of the panel.

I also went with 3 SPDT switches, as opposed to 2 SPDT, and 1 SPST to avoid the pulldown resistor, and specing a different switch.

All the resistors are 1%, Xicon mostly, as that was the cheapest, and most available for the values.. tried to go Vishay at first, but many values were unavailable.

The 2.7K Xicon resistors are backordered. I ordered these instead: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MF1-4DCT52R2701F/?qs=%2f ha2pyFadujx107AAlVRuoXNEsnjEbVXh2SGr8tyCraA666kDZdWVFyzfU14CnL2

I was gonna get hex standoffs too, but not sure how long, etc they need to be, so I saved that for another time.

Also, here: http://www.sdiy.org/toppobrillo/DOWNLOADS/2812_DUAL/Dual%20281%20PDF.p df lower value resistors are suggested -- "PERHAPS
USE SMALLER VALUE HERE FOR "SMOOTHER" LED ACTION; 22K ORSO LOOKS GOOD ON MINE"
So, I ordered some of those as well, they did not make it into the project -- http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=271-22K-RC

I'm fairly sure everything is correct... if anyone catches any errors in this, let me know!

Boris
makers
Awesome, thanks!
bernd.wender
Monobass wrote:
Well I'm pleased to say the Thonk stock... appears from the tracking... to have currently got as [...] smile

What's the current location? Heathrow? wink
Monobass
I want to throw this concept for a 12hp TWF panel out there... This module would likely be 90mm deep, the board would be mounted at a right angle to the panel in similar fashion to the Thomas White LPG.

I'm also considering quite a different 12hp layout to the original with all the jacks at the bottom instead.

Monobass
bernd.wender wrote:
Monobass wrote:
Well I'm pleased to say the Thonk stock... appears from the tracking... to have currently got as [...] smile

What's the current location? Heathrow? wink

the mysterious 'International Hub'.....
Monobass
another option

cane creek
thresholdpeople, thank you for the mouser project thumbs up

Steve/Thonk some nice panels there thumbs up
xahdrez
Yeah, I have some other synth stuff sitting at that same 'International Hub' - starting to think some guy who works there is building himself a wall of synth on the sly.

Panelwise both look good - depth is not likely to be too much of a problem for me, but I'm more into option two as I prefer sockets at the bottom.
Monobass
thanks! layout criticism welcome on the panels
Monobass
perhaps this one is best of both worlds

xahdrez
Works for me! thumbs up
synthcube
What about the grayscale panel?
Ginko
Well monobass' panel is only 12hp - that's the tipping point for me!
gbiz
The jacks at the bottom layout looks good to me.
synthcube
Ginko wrote:

Excellent point! Great to have options
Ginko
synthcube wrote:
Ginko wrote:

Excellent point! Great to have options

Yeah I am one of those guys... hihi
Monobass
revisions, revisions smile

Monobass
281 and TWF boards finally in stock at Thonk thumbs up

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/
Ginko
I dropped my order as soon as I got the Think e-mail hihi
4285407da1d2a63820a3007c1
Couldn't resist the deal, got 4 281 PCBs. You can never have too many EGs etc etc.
bernd.wender
Monobass wrote:
281 and TWF boards finally in stock at Thonk thumbs up

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/

Cool! Placed an order.
Ginko
I am still looking for .1uf polypropylene capacitors, the only ones I have found are high voltage, I imagine that they would be too large for the board - does anyone have any suggestions?
bernd.wender
Ginko wrote:
I am still looking for .1uf polypropylene capacitors, the only ones I have found are high voltage, I imagine that they would be too large for the board - does anyone have any suggestions?

What about this, for example?
Mouser Part No: 505-MKP20.1/100/5
mrbloor
bitsbox are good

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_81& products_id=405

or

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_76_ 79&products_id=383
Ginko
mrbloor wrote:
bitsbox are good

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_81& products_id=405

or

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_76_ 79&products_id=383

That's more like it! thanks both! we're not worthy
milkyjoe
The mouser BOM in this thread doesn't seem to work.

Someone willing to share a tested/working BOM for this?

Surely someone has one!

thanks!
cane creek
Just got my Mouser BOM order for 281 and for the 10 X 49.9k resistors they have sent these Brown Military resistors, I've put a normal resistor in the photo so you can gauge the size, so i assume this is a mistake or do i use them ? can i use them ?

These brown things can be found on mouser Here

Monobass
Yeah they will work fine if you can fit them vertically perhaps

Depending on how many you are buying, these are the best value 1/4w 1% metal film resistor ranges at Mouser

XICON - http://uk.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&N=4294759688+429476210 8+4291965373+4294010798+1323043

KOA SPEER - http://uk.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&N=4294759671+429476220 7+4291965373+4294619412+1323043
cane creek
Monobass wrote:
Yeah they will work fine if you can fit them vertically perhaps

Thank you for the Reply, Vertically sounds like a plan thumbs up
NS4W
Does the different PCBs differ in any way?
(I think I have two from an early run)

EDIT: Here's the build thread btw: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70020&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 7