MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
The Roots of Trance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The Roots of Trance
dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im a little late to this one but...
Trance is alive and well! In california we benefit from a multitude of underground outdoor parties usually featuring fairly obscure and super synthd out dark/neuro psy trance. We even have two goa gil parties a year- one for his birthday in october, and one on memorial day weekend. We just celebrated gils 60th birthday last year!!

I personally make a loooot of psy trance, almost exclusively with modular gear. It is not the norm, but my experimental, evil, atonal trance shit does seem to have its niche. Check it out in my dog of tears soundcloud link. Babz here has mastered a couple tracks of mine, one of which is featured on my SC.

I highly recommend checking out music by some awesome artists like Ghreg on Earth, Derango, Sectio Aurea, Enichkin, Psykovsky, Axis Mundi, Fractal Cowboys, Facehead, Luuli, Secret Society, and many others. It is all super whacked out and trippy experimental trance!!

Also you can hear one of my tracks "hermetic rust" on goa gils new compilation, entitled "shri maharaj". Once again it is made with 95% modular gear.

Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those of you that produce psytrance with a modular, have you used something akin to SSL's Digital Delay? I'm super excited that it has CV control over delay time.. syncing to god knows what. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up in the next batch.
solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dolma84 wrote:
solitaryzen wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

i have a love/hate relationship with "psy trance" music. these days it's mostly hate, but i was well into the scene from around 94 to 96, i used to go to london parties every weekend (return to the source, escape from samsara, psubliminal psychedelia etc.)

I made a bit of music in the early 90's that was classified as trance. I quite liked a lot of the stuff coming out of Germany at that time, but was well and truly over most stuff labeled as trance by the mid 90's.

You might have been at a gig I did at Megatripolis in 1994 smile

Here's one of those early 90's tunes:

was that on nova zembla or solitary sound??

i like it

Was originally released on Psy-Harmonics here in Australia, then licensed to KK/Nova Zembla in Belgium.
solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Morley wrote:

Weren't we label mates at some point?!!
The early 90's were all a bit of a blur to be honest
nuts ambulance

I was signed to the other Belgian label run by a crazy man (KK records). Katrien's partner Sjon worked for them though, so I did spend a bit of time with them in Gent (they're in Evergem now) and visited the R&S studio.

Yeah, fun times It's motherfucking bacon yo MY ASS IS BLEEDING Dead Banana
James Mandible
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never knew early trance had such an EBM influence. The stuff in this thread sounds pretty cool, looks like I have a new genre to check out w00t
Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's a good example of some EBM stuff that's got a pretty heavy trance vibe at times (see around 1:00).

The EBM entry on Wikipedia talks quite a bit about the crossover/influences of goa on industrial/ebm and vice versa.

In fact, I think I tend to prefer progressive psytrance partly because the basslines remind me of EBM.
b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love this one:

--Kendall Station
Babaluma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have most of those releases b3nsf. that early 90's german trance scene with harthouse, eye-q, sven vath etc was excellent! still gets played from time to time here too.
Taika-Kim
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excellent stuff that Teutonic Knights... Hmm I have sometimes a bit of a problem with that nihilistic german thing, verging on the nazist sometimes razz Same thing with neofolk really, for some reason most of the germa stuff goes really high on the misantrophic scale.. But damn those are tasty sounds in that track! And strange, what was the thing with Norway and EBM at that time? Can't say we would have had a similar scene, altough we're practically neighbors.

Melodic wild trance, free music & the spirit of wonder!
James Mandible
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Backroads wrote:
Here's a good example of some EBM stuff that's got a pretty heavy trance vibe at times (see around 1:00).

The EBM entry on Wikipedia talks quite a bit about the crossover/influences of goa on industrial/ebm and vice versa.

In fact, I think I tend to prefer progressive psytrance partly because the basslines remind me of EBM.

I'm sure I've read the EBM article on Wiki before, but if I saw that stuff I probably discounted it/thought it had something to do with the later future pop/whatever stuff that people tend to call EBM these days (and I hate MY ASS IS BLEEDING )

Great track too. Gonna have to try and find that release.
dolma84
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cool!!
Spanningtree
Loop free patching via 802.1d

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Loved the Harthouse label back in college, still do!

corex
scare the dog!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Backroads wrote:
Lately, though, its the progressive psytrance thats been blowing my mind. Been loving the drum/bass grooves that remind me of EBM (speaking of the roots of trance). This Ace Ventura mix has been getting heavy rotation lately:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/schatsi/ace-ventura-autumn-progmix[/s]

I was into Goa in the mid-90's but I've been really into the prog psy sound for the past 5-6 years. Ace Ventura's Rebirth is pure gold.
ben jah men
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ace Ventura is awesome.. anyone know what synths he is rockin?
Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he uses software; beyond that I have no idea. There are some youtube videos of him using a small midi controller next to a laptop, doing what looks like filter sweeps etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: