MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Good Solid-State Amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Good Solid-State Amps
estragon
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Good Solid-State Amps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cause fuck tubes, man. Mainly looking to play freeform guitar wreckage in the vein of Keiji Haino and the Dead C, will probably also be used for some more chromatic projects I have in the works. I already have a good little tube amp (Diason Tallboy) and an 80 watt Roland something (not a Cube or Jazz Chorus) which is just okay.

What I like:
Feedback
Early Breakup (depends on the amp)
Sufficient volume
Spring Reverb
Reliability
Portability (I don't really have the means to lug around a quaddie w/ 200w head)

What I dislike:
Lots of knobs
Built in FX/models/blergh
Creamy Clapton tones
Approval from Johnny DeMarco

Some good preamp/pedal recommendations for added dirt would also be greatly appreciated.
Just me
Has enough VCA's

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll get killed for this, but I like Peavey for transistor amps. (Older ones without all the digital crap.) A Deuce or Artist come to mind first.
An old MXR Distortion makes things very dirty. Taping a couple strips of parchment paper to the speaker cone will really get 'em buzzing.

dualmono
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Check out the Lunchbox.
http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/

Lord of Tweed Manor

Location: Tweed Manor, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to love the '80s Roland Cube series amps back when I actually tried to play guitar.

I have no idea if it's rose-tinted nostalgia glasses or actual affinity for the sound, but I rather liked mine . The chorus circuits on them were fantastic and the overdrive wasn't bad either.
stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How 'bout a Roland JC-120 (I have an old one, dunno about the reissues)?
Bulletproof reliable, great spring 'verb, enough volume to compete with almost anything and still take your fucking head off.

a sun spinning backwards lp/cd/digital | soundcloud | antisound.net
sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are something like 9,583,583 kinds of solid state guitar amps. And some of them are even pretty good. You should be able to find one that you like fairly easily - just go to any guitar store and try a bunch of them. I had one of those auld peavey things justme mentioned, played it in bands and it sounded ok. The second guitarist in one of my bands had a music man amp that kicked ass. Yamaha had a line of solid state amps back in the late 70's that absolutely ruled. And never forget Sunn amps. The Crate powerblock is awesome.
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
flickr cloud of sound touyube
estragon
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

stk wrote:
Bulletproof reliable, great spring 'verb, enough volume to compete with almost anything and still take your fucking head off.

Nice amps, but the problem is that the prices they go for here (Australia) are fucking ridiculous - I may as well save up an extra hundo or two and get one of those newer tube Fenders, or even an old Twin. It's the same with old Sunns, especially in a post-Sunn 0))) world.

Quote:
Yamaha had a line of solid state amps back in the late 70's that absolutely ruled.

Oh fuck, I forgot about these. I've seen a bunch of people play them and sound real good. There's a second hand music store near my uni that carries a bunch of shit like this, I should check in soon.

Could anyone recommend this? Fulfils most of my critera and is literally around the corner from my house.
sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ya, that peavey is of the vintage that justme and I were talking about. That may even be the model I had - can't remember, it was 1976 that I had it - that was a few years ago.

And since you uttered his name you must submit to your punishment.

And just when you thought you were safe - there's 2 of them!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Last edited by sduck on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Just me
Has enough VCA's

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could make a simple demo of the sound of one those old Peavey's, but I'm not sure I could suffer the barbs that would ensue about my 'playing'. (or complete lack of abilty to do so.)
Pawn shops (Or whatever they are called down under) are a gold mine for amps. Around here, you can expect to pay abot 20-40cents on the dollar for a 'name' amp and 20 to 50 dollars for any no-name amp.
Fender Princeton Chorus 212's are around $100 at any given time and sound pretty good. Roland JC-120's are always around $400. Kustom Amps are always inexpensive compared to Sunn or Vox.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fender Squire Frontman 15R. Spring reverb, dual gains plus master, 3 band eq. Surprisingly loud. I used to piss off a bandmate who had a Marshall half-stack because this little thing was louder. Very light.

My fav cheap solid state available new is the Line 6 Spider IV. Pretty good little amp.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Session Sessionette is cool.
I love my old HH VS Musician. Massively loud. Early breakup? No but it has an overdrive option which is pretty cool..
These were used by tons of artists in their day..

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

an older peavey and if you're going for the sound of those guys (thumbs up) get your guitar tech to have a look at it and tell him to make it bullet proof. I had an old peavey (used a jpn jazzmaster) when I lived near Windsor, Canada and I continually destroyed the amp doing the type of sound I think you're aiming for and eventually I showed the guitar guy the type of thing I was doing to the amp and he set it right and it never blew again.

btw, take a listen to flying saucer attack

TSP Teaspoon CAS;
Oxford OSCar synth (UK).

http://sandfingers.bandcamp.com/
Tall Midget
Extra Value Super-Premium Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

+1 on the ZT Lunchbox, those amps are LOUD. Tech 21 amps are nice too.
stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

estragon wrote:
stk wrote:

Nice amps, but the problem is that the prices they go for here (Australia) are fucking ridiculous - I may as well save up an extra hundo or two and get one of those newer tube Fenders, or even an old Twin. It's the same with old Sunns, especially in a post-Sunn 0))) world.

Yeah, I bought a "vintage" one about a year ago, paid probably much more (1k) than I should have, but then I've always wanted one so :shrug: ..just should've given in and bought one back when they went for $400..

Quote:
There's a second hand music store near my uni that carries a bunch of shit like this, I should check in soon.

Are you in Melbourne, by any chance? And if so, you talking about the Swop Shop on Elgin, down from Melb Uni?

Edit: oh, and +1 on the older Peaveys.
Years back I had an Austin 400, 2x12" + horn, spring 'verb, originally designed for lap steel players, great amp.

estragon
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes and yes. Excellent establishment (Swop Shop, not Unimelb).
stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

estragon wrote:
Yes and yes. Excellent establishment (Swop Shop, not Unimelb).
hihi indeed, place has claimed much of my disposable income for the past 17 years or so!

denim dan
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

best solid state amps ever in my opinion, and i've played quite a few (in addition to the tubies of course!)

whether "bass" model or "guitar" model, they absolutely rule!

and stay away from the new production "acoustic" brand heads and amps. i'm not sure what they do well other than coffee shop struggling artist bass tone, but they are a far cry from their vintage counterparts.
JRock
InterGalactic Barbarian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My Fender Deluxe 1 x 12 is my workhorse. It's awesome for metal and hard rock. It has clean and distortion. No fancy shit. Distortion is 1 On/Off switch, Gain, Volume, Bass/Mid/High.

It has a spring-reverb that I never use as well.

It sounds so good I don't use a pedal.

It's so loud I've never actually turned it up all the way. oops

And it's portable enough that I used to carry it on my shoulder, as well as my guitar, to the bar about 8 blocks away for open-mic nights. (YMMV)

I get everything from nasally punk to Bottom-Heavy Chugga-Chugga.

Danotranto
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sunn beta lead

these are legendary for being awesome and crushingly loud, lightweight too, kinda rare though

http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/betalead/

denim dan
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the sunn beta lead, unless you're going to be CRUSHING it in larger venues, really needs an attenuator. that thing is so loud. it sounds like shit though (imho) when it's not dimed. and if you do use a sunn beta and crush it, please get one of these and take it next level.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have an old yamaha b212, cheap, loud ,kind like fendertwin, in controls etc
good solid state amp from the 70's
Danotranto
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought attenuators were only useful with tube amps?
denim dan
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"attenuator" might have been a little misleading there. that word is specifically used in the guitar marketing world to describe something that lets you pump the glow through the tubes while keeping a reasonable output level. i should have said attenuation, generally speaking.

while on most ss amps an attenuator or brake or power soak is useless because of ss output circuits, on a few they really help the cause. the sunn amps in particular. think of it as a secondary (or tertiary) master volume mixer control. the amp head sends to the speakers and the speakers distort, etc. to produce a sound that you either want, or don't want when it's really loud. using an attenuator in between with an ss amp, you can "trick" the system into producing something you want. obviously an attenuator on a built-in ss combo amp would be pretty useless.

case in point: i played and toured all over N.A. for several years in a few bands, "punk" genre i suppose you could say. we would rarely get our amps mic'd, much of it was diy showspace type stuff. before one of our last tours my sound city 120 head took a total shit, so i got a sunn concert lead instead to drive my ampeg v4 cab.

with the sunn cranked i could get this blistering tone that had a HUGE amount of attack in it, which i loved. but it would drown out everything but the cymbals. this attack didn't really exist at lower volumes, the tonal nature was kind of the same at low vol, but the sonic quality was greatly diminished. it sounded farty. few days later my pal gave me like some $10 volume box attenuator pedal, and that absolutely solved the problem.

i could get the same tone, with all the color and expression i wanted from my playing, at a reasonable enough volume.

a volume pedal would work, also. i didn't have luck with only the volume pots on the guitar though.
Tubeampguy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bump!

See my screen name eek!
sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's nothing in this thread for you then, move along

There are plenty of tube amp threads - feel free to sing along!

Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I use a Gallien Krueger Backline 600 into Ampeg cabinets for both my Bass and my modular. I have a friends who uses it or guitar. Great SS distortion.

https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"
Tubeampguy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sduck wrote:
There's nothing in this thread for you then, move along

There are plenty of tube amp threads - feel free to sing along!
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite in the "If I could only keep just one" vein is the Crate VTX200S. An outstanding amplifier in many, many ways.
sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good Solid-State Amps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a PCL Vintage Amp Stagemaster 75 which I'm using with a Tube Town 1x12" box with a Jensen NeoDym. It has been developed by Jürgen Rath who is quite well known for his amp designs in Germany.

Quote:

What I like:
Feedback dunno (never tried)
Early Breakup (depends on the amp) dunno
Sufficient volume check
Spring Reverb check
Reliability check
Portability (I don't really have the means to lug around a quaddie w/ check200w head)

What I dislike:
Lots of knobs check
Built in FX/models/blergh check
Creamy Clapton tones dunno
Approval from Johnny DeMarco check

Some good preamp/pedal recommendations for added dirt would also be greatly appreciated.

I like to use a Digitech BadMonkey before going into it.

The downsides are:
- This model is not produced anymore (the SM60 mini-top is somewhat similar)
- Rarely be found on the second hand market
- I guess they are not that easy to get outside Europe
- Distorts pretty fast in the lead channel when not modified

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: