MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
The things people say
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The things people say
oozitron
solder fume huffer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played with three friends for several years, including a rack of frac gear that was mainly used for "On the Run" in our set-long Pink Floyd medley.

One night after three sets of 100% covers, (Floyd, Allman Bros, Zappa, Cars, REM, Residents, Springsteen, ZZ Top, Hendrix, Neil Young, Rush, etc etc etc), a nice lady came up and asked, "So did you guys write *all* those songs?"

Yes. Yes we did. meh

Drew

kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people say Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

electronicpresskit wrote:
Nothing against the kaoss pad, but running $25,000 of analogs through a $400 processor doesn't make much sense.

Shit.

There goes my plan. sad banana

videos
ModularGrid
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you don't have $25,000 invested in your modular, you don't need to worry. The Kaoss Pad is great fun.
Lem
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fnord wrote:
I've only played out like 2-3 times, years ago. Ran into a guy I had a class with once, drunk out of his skull and got "what the fuck kinda gear you got man, it's like you got a fucking modem with you".

Once had a bandmate who'd attach himself to one technical term and use it over and over again completely out of context. His favorite term: LFO.
As in, "that sound needs more LFO's man" and "what sort of LFO do we need to get a bass sound like that". I tried to explain the whole modulation thing, but the dude just wanted more lfo's.

lol lol lol
richard
bananaphile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have had every version of the Kaoss Pad. If you get the gain right the KP3 can work well with modulars, especially live. the earlier ones less so.

However it is a damn shame they never made one with with really great converters, or at least SPDIF. I don't like to use them in the studio very much
cv slime 800
Low Frequency Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"It's amazing that you understand what you are doing"

My reply: "Sometimes I do. Sometimes it's just about turning knobs."
mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best comment was after a warm-up show for some friends. Me on guitar, me mate on bass and some backing loops. Twin Peaks type stuff.

Barman puts on CD, looks at us packing up our gear and comes over - Says, 'Is that you guys on CD?'

I was so happy - it was Svefn-g-englar by Sigur Ros!

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Somewhere around 1985 a friend and I were gigging at the all night party celebrating another friend's (very short lived) first marriage. I was just using a JX-3P and TR-606 but my band mate was using an Alpha Syntauri running on an Apple IIe computer with a green screen monitor...probably the first computer music system anyone there had ever seen.

While on a break this dude comes up to my buddy and says "How do you make that DO that?"

My buddy opened his mouth to answer, realized how impossibly broad the question was, shut his mouth and just walked away. hihi

Bob Borries
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Touring in Pico Rivera, Montebello and Downey Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't from an audience member, but a from a former band member, you see we practiced the live set for weeks, but he never mentioned the titles of the songs. We did a one time gig in Whittier, where there was a microphone and I couldn't shut the guy up.

The first song was called "Bucky Balls" I presume it was a song about Buckminster Fuller's testicles. Then we went on to "Home Toy" which made the overly buzzy solo sound make sense. Then there was "Dolly Pop", I said, "You know there's children in the audience don't you!" He went on to say we were on tour in Pico Rivera, Montebello and Downey. (musically insignificant local cities)

I never wanted to crawl up and hide in my modular any more than that.
ripit
Pasta-far-I

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i had so manies... but i guess this enthousiastic guy in Rotterdam told me after my set "woa it's so great, but how do you dance on that shit ?"...
(i was playing that pre-breakcore mahyemic beats with a grindcore friend screaming on it... far to be gabber)

Before that, playing some sizzling frequencies and speed beats in a warehouse near Nantes (fr). Some dude came to us and yeel "you don't know how to play good hard-techno, i'll bring my records and show you how to"... yes but it was an live-set only party, so no turntables...
Same night at a certain moment, 5 cops came in to try to stop this 3000 hungry ravers illegal free party and came to my friend who was playing his set askin him his ID card (i guess they thought he was the guy in charge)... Someone came to the cops and explain that for the security of both them and the crowd the way to the exit.

www.soundcloud.com/ripit <<<noodles
www.soundcloud.com/fujako <<< concrete sound for abstract hiphop
www.solarskeletons.com <<<industrial world music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: