MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Embarking on 5U: high functional density, 2 voices in 22U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Embarking on 5U: high functional density, 2 voices in 22U
tonnu
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Embarking on 5U: high functional density, 2 voices in 22U Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi guys,

Yep, you've guessed it right! Another "5U Module Suggestions" thread. smile

A little bit of background: I currently have a modest 9U system consisting of some nice modules include: AFG, m15, qmmg, borg II, polivoks, wogglebug, etc. However, I've always felt that the sounds are too harsh, distorted, thin, and piercing, etc. I do enjoy the noisy stuff, but I also want a "classic 70's synth" sound as well.

And then I saw this:

And I since then I have had a REAL BIG hardon for 5U!

Alas, the 5U is much harder to comprehend than the Euro. There's a lot of DIY attitude and all the DOTCOM / MOTM / Modcan etc. formats incompatibility. That is why I really need your help!

What I would like to achieve with this synth is the following:
- "Vintage 70's sounding" without having to be 100% accurate reproduction of minimoog / moog modular. But i want *that* vibe, nice thick and round.
- 2 voices. One will be a more vintage / round voice. Another will be more edgy and (dare I say) "west coast" but still melodic
- 2VCO for each voice
- I'd start with 22U Dotcom Portable cabinet
- I'll breakdown my purchases into two phases, one voice each time
- I'll sequence notes / gates from DAW. But hopefully 1 CV sequencer for tempo synced movements.
- Dotcom format. Strictly no DIY--not even drilling holes, installing powersupply, etc.

Here's my 1st module list:

- Oakley MU-S-VCO
- Oakley MU-S-VCO
- Oakley MU-Diode Superladder
- Dotcom Q109 Envelope Generator
- Dotcom Q109 Envelope Generator
- SSL Tap Tempo LFO - Model 1260
- STG Active Multiples
- STG Mixer
- Oakley MU-MultiMix
- Grove Audio GMS-714 QUAD VCA/GATE
- Grove Audio GMS-742 MIDI TO CV CONVERTER

From my count I have:
2x VCO
1x Filter
2x ADSR
1x LFO
4 channels of multiples
4 channels of mixer / attenuator
4x VCA
2x MIDI cv/gate channels + clock

So my questions are the following:

- How's the Oakley MU-S-VCO compared to MOS-Lab and COTK stuff? Is it meant to be a "vintage" sounding VCO or more modern? What is the general aesthetics / design principles of Oakley's modules?

- How's the Diode Superladder filter? From hearing the demo / description, it's more an VCS3/TB303 squelchy type of filter than a "round" moog filter. Are there any other choices that can get me the sounds I want, preferrably in 1U.

- To MOS-Lab owners: the reason I'm not with MOS-Lab VCO and VCF is because the technical specs differences. The VCO is 5vpp instead of 10vpp. The VCF will only accept up to 5vpp without distorting (from Seb). Has anyone ever used MOS-Lab VCO with MU / DotCom stuff? Does 10vpp matter? Alternatively, if I feed 10vpp into the MOS-Lab VCF, will it distort big time? HOW!

So these are my most pressing question. The key question is "with these modules how close am I going to get to the sound i want". If the answer is not very, I'd really like to know how to get the MOS-Lab stuff to work.

5U is so sexy! But it's a bit of a twilight soon compared to the very active euro scene. I mean, what's up with the waiting of the modules! It's really annoying. (6 months for MOS-Lab--KILL ME)

nanners Rockin' Banana!

Anyway, here's my second batch plan (in case anyone cares):

- Sputnik DWG
- Oakley Croglin VCF
- STG Post-Lawsuit Lowpass Filter
- CdS VCF/A LPG
- Voltage Mini-Store
- Looping ADSR with integral VCA
- Quad LFO - Model 1250
- GMS-714 QUAD VCA/GATE

(not yet finalized, will probably have to get more mults in there somehow!)

Thanks guys!
CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That looks like an awesome plan to me. thumbs up I wouldn't change much.

I'm really interested in the Oakley stuff myself. Seems you get a lot for your money with those modules. I'm definitely gonna snag a VRG when they're ready. I might even replace those Q109's with the Oakley/Krisp1 Looping ADSR w/ VCA. Also very interested in hearing opinions on the Grove GMS-714 Quad VCA/Gate, looks like a lot of functionality at a great price. For something a little more spicy the 20 Objects Ardcore 001(and they're coming out with an expander for it soon) looks fun. Awesome time to get into MU... a ton of cool stuff out there right now SlayerBadger!

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: A relative n00b's opinions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About the only expertise I can claim is that my wife supports my habit. Mr. Green

That said, let me offer my opinions:

1) if you want two voices, have two cabs. That's what I did. It works fine up
to about three, then you end up duplicating too much stuff.

2) "east coast" versus "west coast" is more a state of mind than anything else.
My hardware is "east coast' - about half Dotcom (should I say it's "Gulf Coast?")
but I usually patch in annoying, dronish, "west coast" ways; I have a pair of 500mm
ribbon controllers, and usually patch in no keyboard. Does that make me west coast?

3) Oakley style: They're a little constrained- four knobs over four jacks and with
a switch on the right side of the module between pot 1 and pot 2, and another switch
on the right between pot 3 and pot 4. That said, they pack a lot of functionality
into a 1MU width. *THAT* said, buy them used because importing them to the
US is a bit spendy if you buy them from Krisp1. **THAT** said, they ship within
a week and they won't let you order if it's not in stock.

4) Multiples are overrated. Buy a ten-pack of 1/4" "twofers" and save your
module slots for something useful.

5) Go with the Oakley quad VCA/Mixer; you get four VCA channels, which you
can use either as VCAs or VC Mixer channels, in just two rack spaces.

6) I really didn't like the sound of the CdS compared to the sound of the Delta filter.
That said, I've never heard the CdS in person, and I bought the Delta, so maybe
I'm biased. But if you only have ONE filter, get the dotcom Q107 State Variable
Filter, because it does so many things so well.

7) The dotcom Q106 oscillator is highly underrated, probably because it's so
inexpensive (about *half* the cost of the Oakley, when you count shipping and
insurance and the exchange rate). But the Q106 sounds great, tracks
extraordinarily well, and runs down into slow LFO speeds without any problems.
The only hitch is that it's 2 MU wide. On the other hand, you can set a jumper
on the back panel to turn the volt-per-octave jacks into an on-board multiple,
which is quite the handy thing!

For that matter, *all* of the Dotcom modules are really excellent on the
price/performance scale, and in some ways, are top performers all around. (the
only exception I'd say is the Q104 midi->cv, which I don't like very much at all).
Other than the Q104, you might want to consider the Dotcom modules
to see if you want to save some money for that second cabinet :-) .

8) the Oakley looping ADSR/VCA is quite nice. I ended up with a couple (bought
as part of a package, used) and I like them a whole lot... but a bit less
than before since I got the SSL Tap-Tempo LFO. There's an aftermarket
kit that gives a Q109 envelope generator an internal VCA, which sounds like
a good deal to me.

9) I would certainly consider having a single oscillator plus an STG Wave Folder
as a very viable replacement for a two-VCO voice, especially for a second voice.
A good wavefolder is only -6 dB shy of pure magic, and lets you dial a very
Moogish, classic oldskool sound relatively easily on just one sine wave oscillator. hyper

10) I've not used the Grove MIDI->CV modules, but it looks decent (2-4 voices!).
However it doesn't do any controllers, aftertouch, pitch bend, mod wheel, etc,
so you might want to look into a Moon 551 MIDI->CV, which gives you note CV,
velocity, aftertouch, pitch bend, mod wheel, plus any arbitrary controller.

11) You might want to pick your controller first- do you have a particular keyboard
you want to use? Some kb's don't have mod wheels, some have just pitch bend,
some have pitch plus mod, some have pitch bend, mod1, and mod2 (i.e. a Miniak).
Some keyboards send only velocity, some send both velocity and aftertouch (pressure).
My "synth elmer" summed it up well: "It's all about control." - that meaning, not
just the ability to change things, but to do it in a controllable way. He was talking
about playing keyboards, but it applies to a lot of things in life.

12) Waiting for modules? Hah. Dotcom gives you a ship date with the price quote;
I've never had it be more than two weeks and it's usually one week (5 orders so far.
SSL usually ships in two days (3 orders); Megaohm shipped me the Delta in three
days (1 order), Oakley (Krisp1, 1 order) shipped in three days, and STG (3 orders)
varies but he tells you up front whether what you want is in stock or not, and if it
is, again it's usually a two-day-to-ship situation. Encore (maker of the UEG, 1 order)
shipped in two days. Moon (from Noisebug, 1 order) also shipped in 2 days.

I can't find fault with any of those schedules. On the other hand, I've heard a few
horror stories about other sellers, but I can't say anything bad about Dotcom, SSL,
STG, Krisp1, Moon/Noisebug, or Encore.

Wow... my mouth runneth over. It's motherfucking bacon yo

- Bill

kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wsy has some good advise.

The Oakley ADSR/VCA is much more usable than the Q109 alone.

I you get the Q109, send it to Phil at MegaOhm for a VCA Rider Kit.

The Q106 is worth having. A Krisp1 Oakley single width vco would compliment it nicely, but the Q106 is a de-facto standard.

I love my Diode Super Ladder Filter and would suggest it is a great second filter choice. First filter? The Q107 state variable filter. That or an Oakley VC/SVF in a pinch.

Another Oakley must-have is the Multi-Mix. I can't even begin to express the flexibility and character of this simple mixer.

videos
ModularGrid
darwingrosse
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: A relative n00b's opinions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wsy nailed a lot of great points. My 2 cents comes in on this:

wsy wrote:

10) I've not used the Grove MIDI->CV modules, but it looks decent (2-4 voices!).

I've gone through a ton of MIDI->CV modules, and can say tha tthe Moon 551 is absolutely the best thing I've ever gotten. The price is good, the options are phenomenal. It has completely revolutionized my use of the keyboard (thanks mainly to the smart mapping of the mod wheel and aux controller, which I use all the time).

It's good enough that I'm launching my Expressionist. Hard for me to believe (I was actually searching for another Expressionist when I got the 551, and now there is no looking back), but it's gonna happen.

Art+Music+Technology podcast:
http://artmusictech.libsyn.com/
tonnu
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi guys

thanks a lot for the suggestions, very useful indeed.

regarding the modules choices, i'm also looking at DotCom. However, if you look at my list, that's for **ONE** cabinet. it's exactly 22 spaces at the moment.

i'm going for mostly 1U units to pack most function into smallest space as possible. so any modules that become 2U, like the DotCom oscillator, will be at a huge sacrifice in terms of features.

so that's why i went with S-VCO--even if it's like 30-40% more expensive! anyone has experience specifically with this module compared to the DotCom VCO's?

for the filter, i would like a 24db filter first and foremost with a moogish (smooth / full / creamy) character so the Q107 SVF will not do. what are other 1U choices for great 4 slope filters? i really want a moogish transistor ladder (in 1U)!!

great idea for the split patch cables, i'll try to stock up on that!

anyway, please keep the comments coming! 1U modules preferrably! although if something is *really* that great, i'll sacrifice functionality for the sake of quality.

oh, one more thing, MOS-Lab guys, I really want to know your experience using MOS-Lab with DotCom especially in terms of the 10vpp and 5vpp difference! thanks!
bloke_zero
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you want the 70's sound I can recommend the Oakley super ladder transistor version: http://www.oakleysound.com/super.htm I don't know if you're going DIY or buying from krisp1, but it looks like the board is out of stock, back in march - it has that warm thick sound. I built the 3U version and I *love* the 1 pole output.
wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tonnu wrote:
Hi guys

thanks a lot for the suggestions, very useful indeed.

regarding the modules choices, i'm also looking at DotCom. However, if you look at my list, that's for **ONE** cabinet. it's exactly 22 spaces at the moment.

i'm going for mostly 1U units to pack most function into smallest space as possible. so any modules that become 2U, like the DotCom oscillator, will be at a huge sacrifice in terms of features.

so that's why i went with S-VCO--even if it's like 30-40% more expensive! anyone has experience specifically with this module compared to the DotCom VCO's?

for the filter, i would like a 24db filter first and foremost with a moogish (smooth / full / creamy) character so the Q107 SVF will not do. what are other 1U choices for great 4 slope filters? i really want a moogish transistor ladder (in 1U)!!

great idea for the split patch cables, i'll try to stock up on that!

anyway, please keep the comments coming! 1U modules preferrably! although if something is *really* that great, i'll sacrifice functionality for the sake of quality.

The Oakley SVCO is $290 (once you convert GBP to $), and then you have to get
it across the pond. It ships by Royal Mail, Insured, Air, so it'll end up costing you
just under $50 for the shipping. End result is it's closer to 75% more expensive
than a Q106. And the Q106 has a lot more features - linear FM, hard / soft sync,
PWM, 3 exponential inputs (1 with an attenuator). The cost is an extra MU
of width, but it might be worth it (the multiple inputs alone might save you a mixer).

Maybe consider splitting: one Dotcom Q106 osc and one Oakley SVCO osc?

As to "full and creamy" - can you actually get a chance to lay your hands on
a Q107 and try it? When you do, try the feedback loop trick - feed the output of the
filter back into the input via a secondary mixer; this generates some very cool
phasing and resonance interactions and IMHO is part of the sound of quite a few
very memorable Moog patches. Also run the output of the filter back into
the attenuated linear or exponential FM inputs of a Q106 and see if those
timbres float your boat (interestingly, the filter FM feedback path is built into
the MegaOhm Delta filter, and I think it's one of the reasons that filter has such
a great set of sounds)

I've diffed the sound of the Q107 with a "clone ladder", and to my ear, it sounds
pretty darn good without the feedback; comparing a Q107 SVF + feedback trick
versus a clone ladder without and the Q107 is "fuller and creamier", fully a
competitor for the classic MiniMoog sound. Note also that the current Minimoogs
have multimode filters (i.e. the Performer has lowpass and highpass, which
is probably-but-I've-not-seen-a-schematic implemented with the SVF topology)

Maybe that's the right answer so far - go take a listen and a wiggle for yourself.
What's your metropolitan area? Maybe someone will take pity on you and let you
do a test drive. What I am listening for may not be what you are listening for, and
MP3 compression is a LOUSY way to move critical-listening sounds around.

- Bill

burdij
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am pleased to see that there is some interest in raising the "density" of 5U modules. I think it will improve the ability of 5U to compete with some of the other formats and make 5U a viable format for portable and performance situations. That is why I have been working on high density modules lately like the GMS-714 Quad VCA/Gate and the upcoming 4 and 8 channel DAHDSR, AR, LFO module.

I would also like to correct some information about the GMS-742 MIDI to CV converter. I have implemented functionality in the latest software version that adds several operating modes. A split keyboard mode divides a 5 octave keyboard into a two octave bass section and a three octave lead. A 2 ch. mode with soft LFOs that can modulate the internally generated CVs or output the LFO waveforms as analog signals is also new. Unlike some of the other MIDI to CV converters, however, these waveforms can be modulated by external MIDI control commands.

There is a single channel mode that provides note, velocity, pitchbend and mod wheel as seperate CVs.

wsy wrote:

A list of most of the currently implemented operating modes can be found here: GMS-742

tonnu
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanks for the answer!

actually i've emailed you but i haven't received any answers yet!

i'm thinking of ordering the midi/cv converter as well as the 1U version of the quad VCA

are they available? my credit card is ready!!

burdij wrote:
I am pleased to see that there is some interest in raising the "density" of 5U modules. I think it will improve the ability of 5U to compete with some of the other formats and make 5U a viable format for portable and performance situations. That is why I have been working on high density modules lately like the GMS-714 Quad VCA/Gate and the upcoming 4 and 8 channel DAHDSR, AR, LFO module.

I would also like to correct some information about the GMS-742 MIDI to CV converter. I have implemented functionality in the latest software version that adds several operating modes. A split keyboard mode divides a 5 octave keyboard into a two octave bass section and a three octave lead. A 2 ch. mode with soft LFOs that can modulate the internally generated CVs or output the LFO waveforms as analog signals is also new. Unlike some of the other MIDI to CV converters, however, these waveforms can be modulated by external MIDI control commands.

There is a single channel mode that provides note, velocity, pitchbend and mod wheel as seperate CVs.

wsy wrote:

A list of most of the currently implemented operating modes can be found here: GMS-742

btw i'm NOT in the states. so either way i'll have to absorb shipping and duties, so the differences is only in terms of currency, which is still shit as GBP is so overvalued. but like i said, i'll try to cram as much as possible into the 22U!!

anyway also read that motm is going mu format soon! that'll be great. the filters and oscillators. yum!! It's motherfucking bacon yo Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
klstay
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

burdij wrote:

John,

That single channel mode sounds great; the only other thing I would ask for on it is aftertouch if possible.

Higher density is really my thing lately for my setup. (If the OP is still going with Q109s I still have 7 of them for sale along with a Q108, Q112 and Q113 and .com Q104 MIDI-CV!) As soon as your double width quad VCA with initial gain and the multi-module mix bus is shipping I will be ordering at least 3 of them. thumbs up
EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm absolutely blown away by that MOS video. First reaction "holy crap"; 2nd reaction "it's the 70's all over again" 3rd reaction "I need to sell my Old School Voyager and buy that"

Something so simplistic about having such a finite set of modules, no distractions just raw balls to the wall power. From what I read in the YouTube comments it's just a Kenton 2K and it's LFO assisting.

Impressed...
wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: In the search for "creamyness".... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found this video on Youtube, by our own Master of Tweed.
Maybe it'll help you find your creamy moogieness....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vguV1cBiBM

which is a SIX-filter shootout, including the MegaOhm CdS, the Dotcom
transistor ladder (Moog clone) and the Dotcom Q106 State Variable Filter.

Worth watching, even if the audio is only on your computer speakers.

- Bill

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: MOTM going MU-format??? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whaaa?? MOTM going MU-format?

Where did *that* rumor start?

Seriously, that would be astonishing. But I'd certainly be happy for it.

- Bill

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: MOTM going MU-format??? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wsy wrote:
Whaaa?? MOTM going MU-format?

Where did *that* rumor start?

Seriously, that would be astonishing. But I'd certainly be happy for it.

- Bill

From SynthTech Paul himself >

paults wrote:
8 - Scott has the rights to place MOTM designs into the MU format. All new MOTM designs going forward will have MOTM and .com power connectors. I am not saying *IF* or *WHEN* a MU design will be available. All I am saying is that I will have the pc boards designed for it.

Taken from the MOTM 3.0 thread -> http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51213

I'm seriously looking forward to such if it happens!
tonnu
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've also got the info from the email exchange with Scott (if this is uncalled for please tell me and I'll delete this post)

Thanks wsy the video is great! wink

Gonna be ordering soon!

Btw mr. Grove if you are reading this thread pls give me an answer! My PayPal loves your modules!!
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Location: Tweed Manor, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EMwhite wrote:
I'm absolutely blown away by that MOS video. First reaction "holy crap"; 2nd reaction "it's the 70's all over again" 3rd reaction "I need to sell my Old School Voyager and buy that"

Something so simplistic about having such a finite set of modules, no distractions just raw balls to the wall power. From what I read in the YouTube comments it's just a Kenton 2K and it's LFO assisting.

Impressed...

Yeah, it is impressive. Particularly the bit from around 7:00 to 8:50. I'm a sucker for good hard sync sounds and the first bit of that roughly two minute long section just nails that banshee screech of swept hard sync beautifully.
magneticweb
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maybe consider a fully fleshed out oakley VCO...the exp/lin functions will have you stoked. unique centered/edge pulse width zone too..

also when ordering with mr krisp i try to order a few at a time to try and reduce shipping costs a bit...just got my order of two slim vco IIs, discontinuity and a triple lfo...very happy with the purchases and will be getting a few more things from him soon.

also cant go wrong with almost ANY oakley filter...but would recommend the large 3U size...that variable slope is NICE.
fac
wig MUffler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't read all the posts but here are some ideas:

1) 22 spaces is plenty for a two-voice system. I often did two voices with my first 22-space system and that was with stock dotcom modules only. Today, there's much more dense modules around.

2) I'm not sure if you're considering the necessary Q137 Power Interface module in your 22-space count.

3) Instead of the Oakley S-VCOs, you could also wait a few weeks for the new SSL VCO to be released. It's also 1MU and if you live in the US it will be cheaper than the Oakley.

4) The Grove Audio Quad VCA and MIDI2CV modules have not been released, yet. And there is a lot of uncertainty about when that may happen.

5) Also, there seem to be too many filters in the WC voice. Instead of the two filters, I would suggest another LPG and a waveshaper. I would also suggest some west-coast envelopes (e.g., Sputnik DFG or Cynthia's Four Transients) instead of the looping ADSR. Here's my idea:

- Sputnik DWG (or two SWGs)
- Two Megaohm CdS
- STG Wavefolder
- Cynthia Four Transients
- STG Voltage Mini-Store
- STG Trigger Mini-Store or Megaohm LFO-Two if you need a clock source

Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Tonnu,

As the happy owner of a 5U system consisting of 24 spaces worth of Mos-Lab modules I thought I might chime in and share my experience and thoughts...

Mos-Lab modules are to be almost 100% carbon copies of the 900 series Moog modules, but with modern components (different characteristics and different tolerances will produce slight differences in sound). At least the Mos Lab modules try to be as faithful as possible to the original circuits with some minor changes here and there...This implies that the Mos Lab modules are like 45 years old... 45 years is quite a long time in terms of technological development and the least we can say is that those modules are not optimal in terms of functional integration. the Mos Lab/ Moog philosophy is more of the one module = one function type. This is why your project of blending "classical" designs with more functionally dense ones makes sense.
I too wanted that "vintage 70's" sound...and Mos Lab surely delivers that, but there are some drawbacks. No CV inputs have any attenuators (except for the 992), nor have signal outputs any level control. This means, if you want to achieve the kind of flexibility or versatility you can get from, say, Eurorack modules, you need to have dedicated attenuators, attenuvertors, attenuverting mixers,etc... Also, no such thing as Stackcables in 5U, so you need some multiples (the CP10 is covering some of those needs, or you could use some Y-cables (one mono male jack to two mono male jacks) to send one signal source to two destinations. All these utilities take up considerable rack space...

So, to further extend patching possibilities and functionality, I too decided to blend my Mos Lab modules with some modern designs. Not to say specifically West Coast typed modules but modules with a strong sonic and functional signature...that of Rob Hordijk designs.

My Rob Hordijk modules recently arrived and even though I haven't yet scratched the surface of what is possible with those, I can tell that the two types of modules do work very well together. And yes, Hordijk modules have larger amplitudes but I have enough utilities to adapt those levels and to avoid unwanted signal distortions. Needless to say that I'm very happy with the choices I made, but maybe these options would not exactly suit your particular needs or expectations.

You can get some more detailed info in following threads :

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40269&highlight=d%E9s ir%E9

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53265&highlight=hordi jk

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47955&highlight=hordi jk

In conclusion I would say it's up to you to make the right choices to match your personal needs, your creational processes, your way of working, your musical, sonic, aesthetic tastes and , of course, your budget.
Nevertheless, if, for your "classic voice", you don't want to wait several months, you want more features packed in less space and if you want more homogeneous signal levels, perhaps you should consider Oakley instead of Mos Lab...

Hope this helps...

Z.

klstay
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Still looking for 2 voices in 22U?

In any case I guess it all depends on what you call a voice. IMHO a 'full' voice has ~ 3 sound source VCOs, noise, S&H, 3+mixers, 2 filters, 7 EGs, 6 VCAs, a pair of full feature VCLFOs, 1 or 2 utility LFOs, distributor, panning, 2 slew, utility module for offset/inverting etc. and an animator/folder/clipper type module.
tonnu
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hi there many thanks for additional answers

so yeah, in the end i decided to go against MOS-Labs (with MUCH regret, i still have their page permanently opened in my browser)

already got 2x Oakley SVCO (thanks darwin!), waiting for and STG PLLF and STG Mixer, and i bought some cheap DotCom VCA and envelopes so that would be core for my first voice.

boothnavy is also building an MOTM-490 for MU for me. really excited for that as well!

and lastly i'm waiting for roman's sputnik DWG and LPG.

next i'll get some LFO's ... SSL's TTLFO and another simpler one .. maybe SSL quad LFO

so that's the plan for now!

i'm not a player so i'm not really worried about keyboard modulation, etc. also, i'm hoping to use my euro for S&H, random voltages, etc. (but 7EGs for one voice? wow!). no lag as i'll use midi-cv glide.

i'm still waiting for John to build me the grove model ... according to his last email it should be ready soon--let's see. i may be one of the first to have his midi-cv module and the quadVCA grin

@zeitdehner your setup is pure MAGIC!! i am really looking forward to owning a Hordjik module as well, but still can't get over the MU sized but non-MU look, i'm really anal.
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tonnu wrote:
boothnavy is also building an MOTM-490 for MU for me. really excited for that as well!

I'm sorry, after a long day at work I so have to say this: I so should ask him if he can renovate my kitchen -mm, CV controlled appliances! SlayerBadger! I swear, the man's a genius with the variety of things he's put out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: