MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Arturia MiniBrute Analog mono synth!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 174, 175, 176  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Arturia MiniBrute Analog mono synth!!!
drewtoothpaste

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mine doesn't have a back-order date. I'll let you touch my arm for a dollar.
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NAAAOOOO... yr filters only got 12 dbs, innit? whereas MY filters go to 24... --Nigel Tufnel

please email (rather than PM) with any direct correspondence
Sir Ruff
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

drewtoothpaste wrote:
Mine doesn't have a back-order date. I'll let you touch my arm for dollar.
Squigg
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

drewtoothpaste wrote:
Mine doesn't have a back-order date. I'll let you touch my arm for a dollar.

I dont know if i would take that as a good or bad thing. the date that is.
ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MrDys wrote:
The filter was probably the least of it that made me want to get it. Personally, I love that there's an oscillator mixer and that each wave shape has its own dedicated waveshaper control (PWM, super saw, wave folder). That's the type of synth voice that I regularly patch up with my modular, so it's great to see it in one package. It's like they read my mind.

You could have swapped in any number of filters in the minibrute and I still would have gotten it based on the voice architecture.

I agree, although I grew up with "traditional" mono synths where filters were all-important in sculpting the timbre of your sound, I find using waveshapers/wavefolders etc. far more rewarding these days. And the Arturia Brute has several - sounds like a particular reviewer needs to shake some old habits... hihi

Cheers
Blair

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

drewtoothpaste wrote:
I'll let you touch my arm for a dollar.

only if it's after one of your weight lifting sessions...
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bet the touch would be worth it. He's meaty, after all.
Jason Brock
just visiting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I never could understand the worship some people have for the 24 dB/octave filter, like it was the holy grail of topology.

It's good. It's great in some cases. But it's not as though 12 dB is an "inferior" design. It's like saying chocolate is inferior to vanilla or strawberry.

I really don't think the slope of a filter makes a huge difference in character anyway, based on my experience. A Moog transistor ladder in 2-pole mode still sounds Moogy to me, just a bit brighter. And I would bet that if a Steiner filter were designed to have a 24dB slope, it would still retain its own unique character too, instead of suddenly sounding like a Moog. The real tonal difference seems to be mostly determined by the method used to create the resonant feedback loop.
dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Look at the crazy popularity of the Serge synthesizer......2-pole filters and all.
The Yamaha CS-80 has been touted to be one of the fattest-sounding poly synths in history, 12-dB's notwithstanding!
Anyone want to question the obesity of the Oberheim SEM?

I think that the argument of the Arturia (or any other synth, for that matter) being inferior for having 2-pole LPF's instead of 4-pole ones is pretty lame.
And while we are on the argument of screwed-up views from those SOS reviewers, I remember the reviews of both the Analogue Systems RS Integrator and the Doepfer A-100 in the late 90's done by Chris Carter. He gave a raving review of the AS, praising the "high construction quality and excellent sound" of it, while giving the Doepfer a tepid, lackluster one. At that time I personally had the opportunity to try out both of these systems. I had a generous Doepfer rig, and wanted to expand it with AS, so I purchased 3 VCO's, a mixer and and a filter, and what a disappointment!! The PC boards were bent at their attachment to the front panels, the front panel legends were cheap-looking and barely legible (font too thin) and some were fading (in all fairnesss to Carter, he did briefly state that the front panels looked cheap). The jacks were as loose as the Doepfers (not mentioned by CarterThe filter was kind of bland for me. Chris Carter wrote that they "oozed quality" (WTF!!! angry very frustrating ).
In all fairness to AS, a few years later I bought a Bode FS clone, and the build was better, with great sound, even though the front plate was still hard to read and cheap-looking. I have therefore declared, based on my experience, the Doepfer to be overall superior to the AS, and have stuck with it since.

Now, I am not implying that the SOS staff is British-biased, but in my personal experiences with these instruments I just could not see what this dude what describing in his reviews, and since then I take his opinions with a heavy sodium load. Nevertheless, I still love some of their articles, especially Gordon Reids', and I think his review of the Buchla was fair, in spite of how bruised Don's feelings got.
mhtones
Dreams in CV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Latest from Musician's Friend.

Spoke to a CS rep today because I just received another backorder automated email after receiving a similar email a couple weeks ago. He indicated that I still had a tentative backorder shipping date of end of April. The date on their website for July is for anyone ordering a Minibrute today. He indicated that they had 97 pre-orders and I found out that I was somewhere between #60 - 70. They are expecting 90 Minibrutes at the end of April. So, 91 - 97 will be filled upon their 2nd shipment, hence the July date.

One thing to note: You will fall off their pre-order waiting list if you do not contact them within 60 days of your order. So, if your a part of the first 90 and still want your Minibrute tentatively shipped in April, you'll need to call them and let them know. By calling, they reset your 60 day grace period.

Now, all this is what I was told by MF CS. I take it all with a grain of salt. I'm hopeful for April, but prepared for actually receiving this later. Will give me more time to save up for it. hihi And sorry if someone else has already posted all this, I didn't want to read thru the hundreds of posts. Besides, figured this was an update that some might appreciate.
Small Type: I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with Musicians Friend or any other retailer for that matter. thumbs up

What??? No 24db filter, crap I'm cancelling my pre-order. hihi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 174, 175, 176  Next [all]
Page 62 of 176

Jump to: