MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
New Serge style ASR and VCS for Euro!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author New Serge style ASR and VCS for Euro!
Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Monobass wrote:
I'm thinking about the DIY VCS and fitting multiple boards in a smaller but still generous space...

We do seem to be having similar ideas recently, Steve!
Monobass
thonk.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isaiah wrote:
Monobass wrote:
I'm thinking about the DIY VCS and fitting multiple boards in a smaller but still generous space...

We do seem to be having similar ideas recently, Steve!

Guinness ftw!

pulse_divider
triangletooth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nuuj wrote:
Is anyone even reading the description of the Elby ASR?
It says it's a different design with no droop. My guess is that it's digital s/h under analog control.
'

Where does it say this?
I'm looking at the site right now and here's the full description:
Quote:
The CGS734 is an analog control voltage shift register, three stages in length. It duplicates the functionality of the Serge ASR, but goes about it in a very different way. It is great for producing "arabesque-like" sequences, trills etc., when used with VCOs. Of course it's use is not limited to VCOs only.
Unlike ASRs produced using "bucket brigade" techniques, the CV outputs are constant from the beginning of the cycle to the end - there is no "charge period" in which a brief glide is heard.

I checked my frac ASR and it's CGS 34... perhaps Elby is using a different board? I'm not too up on my CGS so perhaps they make multiple ASRs.

I hope it works well, I love shift registers and use my Quantimator in this mode pretty exclusively. Like I said earlier, though, the CGS one I have is not really usable for pitch. I guess it's possible that it has a technical problem, but it seems to be functioning (despite being sloppy on pitch) as intended and there don't appear to be any trimpots to calibrate.
widgetoz
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

gwaidan wrote:
Bananlogue VCS and WVX are both listed as "preorder" at BCM...

Nice to see these two coming as Euro kits-Euro VCS is a pretty easy build with Ken's board set and I think Laurie will only improve on that if he redesigns the board (as he usually does).

If the ASR uses CA3140 opamps then it should have decent hold times.

Edit: Hope the VCS uses the level-shifted/inverted circuit from the 6" version of the board to get the AC Out rather than just putting it through a capacitor like the Bananlogue version

The CGS775 VCS actually uses Ken's own euro boards. It is part of the arrangement with Ken that this module uses that pcb and I am just supplying the front panel to complete the design. So the Panther CGS775 has the identical virtues of the CGS75 part.
ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good job on these Laurie, looks like I'm going to have to start saving for another Elby order!

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: And the new shop design was a pleasant surprise... thumbs up

Last edited by ringstone on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

pulse_divider wrote:
the CGS one I have is not really usable for pitch. I guess it's possible that it has a technical problem, but it seems to be functioning (despite being sloppy on pitch) as intended and there don't appear to be any trimpots to calibrate.

Did you build it yourself? Capacitor choice seems to be very important.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So how deep will this VCS be then?

hyper
kits!
Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Unlike ASRs produced using "bucket brigade" techniques, the CV outputs are constant from the beginning of the cycle to the end - there is no "charge period" in which a brief glide is heard. "

Am I the only one who interprets this as no droop?

https://rnuuja.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-koktoepuss-phd
https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"
pulse_divider
triangletooth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Veqtor wrote:
pulse_divider wrote:
the CGS one I have is not really usable for pitch. I guess it's possible that it has a technical problem, but it seems to be functioning (despite being sloppy on pitch) as intended and there don't appear to be any trimpots to calibrate.

Nope, it's a Metalbox build... Top notch quality.
I just google searched and found I'm not alone:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-327227.html
gwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

clarke68 wrote:
Mildly off-topic, but releated...is this a new module as well:

...? I don't recall seeing it before...obviously I need to start paying more attention to Elby.

That one (and the Octave/Volts/Hertz) has been kicking around on Laurie's site as coming soon since about 2008. smile

pulse_divider wrote:
Veqtor wrote:
pulse_divider wrote:

Nope, it's a Metalbox build... Top notch quality.
I just google searched and found I'm not alone:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-327227.html

That thread seems to offer a solution-it's variable offsets in the hold amplifiers. Maybe National LF411As would be a good solution to that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: