MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Is it OK if I perform with my modular live?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Is it OK if I perform with my modular live?
Eis-T
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is what happens when you use samples instead of the real thing:

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AntManBee wrote:
andrewF wrote:
as soon as I see a laptop on stage, i think 'lame'

What about Kraftwerk?!

I used to use backing tapes onstage in the early 1980s (it's tough being a one-man-band) and it pissed a lot of people off, but so did Human League & Depeche Mode (although DM kept their 8 track hidden backstage) and it didn't do them any harm.

Perceptions will always differ but if you're using a tool creatively in a live performance I can't see that it matters if it's an analogue modular or a laptop - you just need to decide what will work best for you in the given situation.

VNV Nation is another, and they throw one hell of a good show, and they aren't afraid to show the couple of Macbooks on the stage...
KindredSpirit
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Use everything. I still think it is magical seeing a modular on stage especially one that is lit well to go with the music. OK I could go with the obvious Emerson, Tangerine Dream, Roger Powell etc.

Funniest thing is (apart from ELP themselves) the biggest cheer from the crowd over the weekend at High Voltage Festival happened when the modular Moog was wheeled on stage and uncovered. Not bad for a piece of equipment 50 years old!
gwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AntManBee wrote:
andrewF wrote:

What about Kraftwerk?!

I used to use backing tapes onstage in the early 1980s (it's tough being a one-man-band) and it pissed a lot of people off, but so did Human League & Depeche Mode (although DM kept their 8 track hidden backstage) and it didn't do them any harm.

Perceptions will always differ but if you're using a tool creatively in a live performance I can't see that it matters if it's an analogue modular or a laptop - you just need to decide what will work best for you in the given situation.

The key is performance-Kraftwerk have the videos and lightshow (and robots), DM had Dave Gahan, HL had Phil and the girls and even Howard Jones had his mime(!)-problem is when the sole visual focus is a guy or guys who could be reading emails for all the audience is aware.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AntManBee wrote:
andrewF wrote:

What about Kraftwerk?!

Kraftwerk used to bring gear. When Computerworld was the current disk their live act looked like the album cover. A good bit of that chunky sixties era NASA style console was filler but they were clearly playing stuff even if it was just riding filter over canned sequences. In more recent performance videos I don't get the sense that one night's show would be any different than another. Their presence seem superfluous. I'm curious to hear what the MOMA shows are like.
darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a laptop gig is fine if there is a performance aspect, like using controllers and some kind of visuals, but if its just some dude switching scenes in abletron with a mouse/trackpad then thats faking it IMHO and more akin to a DJ set, only not as interesting or flexible.

I'm fairly sure though that there are cutting edge laptop performers out there doing stuff in realtime and having a blast in the process.

http://twitter.com/daren_ager
My Monotribe ModsBlog
"If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still, be like a mirror. Respond like an echo." - Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: