MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Which breed of cat would you pick and why? HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Which breed of cat would you pick and why? HELP!
4utonomy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Which breed of cat would you pick and why? HELP! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bengal:

OR

Russian Blue

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neither. Don't get the idea of having a pet. How's about watching wildlife films on telly? hihi
LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bengal's, because they like water, and that would make bathing fun, instead of UFC/Madmax/waterworld.

On a sad note there's been heaps of lost notes around my area lately for one that went missing, with a huge reward. I definitely think they're appealing enough that people will steal them if given the opportunity.

Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deep fried with orange sauce or with cashews. I'm always torn.
Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whilst I adore British Blues if I were to have a cat again I would go to the local rescued animal shelter and re-home a moggy, just as I and my family have done many times before.

Out of the two I would prefer a Bengal though!
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Russian Blue. Their fur is just so damn gorgeous!
solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reality Checkpoint wrote:
(...)I would go to the local rescued animal shelter and re-home a moggy

this.
MrBiggs
I see dead people

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Breeds shmeeds. Go to the shelter and get what needs you. My rescue mutt cats and rescue half pit-bull mutt dog are awesome.
Kaput
merry prankster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definitely go and rescue a cat from your local shelter.

So many cats out there need good homes and don't get them. Many are abandoned and / or mistreated.

I say this to everyone - please do whatever you can for the cat community and give a cat a good home.

Forumcat #2

thumbs up

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

whitewulfe wrote:
Russian Blue. Their fur is just so damn gorgeous!

+1 I love the way their fur forms a Celtic swirl.

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaput wrote:

So many cats out there need good homes and don't get them. Many are abandoned and / or mistreated.

I say this to everyone - please do whatever you can for the cat community and give a cat a good home.

I got a kitten for my family last June. The animal shelters in and around Belfast are so Nazi about housing their moggies that I opted for a little tabby on Gumtree. Honestly, it's easier to adopt a baby than a cat in Belfast.

That said, our little moggie is very stand-offish. She only wants attention for a few minutes a day, and absolutely on her terms. Ungrateful little shit.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I take in the cat that adopts me, usually. Never a 'breed'. I've found tabby cats to be the best buddies.

Everything in my studio is for sale until 75% of it is gone! Then I'll stop selling and refrain from buying anything else. I promise.
decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Loved every moggy I have ever adopted.

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"
hiawog
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my vote goes to the shelter cat.
RGiskard
I can see forever

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bengals are said to be very active and into climbing everywhere. Might not be a good thing if they're left unattended for long. They look great, though! I'd get one if I had the time and was set into getting a breed cat.

However, I'll add my voice to the "get a cat from a shelter" crowd. In my experience, those cats bond more easily. Also, you get to let a cat chose you.
DrOctave
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have always got cats from the aspca they make great pets.
Kaput
merry prankster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="drip.feed"]
Kaput wrote:
That said, our little moggie is very stand-offish. She only wants attention for a few minutes a day, and absolutely on her terms. Ungrateful little shit.

It's a cat thing.

A cat who used to be part of our family had his own motto: "I love you all... when it suits me".

hihi

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

get a cat (brother and sister kittens) from SPCA or craigslist, NOT a breed!!! Regular cats are the perfect companions for humons, those breeds require very special attention and normal kitties are just super friendly!!

thumbs up

--Kendall Station
baboo
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got my kitty from a shelter, he also misses one leg, poor little guy.
I couldn't be happier, he's friendly, tidy, doesn't damage stuff, likes synths ans sleeps with me in bed Forumcat #2 Forumcat #1 Forumcat #1
Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaput wrote:

Forumcat #2

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a little surprised to see so much anti-boutique-cat-sentiment in the boutique-synthesizer forum...

What about all those poor VA's?! Lol.

I have a marble Bengal.

Hector is VERY vocal. He talks if you're talking. He talks if I'm on the phone. He chatters while eating, which actually sounds like words. He likes go be let out into the hall (good reverb) and bark, meow and yell. I imagine he thinks he's singing because he comes back in acting all proud.

He's super protective of me, territorial and generally a jerk to any guests. He likes to intimidate older women, which I find particularly humorous.

He likes to play a lot and be paid attention to. They act out if they're not engaged, at least he does, though he sleeps for at least 18 hours a day. They do play fetch and can jump pretty damn high.

He's picky about his food and water. Generally only drinks out of the faucet or my glass of water. He's no interest in human food whatsoever, only eats dry food, not interested in canned food either. Pretty low maintenance in that respect.

Since we've moved into our current apartment we now have to share a bathroom. Literally. He likes to go when I go. It's pretty weird but whatever. If I close the door he tries to get in and yells until I come out. With Bengals it's all about picking your battles.

He's smashed a few keyboards and leapt off my monitors a few times. He's 7 now and a bit over 20lbs. Big dude.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Context:

As you can see, he's quite good at sleeping.

I'd say get a Bengal.

4utonomy
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Update, went to buy a russian blue today but the seller decided she wanted to keep it!

Next stop SHELTER. Thanks for the advice guys. Love all the cats.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Location: Tweed Manor, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just me wrote:
I take in the cat that adopts me, usually. Never a 'breed'.

This is very good advice.

Both our cats "chose" my wife and me, in that they immediately formed a bond upon meeting us.

Our first one (white and black harlequin pattern) literally came up to my wife and started nuzzling her thigh when she was in a crouch at the shelter trying to get another cat to come out of hiding.

Our other one (a grey tabby) one decided she would go to sleep in my hand (it was about six weeks old) within 30 seconds of meeting me. It thereafter refused to budge.

Ultimately I find that a cat who wants to be with you (regardless of breed) is going to be a better companion than any other.
chinard
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My current cat is a Maine-Coon.
awesome breed, super friendly, and really goofy personality.
Instant bond with that kitty when i went to the breeder.
tons of shedding tho. enough to knit a new cat every week.

and a big +1 to checking your local shelter first.
those cats need love too
StepLogik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

chinard wrote:
My current cat is a Maine-Coon.
awesome breed, super friendly, and really goofy personality.
Instant bond with that kitty when i went to the breeder.
tons of shedding tho. enough to knit a new cat every week.

The last cats I had were MC's. Great pets and a lot of fun to play with. We had two and they were incredible hunters - always an offering on the back porch (bird, frog, rabbit, etc) if we left them out at night. Despite their hunting skill, they were very friendly and would sit in your lap throughout a movie or tv show without being a nuisance.
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Always, always, always go shelter!

Seriously, there is a huge population of needy cats there that are adorable, loveable and totally awesome. Personally, I think breeding should be illegal, but that's me.

All that said, I always lean toward (shelter) short haired tabbies.

TABBIES RULE! we're not worthy

Short hair for us is way better. My wife's actually alergic and had way more trouble with one long haired (part Persian) cat than she's had with 2 short haired (well, 3, but we've only had 2 at a time).

We generally go to see a cat whose picture is on the animal shelter's web site......and then end up adopting one with a totally different one based on personal interaction. If you're buying "a breed", then you really run the risk of getting a cat based on basically fashion, not personality. You can tell in a matter of minutes whether you're going to bond with a cat and you should never take one just on looks. That's asking for trouble for you and the cat. sad banana

Glad you're going to the shelter! I'm sure you'll find a very good friend and companion there. Rockin' Banana!

infradead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

we've always gone to the shelter and looked for the cat that seemed to pick up.

oh and a stupid kitten. he pooped then stepped in it. the put his paw up to his nose and got shit on his nose made a disgusted face and tried to clean it up. of course it helped that they had a virus going around the shelter that had killed his littermates and was going to force them to put the rest of the cats down the next day and bleach everything the cats had touched.

luckily he was fine and we've had him ever since....
he never did get any smarter though confused

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo and much neglected blog
Orbless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have two tabbies and they are super sweet. I am all for the rescue cat. But if I could choose any breed I would want to get s Scottish Fold, I can't help it, they are just so damn cute

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orbless/142965699062506
http://www.facebook.com/pages/GAZE/372941987027
Babaluma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have an american shorthair and a ragdoll, both nearly ten years old. the american shorthair tries to escape all the time, and pukes frequently. the ragdoll has incontinence problems and pisses herself regularly. i wouldn't recommend either. next time i'm going for one of these:

science
Spending Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bengals can be a lot to keep up with... but they're awesome if you can deal with it.
Gribs
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We have had cats from shelters that were totally awesome and others that were very destructive despite being incredibly sweet and despite us bending over backwards to try everything to make them happy (including, if you can believe it, giving kitty prozac from our vet).

Wife decided to try a breed for the latest cat and ended up choosing a Ragdoll kitten from a breeder in Wisconsin who only lives about 30 minutes away. We have had the thing for about five weeks now, making it 15 weeks old, and it is a very sweet, affectionate, and calm (when not in play mode) cat. Our older shelter cat, who is one of the gems we have found, is also very calm and sweet with our little kids and her new playmate.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another vote for the shelter cat. Go to the shelter and wait until a cat chooses you - that'll be the one.
goiks
Hardest Tryer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

+1 on shelter cats. but...if there's an abyssinian there, bring them home with you! the shelter cats we have now are super cool lovers, but the half-abyssinians i got to live with for a few years were the coolest little freaks. also, consider bringing home siblings. i've done that twice, and have no regrets.

"There is no right answer. Just compromises." -Dave Jones
Gribs
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
we have an american shorthair and a ragdoll, both nearly ten years old. the american shorthair tries to escape all the time, and pukes frequently. the ragdoll has incontinence problems and pisses herself regularly. i wouldn't recommend either.

Your sample space for each breed has only one element. That is not sufficient to make an argument for or against any particular breed.

Cats puke, and some puke more than others. There are dietary, medical, and feeding schedule treatments for that. Also I think that some cats, especially the more submissive cat in a multi-cat environment, will become "gulpers". This means that when they get a turn at the food bowl, they gulp as much as possible. Then they get sick to their stomach and barf up a mass of mostly undigested food. I have not read about incontinence being a verified genetic problem with ragdolls. I have to research this since wife wants to get a second kitten before our first is too old.

amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Kaput wrote:

Forumcat #2

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Off-Topic - NSFW All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: