MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listen to Wiggler Radio - Click Here

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
ambient guitar recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author ambient guitar recommendations
Gripp
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tall Midget wrote:
I played the Moog guitar at the NAMM show and I was very unimpressed, I thought the build quality wasn't that great for the price either. You can just save money by shoving a sustainer and a midi pickup in any other guitar.

After having lived with my black Moog E-1 without hex/midi out for about two months, I can only say that it was worth it for me. Got a good price on it. As someone above said, it pays to shop around. I think the major thing is that everybody wants the hex/midi option so the non ones have become less expensive.

Having experience with a sustainiac system, there simply is no contest, the moog system is way above. Keyword is hexaphonic sustain and it is controllable.

I'm not too crazy about the looks of the E-1 but it isn't too bad and kinda growing on me. The guitar needed a bit of tweaking to get it to feel more to my liking but the need for a tweak is rule with every guitar I bought and build, the climate here is murder.
The magnetic pickups are a bit strange when you compare to strat sc and LP humbuckers. But with an attitude tweak to my head, the possibility of blending in the piezo and the right amp, it isn't a problem at all to me. DIing works great too. Same thing with a lot of other guitars, they seem to shine through certain amps/pedals. I have also built a simple unbuffer circuit to make it interact better with certain pedals.

I'm just waiting to get my hands on a multiwave distortion pro (multiband dist) so I can give sustained chords more harmonically related overtones for later filtering/processing in the modular. Should be Rockin' Banana!
It already sounds great going into a diy foxx tone machine twisted

A simplish but hopefully very effective PLL driven guitar synth is on the breadboard to the left on this computer right now too.
wxyz
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

seancostello wrote:
stk wrote:

Another thing to consider in a guitar is how it feeds back. If (lke me) feedback is your thing, this is an important consideration. Many single coils will just give you a horrid piercing squeal rather than a nice, controllable wailing moan.

My guess is that this has more to do with the tolerances of the pickup, and whether or not it is potted, as opposed to single coil/humbucker. But I've found the same thing with single coils versus humbuckers. I wonder if humbuckers tend to be built with feedback in mind. I still want to try a P90.

For feedback of the fundamental frequencies, use volume as opposed to distortion. A good cleanish tube amp can get some beautiful feedback when turned up. Try looking into silverface Fenders if you can find some that are affordable enough. A 1970's Traynor is always good. Put the headstock of the guitar in contact with the speaker cabinet to get the feedback going strong.

Quote:

I like analogue delays for the way they meld with the original guitar tone.

I love analog delays for how they feed back. The feedback characteristics of ValhallaFreqEcho were based on my experience with BBDs, as opposed to tape.

Quote:

I've fallen in love with my Line 6 M16, both as a really nice multifx board (the delays in particular are really good) as well as a cool minimal looper. Half-speed and reverse modes are great for ambient guitar.

I have one of the older Line 6 looper/delay pedals, and I love it for the same reasons.

A Moogerfooger LPF is an awesome thing to use for shaping loops. I love how the Moog filters combine resonance and distortion, for focusing on certain harmonic ranges, or getting an overall distortion sound. Of course, people on this board probably have their own preferences for filtering.

This brings up one of my longtime dreams: a looper with multiple outputs, where each output can be a different loop, or a tap off the same loop reading at a different rate. Route each output to a different resonant filter. I guess I could program something like this, but I am a big fan of real analog filters for distortion, and haven't figured out a digital model that works well enough to my liking.

Sean Costello

Akai Headrush has 4 outs

ShoBud pedal steel
stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wxyz wrote:

Akai Headrush has 4 outs

But only one loop, unfortunately.
Most powerful / versatile looper for those prepared to use a computer is still Mobius.

dust songs 2xlp/cd/digital out 12/2014 on denovali | soundcloud | antisound.net
Delta T
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mobius is definately the one...if you have a computer to run it on. I run a computer based setup...Mobius on one and everything else on another.

I also us a RC50.
streetspirit
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
no, no, no, spalted maple tele with dual humbuckers!!!

lol

but in all seriousness, the seymour duncan "pearly gates" humbuckers in my bridge position sound INSANELY high harmonic/jangly, whatever you run them through, coil tap or no coil tap...

thats one gorgeous axe. SlayerBadger!
streetspirit
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

aumgn wrote:
thanks for all the advice guys , some really interesting thoughts there on trems and stuff , lap steel . . .yeah now i would love that.Its just nice to see what people like , prefer and use for ambient work.

the only suggestion i have for guitars is one that ive come across in my own ambient guitar playing. make sure you get pickups with low noise. when using a lot of FX, especially compressors, the noise from single coils tends to ring through your playing and drones. i was using a beautiful sounding Eastwood Tuxedo but it's P-90's were way too noisy for quiet sections of clean delayed ambiance. i was far happier with my Les Paul & when i wanted a more semi hollow body sound i used my ES-355. both with low noise humbuckers.
bsmith
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with what was said earlier:
ambient music with green strat, yes!
When I checked out the moog guitar my mind almost exploded. Not the sustainiacky part but the other direction, the clipped banjoey thing. Psychologically strange to feel the shift from one extreme to the other happening. I'll be picking one up right after I get my API console, but still...
I've been threatening myself to get one of those rogue sitar guitars that are a knockoff of the danelectro/coral sitars for a little while now - they go for peanuts on ebay and sound kind of excellent in the utube clips I've checked out. One of those with an ebow could be pretty nutty.

Babaluma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetspirit wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

lol

but in all seriousness, the seymour duncan "pearly gates" humbuckers in my bridge position sound INSANELY high harmonic/jangly, whatever you run them through, coil tap or no coil tap...

she's never leaving me - i'd sell off all the modular first!

my dad bought it for me as a birthday present a few years ago. nicest guitar i have ever played/owned. i set it up once every six months. i'm a poor guitarist, but have had guitarist friends come over and literally not be able to put it down, and keep telling me about how nice it feels to play, how easy it is to play etc.

has a coil tap so is very versatile (can do single coil and humbucker tones). i use d'addario chromes 12s, for a very 50's/vintage sound, even when played acoustically. having flat wounds means you get the sustain and tone of the fatter strings, without chewing up your fingers as badly.

she's a stunner all right! they are still available new as far as i know, they used to be around $800 new.

i changed the tuners to black sperzel locking tuners, and i still intend to have a black schaller hannes bridge fitted at some stage, and am also thinking about having a danelectro style lipstick single coil pup mounted in the middle, with it's own output jack, for stereo DI and a more "jangly" tone.

sorry to rant, but i am still in love with her!

twisted
streetspirit
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
streetspirit wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

lol

she's never leaving me - i'd sell off all the modular first!

my dad bought it for me as a birthday present a few years ago. nicest guitar i have ever played/owned. i set it up once every six months. i'm a poor guitarist, but have had guitarist friends come over and literally not be able to put it down, and keep telling me about how nice it feels to play, how easy it is to play etc.

has a coil tap so is very versatile (can do single coil and humbucker tones). i use d'addario chromes 12s, for a very 50's/vintage sound, even when played acoustically. having flat wounds means you get the sustain and tone of the fatter strings, without chewing up your fingers as badly.

she's a stunner all right! they are still available new as far as i know, they used to be around $800 new.

i changed the tuners to black sperzel locking tuners, and i still intend to have a black schaller hannes bridge fitted at some stage, and am also thinking about having a danelectro style lipstick single coil pup mounted in the middle, with it's own output jack, for stereo DI and a more "jangly" tone.

sorry to rant, but i am still in love with her!

twisted

oh no need to apologize. i get the same way with a great guitar. i obsess over my wife's Larrivee P-01 Parlour guitar. it has the most pristine tone for recording acoustic leads.

i really need a prime Tele tho. thats the one guitar ive been missing. your beauty reignited my guitar lust! love
sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't do the extra pickup on that guitar. Please. If you really need that sound, get another guitar to do it to. Putting a chrome lipstick pu in there would look terrible. At least to me.
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
flickr cloud of sound touyube
Babaluma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, perhaps you're right. it would be a "last mod", as i don't really like the idea of cutting into her. wink but the shchaller hannes bridge would look great on it i reckon:

razorblade
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Green Strat? I've got that covered.

My Stratosaurus...Australian Lacewood body, EMG DG20s.

sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is a thing of beauty! And I love those pickups - they are in my green guitar also, as well as Mike Keneally's.
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
flickr cloud of sound touyube
desess
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've had great results with a Gretsch semi-hollow guitar. It has a nice tone, that bigsby for slow and subtle tremelo and feedbacks nicely if you want it to. I would really recommend listening to a band called Stars of The Lid who produce beautiful ambient music just on guitars. The set up they use is here:
http://vintage.guitargeek.com/rigs/img/s/starsofthelid_brian_1996.gif
bleeps
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice tip! Never heard Stars of the Lid before, happy to hear them now!
zapp550
i'm prefect, are you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Love Stars of the Lid, great example of ambient guitar work
Collides/Thinktanx
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lots of nice tips in this thread. Cheers!

Btw- if you're into ambient guitar and you haven't heard Hammock, you are missing out big time!
Nano
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the things that I've found to make ambient guitar music is to find a reverb pedal with a wet/dry knob. The RV-3 is awesome for this. You can turn the knob so only 25% of the original signal is coming through. Works great.
Nano
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also check out Seaworthy
Wow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: