MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Enclave cases rails...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Enclave cases rails...
chorus7
Ok I'm not new to Euro by a long shot but I am new to Enclave cases and their rails...

Excuse my language but what the fuck kind of sick and twisted torture device is the fucking rail system!!!!! very frustrating angry very frustrating

The screws don't fit! I had to twist one in so hard I broke off the screw in the nut... Seriously! What the hell... Why don't they come with the proper screws?!? I think some of the US manufactures get their rails from Europe but don't realize that there is a difference between Metric and Imperial treading on screws!... Holy crap I have a beautiful case that I can't even attach my modules to...

Seriously so sorry for the rant...

Does anyone know where I could get the right screws (bolts)...

(Small print I did get this second hand so it might be a case of the previous owner not sending the right one and if it is then my apologies to Enclave (hides) )
ekwipt
I ended up buying hex anodised screws from eBay and plastic washers from Ethervner so that I don't mark my modules, they look great. Will post some pics later if you want.

I stress I didn't like th screws that comes with the case, and they look a bit cry IMO on my fine modules, but other than that it's a great case
stephenvit
looks like Ctrl in Brooklyn has the screws:

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/product-p/screws-m2.5.htm
thelizard
Enclave includes the screws with their cases. The previous owner should have provided you with them!
chorus7
Thanks guys I'm going to check the Ebay ones and if not then Ctrl...

Again many thanks...
reodjectz
Are you talking about m2.5 screws? Just get them from mcmaster (or almost any hardware store). 6mm in length if you are not using a washer, 8mm if you are.

Where did you get your case from? This doesn't sound like something enclave would do.
giorgio
enclave forgot the screws when i bought my case but a quick email to them and they shipped the screws right out to me smile
ignatius
most cases are 2.5mm screws these days. most modules come w/the doepfer standard screws which are 3mm.

so, it's not an enclave thing that is screwing you up.. it's just a different size threaded insert/nut.

ps - i hate sliding nuts. what a nuisance. threaded inserts for life! razz

4ms modular rows have threaded inserts that require 2.5mm screws, enclave, goike... most of the others..

tiptop Z rails, gorilla box, doepfer are 3mm screws for the threaded inserts.

it's my guess that module manufacturers will sooner or later stop including screws w/their modules since everyone has different requirements for their cases.. .or maybe they'll provide some of each size.

then the shops will sell bags of 100 screws for like $5 or whatever.. they aren't expensive.
regardless
Wait so I can slide something into my monorocket / enclaves and get all the little holes rather than sliding nuts? You may have just made my day! Where do you get those inserts
Dstone
I have to say I'm now in love with the sliding nut thing. I use a toothpick and the supplied screws and have found a more calculated approach when installing modules. The fact that it takes a bit more time causes me to check and recheck my connections. After some time it's the new normal if not better way of doing things.. For me.
drip.feed
Dstone wrote:
I have to say I'm now in love with the sliding nut thing. After some time it's the new normal if not better way of doing things.. For me.

Yep, me too I think. I don't want little gaps between my modules so it's the only way.

Also: SQUARE NUTS! Hex nuts get stuck too easily.
johnwynberg
My first case was a Doepfer. It was ridiculously easy, so I never thought much about rails, screws and so on. Next, I got a Monorocket, and the first day I almost cry of frustration, until I realised all my screws were too big… Had to order some m2.5, and wait for them to arrive before I could use the case. Very annoying, but I should have checked. I couldn't blame Monorocket for my incorrect assumptions. Now I also have an enclave, and I don't really mind the sliding nuts. Having said that, I haven't had the 'joy' of trying hex ones.

The Doepfer is so easy, but sometimes can leave little gaps between the modules, and a gap towards the end of the rail. Sliding nuts, you can get a very tight system...
chorus7
So it ended up being the seller sent me the wrong screws... He's sending me the right ones...

So I feel I should say sorry to Enclave d'oh! ... Sorry for the rant...

And thanks for all the info everyone...
mapmap
you should edit the title of this post now that you figured out the problem.
tta
Eurorack screw sizes are 3mm not 2.5mm.

The 2.5mm screws are used with Vector rails that makes them for industrial control systems and are cheaper than standard eurorack modular rails. Now you got two sizes of screws and a big headache for users.
ignatius
regardless wrote:
Wait so I can slide something into my monorocket / enclaves and get all the little holes rather than sliding nuts? You may have just made my day! Where do you get those inserts

essentially.. you can't. unless you buy like 100 direct from the source. as far as i know they are not available from any manufacturer a la carte but perhaps you can send out emails to various case builders and find out??

you would have to take your rails out in order to access the slots on the ends of the rails to get the threaded inserts into the rails.
giorgio
i def bought threaded inserts at one point for my one-of-his-early-cases goike case

edit: from bigcitymusic but they were from modularworld
makers
Edit: Link updated- I previously linked the wrong item.

I'm going to try these in a Monorocket soon.

http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=15003&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9879&storeId=1019 4

Also, my Monorocket uses 4/40, not M2.5
scottmoon
makers wrote:
I'm going to try these in a Monorocket soon.

http://www.newark.com/schroff/30819-594/threaded-insert-for-horizontal  /dp/92B7328

Also, my Monorocket uses 4/40, not M2.5

Will these fit the Vector rails they sell? I talked to Newark back when I built my case and these weren't available then.
makers
I don't know yet. I've got a set of them to try when I have some time.
scottmoon
makers wrote:
I don't know yet. I've got a set of them to try when I have some time.

Let us know. If so, I'll probably dump the nuts on my 3 rows and put these in. I'm sick of lining up nuts whenever I have to rearrange things. It's so much easier on my Doepfer case.
scottmoon
Does SCHROFF use a different measuring system than metric? VECTOR is showing a vertical opening in their rails as .210 while SCHROFF is showing 4.9 to 5.2 depending on the insert. Would help if I could read German in their PDF.
makers
I just installed the Schroff in a 90 hp Monorocket case. I assume that they are the usual Vector rails typical to Monorocket cases.

Works great. One limitation is that the threaded inserts only come in 84 HP lengths. With care, these could be cut and stacked together to make longer lengths.

These are the ones that I actually ordered:

http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=15003&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9879&storeId=1019 4
scottmoon
makers wrote:
I just installed the Schroff in a 90 hp Monorocket case. I assume that they are the usual Vector rails typical to Monorocket cases.

Works great. One limitation is that the threaded inserts only come in 84 HP lengths. With care, these could be cut and stacked together to make longer lengths.

These are the ones that I actually ordered:

Cool. I've been looking for the right Shroff inserts to fit my Vector Rails. What threw me for a loop was Shroff used cm in their drawings and Vector uses inches.
makers
Life's too short for sliding nuts!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1