MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
RackPlanner 1.3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author RackPlanner 1.3
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hiya

First off - thanks to Bananaplug for making up a set of BugModules!

I've continued using the app and would like to give some feedback if that's ok - friendly, of course! I don't at all know the ins and outs of how you've made this, so there may well be things I say that simply aren't possible or realistic.

Scaling - if you could do that within the Planner that'd be really great! A menu setting would be good, a right-click and/or keyboard shortcut would be *fantastic*!

I know you've mentioned the image quality of scaling - things seem alright scaling up, but going down at all quickly renders the images pretty messy. I went for reasonably large images (sent to Bananaplug) so you don't normally see the full rack width on the screen, so you have to scale and, therefore, the end result at screen-grab is less good.

Export - if a jpeg of filled racks could be exported, that'd be really good too.

Save -- is it possible to have a save as function? I guess otherwise you can just copy the rack.xml and rename.

Maybe things could be written so you'd load up a rack - either at startup or with an open function - this'd then load a particular rack_xxx.xml file which would allow quick changing between, say, Euro / Frac / etc ... or Frac_user1 / Frac_user2 / etc.

Adding modules -- a right button click menu could be good here perhaps?
Also, I wondered whether things could be written so any added module automatically got put into the next free space?

Oh, a strange thing -> the horizontal scroll-bar seems to like disappearing off the bottom of my screen (or under the taskbar)

An online version would be really fantastic too!
I hope those comments don't come across as negative at all - I'm really impressed by the great little app you've come up with.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi BugBrand, first of all no problem. My aim was to be able to use this at least for myself, and I've accomplished that. Anything beyond that is really icing on the cake, so all suggestions are welcome.

There is a design philosophy here that kept things extremely simple so that it had a high chance of getting done smile

Regarding image quality, I spent an evening this week trying a bunch of different approaches (although I'm not an expert), and after all of that it turned out that the current approach offered much higher quality but over a smaller range than others. So contrary to my earlier advice, it is perhaps best to build your rack image and modules at the scale most likely to be used. I think from there doubling and halving via scaling offers acceptable results (try it I could be wrong). Note that if your rack image is at a small scale, all modules will be scaled into it, so make your rack image the same vertical size in pixels as your modules for best results.

Live scaling is possible, but it conflicts with another feature. The program loads a module once, scales it, and caches it. All instances of that module on the screen derive from the same scaled image stored in memory. In order to scale, all the modules would have to be re-retrieved from disk and scaled. This might be acceptable, but it will lead to a delay. Either that or I could scrap the caching setup, but I kind of like it.

JPEG export is done as of version 1.0.5.

Loading up various racks: My recommendation is to use shortcuts to run the program with different rack.xml files on the command line. I think this can be improved, and at least a Save As option should be possible.

I could probably add a right click to add modules without much difficulty. Make sure you get the latest version of the code because I added hotkeys to the menu, and the Add Dialog now retains its last size (BananaPlug's feedback).

New modules are always placed in the upper left corner of the visible portion of the rack. You should always see them when added (you don't have to scroll back to the origin).

The scroll bars disappear when your window size exceeds the size of the rack as specified in the rack.xml rows and cols.

Still looking at an online implementation. I've actually got it converted already, but file I/O is an issue. Still thinking about that.

Thanks!
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great developments - I just tried the export function and that works really well (oh, on windows I have to write 'export.jpg' otherwise the file made has no extension).

Good addition of the Alt-A for adding modules quickly!
- would Copy/Paste be possible?

Quote:
There is a design philosophy here that kept things extremely simple so that it had a high chance of getting done smile

I hear you!
Great stuff you're doing here - this will be really useful for people planning their BugSystems, so I'll point them all towards the thread & files.

Big thanks!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

w00t My online Module Library now has a Module Maker tool which will build a module zip file from your uploaded image.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
w00t My online Module Library now has a Module Maker tool which will build a module zip file from your uploaded image.

Hey I just tried this out with a random jpg, and it works great. I turned a picture of my birdbath into a euro module and had it loaded into my rack in a couple of minutes. I love the option to save to your library. Good job. we're not worthy
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BugBrand wrote:

Good addition of the Alt-A for adding modules quickly!
- would Copy/Paste be possible?

Module copy and paste now available.

Please note Alt+A for add module has been changed to Alt+M in anticipation of a Save As feature (which will use Alt+A instead).

Anyone who knows of a way to create large images in Java without consuming memory (using disk caching), please pm me. In the meantime, if you want to save large rack images, you'll need to start RackPlanner with
-Xmx256m on the command line to double the memory available to the JVM (to 256MB). Full command line example:
Code:
C:\WINNT\system32\java.exe -Xmx256m -jar RackPlanner.jar euro_rack.xml
sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do I zoom?
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Use "Save" to save your configuration. Close the program. Use notepad (or another editor) to edit rack.xml. Increase the scale (try 2.0 instead of 1.0). Run the program again.
sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unbelievable. Now I finally have a way to save my patches. Gracious.

btw, I uploaded all the Harvestman modules, the AFG and Vulcan, a couple more Plan B and a couple more Doepfer with BananaPlugs module maker.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: RackPlanner Module Library Updated Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Latest update to my RackPlanner library. Save yourselves some work.

UPDATE Feb 24 2009:

Added several euro modules donated by users of the Module Maker. Thanks!
Added a full set of Modcan B modules. The images all needed to have background cropped away.
Removed a small number of modules which had crooked images. Sorry, just trying to keep the quality up.
Fixed Internet Explorer bug (IE6, Argggh).

Edit: fixed a link

Last edited by BananaPlug on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome. Thanks for doing this.

Looks like your Rack Planner Library link is broken though. Should be:

http://www.squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/index.php

Is the rack image for modcan B the same as for modcan A?
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Is the rack image for modcan B the same as for modcan A?
No, thanks for reminding me. I've uploaded the XML and image for the B series.

Wait a minute. Ooops! The Modcan B files I put up last night had the uncropped images in them. I've uploaded the correct ones.
rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this rack planner app rawks SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
thanks guys!
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very nice work! Oh man, this would be a GREAT iphone app!
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm trying to change the HP in a module made with modulemaker, but having changed from 16 hp to 18 hp the module shows up as blank... is it because the aspect ratio is off?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> RackPlanner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: