MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
I need help with my MOTU 828 mkii
Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author I need help with my MOTU 828 mkii
oneano
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can get it to work stand alone, I just dont know how to get audio to pass through it.
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

by saying it works standalone, im assuming it fully works - meaning, you hear audio. have you setup you mixer settings? what outs the main/headphone outs are assigned to, etc...? you can do all that w/out a computer.
oneano
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, I hear audio passthrough it, I can connect the inputs and it passes to the headphone output.

I think that my confusion comes from all of the ins and outs and the 4 busses.

Its a mind boggling number of channels to deal with on such a small LCD

And with no online manual (that I can find) I have had a heck of a time with it.
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MOTU makes you purchase manuals I believe. Try registering and see if you can DL an mk3 manual. You could always ask Stretta on here for advice with MOTU gear — hopefully he won't mind I did that...

the device overall is not that complicated once you wrap your head around it. you realize the knobs also double as push buttons...? and help you navigate the menu(s)...

1nput0utput
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oneano wrote:
Also...When I try to use the Cuemix software and use any of the slides to adjust the channels, they sliders snap back to zero. Something that suggests that I have something set up wrong.

This can happen if the interface is not synchronized to the selected clock source. The front panel sample rate indicator will blink when this happens. What is the clock source set to in the MOTU Audio Console program? If there are no devices connected to the interface digital audio inputs or to the word clock input, then the clock source should be set to internal.

This would also happen if the interface is connected to a USB 1.1 bus rather than a USB 2.0 bus. It will also prevent audio from working well (if at all).
oneano
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not having USB 2.0 is what I thought, but I have looked at the system specs, and looked it up inside the unit and I have USB 2.0

Cuemix acts strange and sometimes it simply will not open, it will tell me that audio is in use or something like that.

Once I can finally get cuemix to open, I can adjust the sample rates without a problem.
1nput0utput
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oneano wrote:
Cuemix acts strange and sometimes it simply will not open, it will tell me that audio is in use or something like that.

CueMix FX will always open, even if another program is using the interface. MOTU Audio Console will not open if another program has control of the interface.

oneano wrote:
Once I can finally get cuemix to open, I can adjust the sample rates without a problem.

The sample rate can not be changed in CueMix FX. It can be changed in MOTU Audio Console.

Are you sure that the clock source is set appropriately?
1nput0utput wrote:
This can happen if the interface is not synchronized to the selected clock source. The front panel sample rate indicator will blink when this happens. What is the clock source set to in the MOTU Audio Console program? If there are no devices connected to the interface's digital audio inputs or to the word clock input, then the clock source should be set to internal.
oneano
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After working with the unit yesterday for about an hour, I did get it to work, but not without problems, it has some horrible digital distortion. I adjusted the latency and all parameters that I could come up with.

I just dont understand why I am having so many problems, this should be such a simple thing.
MicroFi
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oneano wrote:
After working with the unit yesterday for about an hour, I did get it to work, but not without problems, it has some horrible digital distortion. I adjusted the latency and all parameters that I could come up with.

I just dont understand why I am having so many problems, this should be such a simple thing.

I had exactly the same problem with mine.
After almost a month of frustration and going through all my settings, reinstalling drivers, resetting the Motu mkII etc etc, it turned out to be ... the USB cable!

Have you already tried with another USB cable?
oneano
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea, I have tried two cables so far. One came with the unit (I got it used) the other is brand new.

This is a silly question, but Im drawing straws at this point, is there a special USB2 cable? Or Something that Isnt backwards compatible that I am missing?
MicroFi
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's no such thing as a "USB2-cable".
Cables used on a USB/USB2-connection are exactly the same.

About this:

oneano wrote:

Does it say "Audio in use" or does it say "Core Audio in use"?
1nput0utput
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MicroFi wrote:
About this:

oneano wrote:

Does it say "Audio in use" or does it say "Core Audio in use"?

There is no Core Audio in Windows. That is a feature of Mac OS X. The message that oneano is referring to appears when a program is using the MOTU FireWire WDM or ASIO driver and the user tries to open the MOTU Audio Console program. This is not allowed because changing parameters in MOTU Audio Console (such as sample rate or buffer size) could cause client programs (such as Cubase or Sonar) to behave unexpectedly.

oneano wrote:

Which version of the driver is installed? The version number is displayed in the General tab in MOTU Audio Console. I recall there being a playback distortion problem with some older version of the driver, but MOTU must have fixed it because I don't have that problem with the current driver version.
MicroFi
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1nput0utput wrote:
There is no Core Audio in Windows. That is a feature of Mac OS X.

You're absolutely right.
I should learn to read more than just the first and the last post in threads d'oh!
oneano
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After a lot of trial and error, I was out of ideas. Being purchased used, I wasnt sure if MOTU would allow me to register the device, so finally I was able to send them the proof of purchase that they required for registration.

I submitted a service ticket and they asked me to install the latest version of the driver....

It worked!!!

I haven't updated the driver since I purchased the unit in January/2010 so I assumed that since the unit was several years old when I purchased it, that the drivers then were likely to be the most up to date.

So the lesson learned, always check with the manufacturer and triple check the drivers

hyper love nanners nanners
sandyb

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneano wrote:
After a lot of trial and error, I was out of ideas. Being purchased used, I wasnt sure if MOTU would allow me to register the device, so finally I was able to send them the proof of purchase that they required for registration.

I submitted a service ticket and they asked me to install the latest version of the driver....

It worked!!!

I haven't updated the driver since I purchased the unit in January/2010 so I assumed that since the unit was several years old when I purchased it, that the drivers then were likely to be the most up to date.

So the lesson learned, always check with the manufacturer and triple check the drivers

hyper love nanners nanners

ha!
nice to now i'm right now and then - it doesn't happen often hihi
glad you got it working Rockin' Banana!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: