MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Arranging songs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Arranging songs
syntax_tn
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Arranging songs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi.

I'm in the process of writing a virtual modular and while tinkering with the step sequencer modules, I was wondering, how do real wigglers go about when arranging songs (or longer phrases)? Do you use pattern sequencers capable of arranging, do you record and arrange later in a DAW, do you switch and/or attenuate everything manually at the right point, do you utilize sequential switches or just go for algorithmic noodles without much manual interventions?

Just curious, because I sometimes hear one-take recordings which seem to have an intricate song structure going on.
Ockeghem
missa propecia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The more step sequencing modules you have, the more you can do in a single take. Once everything is all set up!
The other way is to record stuff in the DAW one phrase at a time and concentrate more on patching the sounds than triggering them.

This is certainly a renaissance with bells and whistles on in the modular world. More MU is good for you, that's my motto...
TTFN,
Ben
Clockgate
At paranoia's poison door

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I record it all in one take using multiple sequencers running at different rates, sequential switches, clock dividers and voltage controlled switches. Getting it all in sync can take quite a while and once it's running, there is no stopping it for the duration.
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do this...

"do you record and arrange later in a DAW, "

tec
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You may find the MIDI protocol is most suited for arrangement of your songs, particularly as you use virtual synthesizers.
darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clockgate wrote:
I record it all in one take using multiple sequencers running at different rates, sequential switches, clock dividers and voltage controlled switches. Getting it all in sync can take quite a while and once it's running, there is no stopping it for the duration.

^ This, by far the most fun.

http://twitter.com/daren_ager
My Monotribe ModsBlog
"If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, be like water. Still, be like a mirror. Respond like an echo." - Bruce Lee
hageir
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The dream is off course having an interface with so many inputs you could just record EVERYTHING seperately…

But so far I'm pretty good at mixing and I like the old-school way of recording a stereo mix into the computer and performing the song perfectly.

Reminds me of the early 20s, 30s and 40s when the African-American artists only got ONE take in a studio, with maybe a 12 man band and ONE microphone, CUTTING IT STRAIGHT TO VINYL.

That shit must've been REAL HARD Rockin' Banana!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: