MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
And yet another euro player.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author And yet another euro player.
JJ
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is an very informative discussion about CopperLan on KVR:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296783&start=0&postdays= 0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Ankh
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The product descriptions are bordering on too technical. So can this be used with say Silent Way, or is all it does convert MIDI to CV through some virtual MIDI port? Or is it something else entirely? seriously, i just don't get it
poladark
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love the idea...

But... from a purely technical standpoint.... There doesn't seem to be a public document specifying the protocol - yet they claim that the CopperLAN protocol is "open". Not using IP seems like a serious disadvantage. How are you supposed to use this with existing network infrastructure? Can i use my enterprise class Cisco switches and routers with CopperLAN? What if i want to collaborate with a person downstairs or in a different office? The advantage of using Ethernet with CopperLAN is not so obvious if I'd have to design a physically separate network to use it.

If i wanted to invest in CopperLAN audio infrastructure it would need to be a technically sound solution.
JJ
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Download the copperlan software and try, it's free.
jln
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must say I am really excited by this product. I saw a demo (including a midi->CV prototype) quite some time ago during a conference at Ircam in Paris and it was veeeery impressive.

asterisk wrote:

also, would be interested to see if this module would work with max/msp.

This will work with Max using Midi ports.

Actually, a CopperLan external was even developed within the Plateforme Virage. THIS is the real deal as it not only allows send/receiving values but also building and querying the network of CopperLan devices, etc. The bad news is although the external is still available from here, it is currently broken since some changes in the CopperLan SDK.

I think it is also worth mentioning that there has been some discussion/desire to develop or port such an external as a plugin for the upcoming 0.6 implementation of Jamoma Modular in Max. Just hope some dev will jump in to make it happen soon.
jupiter8
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been reading a lot about this the last few days and it is really interesting.
I'm a bit miffed by yet another standard but this one seem to be gaining ground really quick. There's already 2 standards for midi over ethernet but i guess you need something new to finally break away from midi. But then there's OSC but that doesn't seem to gain any momentum for the moment.

I haven't really tried it but i believe you can bridge from say rtpmidi to CopperLan quite easily if you want to. To the computer they're just midi ports like any other.

And now answer time:
poladark wrote:
I love the idea...

But... from a purely technical standpoint.... There doesn't seem to be a public document specifying the protocol - yet they claim that the CopperLAN protocol is "open".

You can apply for a freeware yada yada yada and you get access to the format. I did yesterday but haven't really looked into it yet.
poladark wrote:
Not using IP seems like a serious disadvantage. How are you supposed to use this with existing network infrastructure? Can i use my enterprise class Cisco switches and routers with CopperLAN? What if i want to collaborate with a person downstairs or in a different office? The advantage of using Ethernet with CopperLAN is not so obvious if I'd have to design a physically separate network to use it.

If i wanted to invest in CopperLAN audio infrastructure it would need to be a technically sound solution.

You need not worry. It can coexist on an existing network so no problems there.
asterisk wrote:
i wonder if this thing can do more discrete CV steps in copperlan mode than in midi mode?

That is kinda the point behind CopperLan so i'd be really surprised if that is not the case.
poladark
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jupiter8 wrote:
You can apply for a freeware yada yada yada and you get access to the format. I did yesterday but haven't really looked into it yet.

Registered for that now as well. Doesn't appear to be any "Non-Disclosure Agreement" to sign, thankfully. If the network protocol is sound, I'd love to give programming this a go. MIDI never was very flexible :(

jupiter8 wrote:
It can coexist on an existing network so no problems there.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Coexisting on an existing network is great - but routing is done on the IP level. If there is no IP protocol, then the protocol will get as far as a switch, but it won't get past a router. If that is the case however, something like VLAN tagging might work for bigger networks... possibly.
Endosine
Tamahagane Modular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

poladark wrote:

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Coexisting on an existing network is great - but routing is done on the IP level. If there is no IP protocol, then the protocol will get as far as a switch, but it won't get past a router. If that is the case however, something like VLAN tagging might work for bigger networks... possibly.

Much like TCP or UDP can both run at the same time on a network, so can CopperLAN. They wrote their own protocol to get the great user experience of ZeroConf (automatic device discovery) and extremely low latentcy. If they had built it using TCP/IP the latency would be too high/irregular for realtime data. You probably wouldn't see CopperLAN beyond a router unless the router was aware of the protocol and passed it on. There is a large broadcast aspect to the protocol so I don't think having the router pass it would generally be a good thing. It's not intended to be a "over the internet" thing, just a local area tool. The Jazzmutant Lemur and some other OSC devices often routed over UDP to get away from the overhead of TCP and help things be closer to realtime. The tradeoff there was UDP has no handling of "lost packets" or handshaking, so if you are on a busy network UDP can have troubles.

/past life as an IT guy

As a synth nerd the new module looks really interesting...

no-fi

Location: Australia - land of the greedy bogan peasant idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like this - I have a spare ethernet port on my PC, but no spare adat lightpipe... keen to hear about how well it works and see the results of timing tests
mateo
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's worth looking at the manual for more info:

http://www.alyseum.com/downloads/ALYSEUM_MS-812%20_Eurorack__User's%20 Manual%20no%20SW_V1.3_EN.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Alyseum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: