MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
RackPlanner 1.3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author RackPlanner 1.3
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forget that HP means something (a set number of inches or mm) in euro.

Think of it this way:

Let's say there are 20 possible positions in a row of a Frac rack and the smallest Frac module consumes 2 positions. Then HP for the rack = 20, and the smallest Frac module has an HP of 2.

Let's say one Serge panel consumes an entire row of a Serge rack. Then the HP for the rack = 1, and every module has an HP of 1.

Let's say Modcan has ten possible positions and the smallest module consumes a full position. Then the rack HP is 10 and the smallest module HP is 1. Double modules would have an HP of 2.

In the case of Euro, there are 84 possible module positions and the smallest module consumes 4 positions. The HP for the rack = 84 and the smallest module has an HP = 4.

Let's say you figure your rack has 10 possible positions and some of your modules consume 1/2 a position. Your rack HP needs to be increased to 20 so your smallest module HP becomes 1.

Last edited by dougcl on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
3) Set the number of rack rows and cols (in HP) that you want in rack.xml. The HP should make sense given the width of your rack jpg.

I've built a background and a rack.xml file. It looks about right in the planner except that the rack image repeats horizontally. I've tried setting cols to the number of HP one rack should be and I've tried setting it to 1 but I still get a seemingly endless rack. The rows setting works though.

EDIT:
Quote:
Forget that HP means something (a set number of inches or mm) in euro. Think of it this way...

A fine system and it explains my problem but why call that HP when HP already has a widely accepted meaning? You're going to get real tired of explaining this.

Quote:
Their width is measured in HP (HP = horizontal pitch, 1 HP = 5.08 mm or 1/5 inch or 1/5").
--Doepfer

Last edited by BananaPlug on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha ha, that is so COOOL. Good job.

The window itself always opens to 1024x768 and you'll get scrollbars, or not depending on your rows and cols settings. If the window size is larger, then you'll always see more rows and columns (the rack is always infinite). The rows and cols settings just affect how the scroll scroll bars appear, which is essential for large racks that span several screens or for scale settings around 2.0 and higher.

Last edited by dougcl on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
I've built a background and a rack.xml file. It looks about right in the planner except that the rack image repeats horizontally. I've tried setting cols to the number of HP one rack should be and I've tried setting it to 1 but I still get a seemingly endless rack. The rows setting works though.

Modcan A, sweet! w00t Please share if/when you can!

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
A fine system and it explains my problem but why call that HP when HP already has a widely accepted meaning? You're going to get real tired of explaining this.

Quote:
Their width is measured in HP (HP = horizontal pitch, 1 HP = 5.08 mm or 1/5 inch or 1/5").
--Doepfer

I know. I'm sorry, but it has such intuitive appeal in the euro format, and when I generalized the concept, I couldn't think of a name. I figured I would be explaining it no matter what, and I envisioned explaining it in the way I just did to you, and that seemed like the best option. At least I don't have to explain it to the euro people as well wink
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Try setting cols to 1. My quote above is wrong! It was late! Fixing the original post now.

Okay, did that but it still seems screwy. Try these files out and see if you have any luck. Hmm, there should be three files but I'm not sure they all attached.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One more file. I can't seem to send this as an attachment.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<rack>
   <properties>
      <scale>1.0</scale>
      <rows>3</rows>
      <cols>1</cols>
      <imagesPath>./images</imagesPath>
      <modulesPath>./modules</modulesPath>
      <rackImageFilename>ModcanA_rack.jpg</rackImageFilename>
      <rackHP>7</rackHP>
   </properties>
   <modules>
      <module>
         <zipFilename>32A.zip</zipFilename>
         <row>1</row>
         <col>1</col>
      </module>
   </modules>
</rack>

Last edited by BananaPlug on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I'll get it sorted out this evening. Thanks for getting this started. I'm also going to add the rack xml as a command line parameter to the program. Then we can build shortcuts for different rack formats, etc.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
One more file. I can't seem to send this as an attachment.

You can't attach xml to this forum. Posting as code is best.

Looks like something is assuming 84 HP in the rack no matter what. So I'll look at it this evening. Now I have a non-euro test case. Looks like the rack HP should be 10 and the module HP should be 1. I'll get it working. Thanks for your help. In the meantime you can use module HP of 12!

Last edited by dougcl on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Now I have a non-euro test case. Looks like the rack HP should be 10 and the module HP should be 1. I'll get it working. Thanks for your help. In the meantime you can use module HP of 12!

Just for clarity, the standard Modcan A rack I'm trying to model has positions for 7 single width modules, each 2.25 inches wide.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay rack HP = 7 (seven possible positions) and the smallest module is 1 HP. Should be an easy fix.

I added a vertical line to the right hand side of your background image:
parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we move this thread out of the Euro section now that the Rack Planner is useful for any format? w00t

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Done.
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey,

I'm just starting to look at your Rack Planner - great work!

I'll continue to try out making rack / modules -> did a quick try out frac-rack and found it pretty straight forward, so good stuff there. Will try out modules shortly too..

Two quick questions:
- zoom - is that only preset in the rack.xml definition? or is there a keyboard shortcut
- export - are you just using a screengrab to export images at the moment?

Would be great to get my new Bug-modules up and in action so.. more soon!

Thanks for doing this.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Bugbrand, yep, just make screen shots, and yes, the only way to scale is in the rack.xml file.

I'm working on an applet version that can be imbedded in a web page. This would probably be really useful for manufacturers like yourself. You could host a little planner just for bugbrand on your site or blog. I'm running into trouble though with the file I/O since applets have to do everything via URLs. I should be able to get it working though. All the modules you are building for Rack Planner will of course be fully compatible with the applet version.

Not sure if I can improve the image quality on scaling, but that is also something that I'm looking at. Build your rack and module images at the scale they are most likely to be used so the effect of scaling is minimized.

Thanks for trying it out!

Last edited by dougcl on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> RackPlanner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: