MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Adding an additional PSU in M9

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Monorocket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Adding an additional PSU in M9
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Adding an additional PSU in M9 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey Guys (or Steve),

I have an M9 that seems to be intermittently losing power with a guesstimate draw of around 800ma lately and I was wondering about adding an additional doepfer PSU into the case for an additional power source. I am pretty sure i have Monorocket 1 PSU (logo on the main PSU).

Has anyone else done anything similar? Is it possible?

Thx
Stephen

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eyes...
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no one?

i havent had a chance to check inside my case yet - but i'm even wondering how i could chain the supplies together...

i am pretty sure i have this supply (image courtesy chinard):

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Totally possible. Got an M9 to do the same thing to myself..

I would toss a 2nd supply in there and just use the 2nd supply for 1 of the 3 rows.. by itself. just remove the 1 row from the other 2 rows.

Pretty straight forward.. I can try to explain in more details when i'm not hopped up on pain killers... just had surgery last wednesday so i'm a lil'f'd'up
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks Logan! And rest up.

A few questions when you're ready, but woulthreat method mean they would be powered separately? My intention was to double up the psu but still use only one 3 prong cable for power.

I need to email Steve I think before I do something stupid!

eef
Cardiganed Beardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Logan, by coincidence I also had surgery last Wednesday! Mine was no cut, so not too much pain killer needed. Hope you are feeling better.

Back OT, perhaps your remoted heat sink solution might work. My M9 with orig psu couldn't handle an R-53, but modded it does. Or do you no longer feel that's a good solution?

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hey stephen, i'm not familiar with the monorocket case and power, but i would second that you install your own psu and power one or two busboards from it only. have you considered installing a power-one psu instead of a doepfer psu?
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

power is shutting off more frequently now - replacing the power seems like it is a must.

weird thing is that it was not happening when it was connected directly to a wall outlet in my office and i left it on practically all day. as soon as i brought it out, plugged it in to a strip, it would power down in 5 minutes or less. i have to test this out at home, so it might be a simple fix until I can get a replacement power supply.

most annoying is that the potential draw of the case is less than 750ma.

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

3 linear regulators to drop down & filter an external 15V switching supply.

MAX current handing per row... 1.2-3A though i wouldn't run more than 800ma-1A...

This case is now in beast mode!! smile
<3 me some Monorocket cases!

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^^^^^
Sick!

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It took some module shuffling, but the case seems to be back working steady again. Figured to try that again before I took apart the power system. I had it on for over 3 hours with an issue.
evil wizards
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Low-Gain wrote:

3 linear regulators to drop down & filter an external 15V switching supply.

MAX current handing per row... 1.2-3A though i wouldn't run more than 800ma-1A...

This case is now in beast mode!! smile
<3 me some Monorocket cases!

So i'm curious where you got the parts to do this and how much you spent on it. I'm now on my third monorocket case and again having power problems. top 2 rows are fine, bottom rows in the gemini are semi working... modules turn on and work, but a few modules buzz only on those rows, don't work properly and have LED's that won't turn on. I sent a couple modules back to their manufactures before realizing the modules weren't the problem. I have no idea how to do any of this myself, but if its affordable I want to GUT THE FUCKER and take it to someone who can hook up a system like that. So yeah.. any advice where to pick those parts up? would be much appreciated. I would love to turn this thing on and have everything work as it should. Several thousand dollars worth of shit it in and all...
d'oh!
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i wound up just adding a ÁZeus to mine after having intermittent power issues again. i plug all digital modules into it.
monorocket
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

evil wizards wrote:
I want to GUT THE FUCKER and take it to someone who can hook up a system like that. So yeah.. any advice where to pick those parts up? would be much appreciated. I would love to turn this thing on and have everything work as it should. Several thousand dollars worth of shit it in and all...
d'oh!

Sam - I just offered to upgrade your case as a warranty repair via email.
Please reply to that message and let me know what you'd like to do.
ThinLazy
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great, thank you Steve! I'll reply to your email.
Awesome,
-Sam
monorocket
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ThinLazy wrote:
Great, thank you Steve! I'll reply to your email.
Awesome,
-Sam

Sam - that was a different Sam I replied to.

Now that everyone's been contacted via mail - I'm going to close this thread
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Monorocket All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: