MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Good Solid-State Amps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Good Solid-State Amps
de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have an old yamaha b212, cheap, loud ,kind like fendertwin, in controls etc
good solid state amp from the 70's
Danotranto
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought attenuators were only useful with tube amps?
denim dan
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"attenuator" might have been a little misleading there. that word is specifically used in the guitar marketing world to describe something that lets you pump the glow through the tubes while keeping a reasonable output level. i should have said attenuation, generally speaking.

while on most ss amps an attenuator or brake or power soak is useless because of ss output circuits, on a few they really help the cause. the sunn amps in particular. think of it as a secondary (or tertiary) master volume mixer control. the amp head sends to the speakers and the speakers distort, etc. to produce a sound that you either want, or don't want when it's really loud. using an attenuator in between with an ss amp, you can "trick" the system into producing something you want. obviously an attenuator on a built-in ss combo amp would be pretty useless.

case in point: i played and toured all over N.A. for several years in a few bands, "punk" genre i suppose you could say. we would rarely get our amps mic'd, much of it was diy showspace type stuff. before one of our last tours my sound city 120 head took a total shit, so i got a sunn concert lead instead to drive my ampeg v4 cab.

with the sunn cranked i could get this blistering tone that had a HUGE amount of attack in it, which i loved. but it would drown out everything but the cymbals. this attack didn't really exist at lower volumes, the tonal nature was kind of the same at low vol, but the sonic quality was greatly diminished. it sounded farty. few days later my pal gave me like some $10 volume box attenuator pedal, and that absolutely solved the problem.

i could get the same tone, with all the color and expression i wanted from my playing, at a reasonable enough volume.

a volume pedal would work, also. i didn't have luck with only the volume pots on the guitar though.
Tubeampguy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bump!

See my screen name eek!
sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's nothing in this thread for you then, move along

There are plenty of tube amp threads - feel free to sing along!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
flickr cloud of sound touyube
Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I use a Gallien Krueger Backline 600 into Ampeg cabinets for both my Bass and my modular. I have a friends who uses it or guitar. Great SS distortion.

https://rnuuja.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-koktoepuss-phd
https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"
Tubeampguy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sduck wrote:
There's nothing in this thread for you then, move along

There are plenty of tube amp threads - feel free to sing along!
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! Haha! you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette Russian Roulette
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite in the "If I could only keep just one" vein is the Crate VTX200S. An outstanding amplifier in many, many ways.
sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good Solid-State Amps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a PCL Vintage Amp Stagemaster 75 which I'm using with a Tube Town 1x12" box with a Jensen NeoDym. It has been developed by Jürgen Rath who is quite well known for his amp designs in Germany.

Quote:

What I like:
Feedback dunno (never tried)
Early Breakup (depends on the amp) dunno
Sufficient volume check
Spring Reverb check
Reliability check
Portability (I don't really have the means to lug around a quaddie w/ check200w head)

What I dislike:
Lots of knobs check
Built in FX/models/blergh check
Creamy Clapton tones dunno
Approval from Johnny DeMarco check

Some good preamp/pedal recommendations for added dirt would also be greatly appreciated.

I like to use a Digitech BadMonkey before going into it.

The downsides are:
- This model is not produced anymore (the SM60 mini-top is somewhat similar)
- Rarely be found on the second hand market
- I guess they are not that easy to get outside Europe
- Distorts pretty fast in the lead channel when not modified

MrBiggs
I see dead people

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Resurrecting a dead thread rather than starting a new one.

I was staying at pulse-divider's studio in Akron last month and played through this amazing crazy solid-state amp he has. I also recently built a Noisy Cricket 1w amp in a pedal enclosure and really really like it. My tube amps (a Rivera Venus 3 and a Vox Night Train) are both terrific, but break up quick and I often just want a nice glassy clean tone and low noise to run with pedals.

I have a 2x10 cabinet wherein I plug the Noisy Cricket and the Vox, and I'm thinking I'd like to find a solid state head with personality. I don't need or want DSP or effects or modeling. I might even end up finding a DIY project and building it, so recommendations to that end are nice as well.

Hit me!

For Sale: Monorocket case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: