MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
The new 2164 Korgasmatron Dual VCF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The new 2164 Korgasmatron Dual VCF
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

transfixer wrote:
great sound, nice name!

Thanks, and thanks!

transfixer wrote:
could it be shrinked into euro format?

I think so. I'm still waiting to hear what the maximum allowable PCB dimensions are for Euro format. My current board is 2.1" x 6.6" which is a little bit long for Euro, I think. I can probably make it about 4" x 4" with some changes to the layout. If it comes to that, I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally. I'm hesitant to do board-mounted pots, because that really locks you into a certain format, and also because only a small fraction of the total pots could be accomodated on the board, so really what's the point?

If you would like to volunteer to tell me what the board size limits are for Euro, I'll think about shrinking my board to fit.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is the board, by the way. As you can see, things are pretty tight. The two filter circuits are essentially mirror images of each other on opposite sides of the "chip axis". However, I think I could break the circuit at a couple of spots and make the board wider and shorter.

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I think so. I'm still waiting to hear what the maximum allowable PCB dimensions are for Euro format. My current board is 2.1" x 6.6" which is a little bit long for Euro, I think. I can probably make it about 4" x 4" with some changes to the layout. If it comes to that, I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally. I'm hesitant to do board-mounted pots, because that really locks you into a certain format, and also because only a small fraction of the total pots could be accomodated on the board, so really what's the point?

If you would like to volunteer to tell me what the board size limits are for Euro, I'll think about shrinking my board to fit.

On my cases (Elby Subracks) the space between mounting rails is 112.5mm. I would shave off 4mm to allow for a little extra space bringing us to 108.5mm. This would provide a bit more ease in moving modules in and out of the system.

Doepfer's A100P6 cases have a useable depth of 80mm from the front panel to the PSU in the rear of the case. In the sections that do not contain the PSU, the depth is 100mm from the front panel to the rear of the case.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Junk Rhythm wrote:
On my cases (Elby Subracks) the space between mounting rails is 112.5mm. I would shave off 4mm to allow for a little extra space bringing us to 108.5mm. This would provide a bit more ease in moving modules in and out of the system.

Doepfer's A100P6 cases have a useable depth of 80mm from the front panel to the PSU in the rear of the case. In the sections that do not contain the PSU, the depth is 100mm from the front panel to the rear of the case.

Who came up with this midget format, anyway? angry
It looks like I'll have to get this board down to about 4" x 5". That's doable, but not for a couple of weeks, when things at work settle down a little bit.
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

hihi Europeans apparently.

Awesome module, BTW!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

emdot_ambient wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

hihi Europeans apparently.

Awesome module, BTW!

Touche! (and thanks!)
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
...I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally...

As in, available for others to purchase? 'Cause I'd definitely go for one.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

emdot_ambient wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
...I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally...

As in, available for others to purchase? 'Cause I'd definitely go for one.

Actually, you can buy one now, but it'll be one of my handmade ones. In fact, I sold two just lastnight. I'm (stupidly) charging only $20 (US) + $5 (US) shipping. It'll be one-sided, 2" x 6.6", with tinned traces, but NO silkscreening or through-hole plating -- exactly the same as the board in the pictures below. I'll also send the jumper kit so you don't have to mess with cutting the jumpers to size, and enough documentation to get you through it (it's actually a fairly straightforward build).
Send me a private message if you want to buy a board, cause I'm takin' orders now!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In addition to handmade boards, I thought it would also be nice to offer handmade panels like the one in the picture. This would be in MOTM format, 4U wide, with black graphics baked on bare aluminum with Lazertran. They're very nice looking, and extremely durable.

If you're interested, send me a p.m.
fiveman
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: korgasmotron Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For those of us who make boards, are you going to put up a clean template for us to copy and iron on. The photos you posted give a useable image but less experienced etchers may have trouble making up good boards.

Nice layout. A pro version would be a great value and an easy build
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: korgasmotron Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fiveman wrote:
For those of us who make boards, are you going to put up a clean template for us to copy and iron on. The photos you posted give a useable image but less experienced etchers may have trouble making up good boards.

Nice layout. A pro version would be a great value and an easy build

Sorry I didn't do it before. Here's the transfer image. Just right-click and save as a picture. However, please confirm that it is exactly 2.1" x 6.6" before printing.
I notice that this picture does not have the clarity of the original. If you would like to use the original instead (and you have access to MS Powerpoint), send me a private message and I'll email you the real file.
Also, if you want to make this board, please send me a private message and I'll forward the build documentation.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Woah!!

nice of you Doc.!! thumbs up

very generous..... nice shot in the arm for the MOTM/diy scene.

it's definitely my turn to buy you a beer or 2. Guinness ftw!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doc, did you seriously lay out that board in... PowerPoint?

eek!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

idiotboy wrote:
Doc, did you seriously lay out that board in... PowerPoint?

eek!

Of course not, silly! lol

(I used Excel. I only used Powerpoint to scale the image for printing.)
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...and the boards are flyin' out the door! Here's today's haul. Every one of 'em's goin' to a good home:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: