MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
faster now, stronger

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Embarking on 5U: high functional density, 2 voices in 22U
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Embarking on 5U: high functional density, 2 voices in 22U
klstay
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

burdij wrote:

There is a single channel mode that provides note, velocity, pitchbend and mod wheel as seperate CVs.

John,

That single channel mode sounds great; the only other thing I would ask for on it is aftertouch if possible.

Higher density is really my thing lately for my setup. (If the OP is still going with Q109s I still have 7 of them for sale along with a Q108, Q112 and Q113 and .com Q104 MIDI-CV!) As soon as your double width quad VCA with initial gain and the multi-module mix bus is shipping I will be ordering at least 3 of them. thumbs up
EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm absolutely blown away by that MOS video. First reaction "holy crap"; 2nd reaction "it's the 70's all over again" 3rd reaction "I need to sell my Old School Voyager and buy that"

Something so simplistic about having such a finite set of modules, no distractions just raw balls to the wall power. From what I read in the YouTube comments it's just a Kenton 2K and it's LFO assisting.

Impressed...
wsy
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: In the search for "creamyness".... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found this video on Youtube, by our own Master of Tweed.
Maybe it'll help you find your creamy moogieness....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vguV1cBiBM

which is a SIX-filter shootout, including the MegaOhm CdS, the Dotcom
transistor ladder (Moog clone) and the Dotcom Q106 State Variable Filter.

Worth watching, even if the audio is only on your computer speakers.

- Bill

wsy
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: MOTM going MU-format??? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whaaa?? MOTM going MU-format?

Where did *that* rumor start?

Seriously, that would be astonishing. But I'd certainly be happy for it.

- Bill

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: MOTM going MU-format??? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wsy wrote:
Whaaa?? MOTM going MU-format?

Where did *that* rumor start?

Seriously, that would be astonishing. But I'd certainly be happy for it.

- Bill

From SynthTech Paul himself >

paults wrote:
8 - Scott has the rights to place MOTM designs into the MU format. All new MOTM designs going forward will have MOTM and .com power connectors. I am not saying *IF* or *WHEN* a MU design will be available. All I am saying is that I will have the pc boards designed for it.

Taken from the MOTM 3.0 thread -> http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51213

I'm seriously looking forward to such if it happens!
tonnu
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've also got the info from the email exchange with Scott (if this is uncalled for please tell me and I'll delete this post)

Thanks wsy the video is great! wink

Gonna be ordering soon!

Btw mr. Grove if you are reading this thread pls give me an answer! My PayPal loves your modules!!
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Location: Tweed Manor, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EMwhite wrote:
I'm absolutely blown away by that MOS video. First reaction "holy crap"; 2nd reaction "it's the 70's all over again" 3rd reaction "I need to sell my Old School Voyager and buy that"

Something so simplistic about having such a finite set of modules, no distractions just raw balls to the wall power. From what I read in the YouTube comments it's just a Kenton 2K and it's LFO assisting.

Impressed...

Yeah, it is impressive. Particularly the bit from around 7:00 to 8:50. I'm a sucker for good hard sync sounds and the first bit of that roughly two minute long section just nails that banshee screech of swept hard sync beautifully.
magneticweb
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maybe consider a fully fleshed out oakley VCO...the exp/lin functions will have you stoked. unique centered/edge pulse width zone too..

also when ordering with mr krisp i try to order a few at a time to try and reduce shipping costs a bit...just got my order of two slim vco IIs, discontinuity and a triple lfo...very happy with the purchases and will be getting a few more things from him soon.

also cant go wrong with almost ANY oakley filter...but would recommend the large 3U size...that variable slope is NICE.
fac
wig MUffler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't read all the posts but here are some ideas:

1) 22 spaces is plenty for a two-voice system. I often did two voices with my first 22-space system and that was with stock dotcom modules only. Today, there's much more dense modules around.

2) I'm not sure if you're considering the necessary Q137 Power Interface module in your 22-space count.

3) Instead of the Oakley S-VCOs, you could also wait a few weeks for the new SSL VCO to be released. It's also 1MU and if you live in the US it will be cheaper than the Oakley.

4) The Grove Audio Quad VCA and MIDI2CV modules have not been released, yet. And there is a lot of uncertainty about when that may happen.

5) Also, there seem to be too many filters in the WC voice. Instead of the two filters, I would suggest another LPG and a waveshaper. I would also suggest some west-coast envelopes (e.g., Sputnik DFG or Cynthia's Four Transients) instead of the looping ADSR. Here's my idea:

- Sputnik DWG (or two SWGs)
- Two Megaohm CdS
- STG Wavefolder
- Cynthia Four Transients
- STG Voltage Mini-Store
- STG Trigger Mini-Store or Megaohm LFO-Two if you need a clock source

Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Tonnu,

As the happy owner of a 5U system consisting of 24 spaces worth of Mos-Lab modules I thought I might chime in and share my experience and thoughts...

Mos-Lab modules are to be almost 100% carbon copies of the 900 series Moog modules, but with modern components (different characteristics and different tolerances will produce slight differences in sound). At least the Mos Lab modules try to be as faithful as possible to the original circuits with some minor changes here and there...This implies that the Mos Lab modules are like 45 years old... 45 years is quite a long time in terms of technological development and the least we can say is that those modules are not optimal in terms of functional integration. the Mos Lab/ Moog philosophy is more of the one module = one function type. This is why your project of blending "classical" designs with more functionally dense ones makes sense.
I too wanted that "vintage 70's" sound...and Mos Lab surely delivers that, but there are some drawbacks. No CV inputs have any attenuators (except for the 992), nor have signal outputs any level control. This means, if you want to achieve the kind of flexibility or versatility you can get from, say, Eurorack modules, you need to have dedicated attenuators, attenuvertors, attenuverting mixers,etc... Also, no such thing as Stackcables in 5U, so you need some multiples (the CP10 is covering some of those needs, or you could use some Y-cables (one mono male jack to two mono male jacks) to send one signal source to two destinations. All these utilities take up considerable rack space...

So, to further extend patching possibilities and functionality, I too decided to blend my Mos Lab modules with some modern designs. Not to say specifically West Coast typed modules but modules with a strong sonic and functional signature...that of Rob Hordijk designs.

My Rob Hordijk modules recently arrived and even though I haven't yet scratched the surface of what is possible with those, I can tell that the two types of modules do work very well together. And yes, Hordijk modules have larger amplitudes but I have enough utilities to adapt those levels and to avoid unwanted signal distortions. Needless to say that I'm very happy with the choices I made, but maybe these options would not exactly suit your particular needs or expectations.

You can get some more detailed info in following threads :

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40269&highlight=d%E9s ir%E9

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53265&highlight=hordi jk

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47955&highlight=hordi jk

In conclusion I would say it's up to you to make the right choices to match your personal needs, your creational processes, your way of working, your musical, sonic, aesthetic tastes and , of course, your budget.
Nevertheless, if, for your "classic voice", you don't want to wait several months, you want more features packed in less space and if you want more homogeneous signal levels, perhaps you should consider Oakley instead of Mos Lab...

Hope this helps...

Z.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: