MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
opinions of angled/flat case layout - how do you prefer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author opinions of angled/flat case layout - how do you prefer?
Gbeam
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: opinions of angled/flat case layout - how do you prefer? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm trying to design a portable case. I have always had my modules flat or upright, I'd like to have the bottom row at an angle, then a less of a degree going up to a 90 degrees.

I realize large knob and busy patching areas will also be deciding point.

just curious on your preferences
Jason Brock
just visiting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose an angled desktop style when I built my own case. I really like the ergonomics of it, but I wish I had been patient enough to design/build something with a lid. Monorocket's Base90 looks really cool.

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i chose a 9u with a slope from horizontal to nearly vertical. i do not regret the decision.

and i don't even have any touchplate controllers yet!

vav
Beer Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm happy with my sloped for my main case...perfect ergonomics for interactive (joysticks, etc) and patchability.

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ummm......where's the poll?

https://www.facebook.com/GlennKingsleyMortimerComposer

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer
Gbeam
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanks, I am unsure if I want my first row to be flat, I don't have any joysticks or PP's yet.

yes this would be an interesting poll
Microscopial
"stripes!!!" what me mmmm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jason Brock wrote:
I chose an angled desktop style when I built my own case. I really like the ergonomics of it, but I wish I had been patient enough to design/build something with a lid. Monorocket's Base90 looks really cool.

http://www.reliablehardware.com/latches.aspx

if you pick the right one you could still add a lid and use 2 latch locks on either side, maybe

email/ [email protected]
flickr/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/59671775@N03/
twitter/ lamonddesign http://twitter.com/#!/
facebook/ ross lamond http://www.facebook.com/ross.lamond1 or follow the lamonddesign page
website/ www.lamonddesign.co.uk
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My first build is below, slightly more angle on the bottom row then the top two rows. It is now for sale as I have already grown out of it due to the 12 new modules coming to me in the mail!

My next build will be like the Synthi case. 12U. Bottom 6U slanted towards horizontal and top 6U slanted towards vertical.

Last edited by Drumdrumdrumdrum on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
richard
bananaphile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a good acoustic guitar stand will make any rack slanted. Something I wish I'd figured out a few years ago.
abstractjuz
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jason Brock wrote:
I chose an angled desktop style when I built my own case.

I like this layout. Trying to convince myself I have enough room to do something like this with my Mackie 1604 in the middle and 12U / 84HP of modules either side.

hyper

Lockheed
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

richard wrote:
a good acoustic guitar stand will make any rack slanted. Something I wish I'd figured out a few years ago.

So true. My strat stand is permanently assigned to this duty. Just the right angle but a bit shaky. Acoustic stand with longer prongs would be better, thanks for the tip!
Jason Brock
just visiting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Microscopial wrote:
http://www.reliablehardware.com/latches.aspx

if you pick the right one you could still add a lid and use 2 latch locks on either side, maybe

True, good point. My rails are recessed from the front face though, so I'd have to do some fancy woodworking to get a completely closed fit.
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went the route of buying an inexpensive Mixer case and some angle aluminum and mounted rails on it to make this:

The 10U case was only $100. I should have went the extra cost to $110 for the 12U version though.
You can stand them on end with a little front support. This is provided on the 10U version by a 2U panel mounted in the bottom 1U opening. Then you get the "Arp 2600" style slanted case:

James Husted • Synthwerks, LLC • www.synthwerks.com[email protected][email protected]

Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

"It takes about a week to learn how to play a synthesizer, but several years to learn how *not* to play it." - Brian Eno

Looking to trade Euro, etc. for OP-1
j9k
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like angles

#muffwiggler irc.mibbit.net
Rymf
My hovercraft…is full of eels

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ersatzplanet wrote:

I'm sorry, iPhone dock module what?
BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My Euro setup will soon be comprised of 3 Monorocket cases, functioning as a single unit; a Gemini (slanted), a Base90 (slanted + flat), and a skiff (flat).

Should cover most of the bases!
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rymf wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:

I'm sorry, iPhone dock module what?

I always get questions about that one. Basically I use a old iPhone with a bunch of music apps on it. I have some Loopers and abstract sound generators and some background ambient music tracks on it and modify them on my rig. I made a module for it. Basically it is a panel with a hole in it that a iPhone dock sticks through and its line output is wired to some jacks. I intend to make some pre-amps on it soon and maybe a envelope follower or just merge it with parts of a Doepfer A-119 module (I use 2 with it now). The dock is powered by a iPhone car adaptor with its end cut off and wired to the power bus. Easy to make.
And before someone asks, if I made one to sell, it would have all the extra electronics but you would have to supply the dock. Apple wants too much royalties and other hassles to make the dock part. And to remote control the iPhone means special proprietary chips from Apple too so I wouldn't be going there either. Good use for those older modlels when you retire them. That one is a G1 iPhone for instance.

James Husted • Synthwerks, LLC • www.synthwerks.com[email protected][email protected]

Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

"It takes about a week to learn how to play a synthesizer, but several years to learn how *not* to play it." - Brian Eno

Looking to trade Euro, etc. for OP-1
transistor logic
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DonaldCrunk wrote:
i chose a 9u with a slope from horizontal to nearly vertical. i do not regret the decision.

and i don't even have any touchplate controllers yet!

i got an aluminium case with almost the same shape as yours but the top row is completely vertical . it looks really badass but i feel that the angle makes the middle row very cluttered in wires and not easily accessible when fully patched .
i never had a straight case . i figure that two 6u straight cases would be awesome to carry around .

i also really like most of the 6u angled desktop designs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: