MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
load & distance

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
The Roots of Trance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The Roots of Trance
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Criminally poor drum programming killed a lot of trance for me, even the Goa/Psy stuff (cough Pleiadians cough). and once it devolved into "progressive" style beats with crazy 3d noises and no melody/development whatsoever, I tuned out. But I've still got a metric assload of the mid-90's stuff from TIP, Dragonfly, Transient, Matsuri, Phantasm, and Phonokol, plus a couple different iPod playlists sorted out. I can still put on Cosmosis Synergy or Nervasystem's The Mama Matrix Most Mysterious and not feel motivated to take them out until they're over. Good shit, that.

Oh, also: The Green Nuns of the Revolution's Rock Bitch Mafia should have its own special 303 abuse trophy in the Roland Hall of Fame. Just sayin'. SlayerBadger!

I *adored* Banco de Gaia all the way through Big Men Cry, particularly the live band he toured with for that release, but after that his material has been really shark-jumpy. I bought the last few hoping for a resurgence (hey, the "final" Orbital album wasn't bad, and the Orb are riding a huge hot streak since _the Dream_), but in the end I sold them all. There's nothing compelling there. I still listen to Maya, Last Train and BMC quite often, though. Especially the "Duck! Asteroid!" remix of Kincajou.

Why yes, I am reading back through a month of posts, why do you ask? Y'all talk a lot, you know that? w00t
Babaluma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i really like the early dragonfly records sound, lots of analogue and interesting/fresh programming going on there, but the later TIP compilations, where it was all just weird beats and weird noises with no melodies really turned me off.

TIP Blue and Yellow are awesome.

Quote:
green nuns were great, caught them live once, not sure if they are still rocking?

Two albums and done as far as I know. Matthew Coldrick, 1/3rd of the Nuns, has gone on to have a BRILLIANT ambient career.

Quote:
i think the banco de gaia album "last train to lhasa" was the one with the monk story, no? i would really like to hear that again.

The story about moving the mountain one rock at a time? That's on Last Train, yes.
suitandtieguy
Hammond King

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

plord wrote:
I *adored* Banco de Gaia all the way through Big Men Cry, particularly the live band he toured with for that release, but after that his material has been really shark-jumpy. I bought the last few hoping for a resurgence (hey, the "final" Orbital album wasn't bad, and the Orb are riding a huge hot streak since _the Dream_), but in the end I sold them all. There's nothing compelling there. I still listen to Maya, Last Train and BMC quite often, though. Especially the "Duck! Asteroid!" remix of Kincajou.

do you have LIve at Glastonbury?

suboptimal wrote:
... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

suitandtieguy wrote:
plord wrote:
I *adored* Banco de Gaia etc. etc.

Do you have Live at Glastonbury?

Oh, yes. Both the Banco AND Orbital "Live at Glastonbury" releases smile
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GAH! Babaluma I totally hit edit instead of quote. I am a dork.
My utter apologies.

Me <- dork. Also, tired from boxes. Sleeping now.

Gah.
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AFAIC, Trance started with Age of Love. But i'll always like the Acid Trance of the early 90s.

Here's a mix i did a long time ago of a lot of the better Acid Trance of the time.

http://tweakcollective.com/mp3/new/computercontrolled/Music/Frantik%20 -%20My%20Definition%20Of%20Trance.mp3

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats . TR-505

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
Babaluma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey plord no worries, all the interesting content is still there wink

yeah tip blue and yellow were great, still love "angelic particles" by hallucinogen. i really loved the dragonfly "order odonata" series as well. the "project 2 trance" earliest release was still kinda proto goa.

thanks for the banco de gaia and green nuns info, i'll definitely check out matthew coldrick.

computer controlled, downloading now! thanks!

"the age of love" was a brilliant track, i have the oroginal 12", but that style seemed to evolve into the more cheesy handbag hands in the air alcohol trance a la platipus records. eye q were the same, some great tracks, but verging on the severe cheese in places!

p.s. i still don't know why more modern psy producers aren't on this forum/using modulars?
terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting thread + links!
thanks Babaluma

I'm well immersed in the psytrance scene, (although increasingly writing less and focusing on other stuff) and have been since the mid 90's

Personally for me it was the hypnotic sounds and beats that grabbed me, but when I heard Simon posford, Total Eclipse and Later Infected mushroom start to make electronic music that also grabbed me emotionally I was totally sold.

'Angelic particles' was probnably my favourtite track for a few years!

Nowaday's I'm almost ashamed more than proud to say I write psytrance, when someone asks, as yeah 99% of it today is complete bollocks but I still think the music I write and call psytrance is interesting to listen to, conjures emotions and can have a pretty decent effect on a dance floor, so i'ma going to stick at it.
actually the lack of decent psy trance is one of the only things that keeps me writing it... Theres still just somthing about it i love.

I had a feeling that no-one on this forum would be into it at all but its nice to see it still has a place in the hearts of many It's peanut butter jelly time!

Babaluma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's great to hear! can we listen to some of your music?

i think i mentioned it before, but i was really impressed with a son kite live set i heard a few months ago (the set was from 2001 i think). however, even when i listen to a lot of the old stuff, it doesn't grab me like it used to, i just think my tastes have changed.

but your stick to your guns dude, it's the only way you'll ever grow and improve as an artist. i'm kinda trying to do the same thing, but in more of an ambient/drone style.

i think it's sad that you feel ashamed to say you write psy trance, but i can also understand it. there seems to be a lot of unjustified hate for it out there.

i've always imagined modulars to be the ultimate tools for writing trance music. wink

any tips for insane lead/acid lines?

i'd be happy to have a go at mastering one of your tracks too, if you are up for it?
suitandtieguy
Hammond King

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

terrafractyl wrote:
I'm well immersed in the psytrance scene

cool. i feel the rest of what you were saying too, especially in light of this thread. it was nice to learn something about where it came from, and also obviously how it has completely changed into something it wasn't.

i played a psy party this weekend in a windfarm in Illinois USA this weekend, the thread about it is here:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18824

i don't play psytrance (for some reason i have this connection to the midwestern psytrance scene, and they are very nice to me even though obviously there's no money in it), but interestingly enough that Goa mix which was posted felt very close to me.

i've pulled up your myspace page and am listening now. thanks.

suboptimal wrote:
... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: