MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Allen Strange, the greatest educational book ever written?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Allen Strange, the greatest educational book ever written?
Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found a 2e at my university's library! Indeed, it is an excellent book. Nothing like curling up in front of the modular, trying out his simple exercises ~to understand a simple concept, e.g. VCO/VCF tracking~ rather than going nuts and patching everything all at once!
chinard
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just getting caught up on this thread.

$900 for a copy and you can bet NONE of that is going to Alan Strange's family.
So, remind me where the moral high-ground is in BUYING a copy?

I too bought the Adobe Reader DRM crippled version of the document. What a steaming pile of shit Adobe Reader is. I cannot wait to see that company go down in flames.
FUCK ADOBE!

I just wanted a copy i could keep on my ipad with alot of other reference, and because it is actually a bitmap level scan it exported to a 350mb PDF (which is still adobe but at least a usable format.)
grapejuice
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if you were to google the title of the book and the short form of a certain portable document format you might find a link.

it seems reasonable that this is made available seeing as it's entirely out of print and used copies are extortionately expesnive.
infradead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

grapejuice wrote:
if you were to google the title of the book and the short form of a certain portable document format you might find a link.

it seems reasonable that this is made available seeing as it's entirely out of print and used copies are extortionately expesnive.

if one was to do this that one might find that that certain portable document is pretty low quality representation of that document formant.

plus reading document formant compared to books sucks ass

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo and much neglected blog
Babaluma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...not to mention what you signed up for when you joined this site:

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47217
grapejuice
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

infradead wrote:
grapejuice wrote:

if one was to do this that one might find that that certain portable document is pretty low quality representation of that document formant.

plus reading document formant compared to books sucks ass

AND

...not to mention what you signed up for when you joined this site:

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47217

i'm sorryi did not read that upon sign-up. d'oh!

i've removed a direct link in another post. i can't possibly see there being a problem stating the fact that copies exist online and are easily findable.

it would be down right good business sense for the publisher (or copyright owner) to get a decent pdf up online for a reasonable price. i believe they ought to be able to get that going with a trip to a printing shop and a paypal account. don't hold your breath waiting for old-style media outlets to make pragmatic business decisions though eek!

until then there will be people who would greatly benefit from this information in there lives and can either pay extortionate prices to hoarders or get a not-quite perfect copy in an slightly inconvenient format for nothing. wonder how that's going to work out? Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama!
Babaluma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can argue the moral hoo-ha's as much as you like, this way or that, and you can do what you like via private message or email, but the fact of the matter is (for whatever reason), that the dissemination of links to copyrighted material on this public forum is not tolerated.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christopher Winkels wrote:
infradead wrote:
i honestly think if we could figure out who owns the rights we could either get it released to public domain or at least sold again as an ebook

Or collectively we could buy the rights, set up a POD store through a third party company (Lulu or something similar), and direct the funds back into Muff's once the initial investment is paid back.

This book is going for ridiculous prices. $300+. You can't tell me you cant make a profit from a $300 book! I could photocopy a book with an inkjet printer a still make on a $300 book, and still pay royalties.

Where are the publishing rights?

https://www.facebook.com/GlennKingsleyMortimerComposer

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer
vav
Beer Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How would we go about buying the rights?
peripatitis
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So is the book copyrighted ?
The copies sold seem to be 30 years old....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: