MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

presonus studio one
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author presonus studio one
os
Do you have a sidechain input on other *instruments*?
phutureboy
no on other effects (vst)
os
Well there you go.
phutureboy
FWIW I still didn't receive any reply to my request to Presonus...
phutureboy
os wrote:
Well there you go.

I mean, why not implement the sidechain feature on the VC effect since Studio One exposes it ?
And how do you suggest that I use the effect version to create the calibration if sidechain is not available ?
os
The effect version doesn't need a sidechain - it has an input. That's where the audio input goes for calibration.
jbdiver
I'm pretty sure there's a way to bring the audio back into the VC instrument. I dont recall ever using the effect. I need to sit down with presonus and play with the calibration again to recall exactly how I set this up.
phutureboy
It would be great. Looking forward to hear back from you...
jbdiver
Okay, I spent several hours with studio one and the es-3 today. I'm using the first ADAT port on my RME HDSP interface card to connect to the es-3. Note to anyone using an RME card: be very careful when configuring the totalmix settings. These internal mixer settings can make troubleshooting the es-3 a nightmare. It took me three hours to figure out that I was inadvertently sending channel 3&4 on the ADAT port to channel 1&2. Yikes.

Anyway, most of what I said before in this thread is BS. Sorry. I just haven't used the es-3 in the past 6 months, and I was confused when looking at my old songs. Here's the deal.

Basically, I had to use the voice controller as an _effect_ when calibrating my synths. I am able to use the voice controller as an instrument once I can load the calibration profiles.

The problem with trying to calibrate using the VC instrument is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the incoming audio from my synth back to the virtual instrument. Either the VC instrument doesn't expose a sidechain sort of input or Presonus Studio One doesn't recognize what sort of input the VC instrument is exposing. My understanding is that if a sidechain input were available, I would be able to configure a send to that sidechain input In Studio One. So, the VC instrument works fine as an output-only device on Presonus, but it cannot be used for calibration.

You can use the voice controller effect to calibrate your synth because the effect can output calibration voltages AND it can also receive audio input (like any other effect). The only downside that I remember is that Presonus Studio One doesn't support anything other than mono or stereo individual tracks. You can't create something like a 5.1 track. So when you assign the VC effect to a track, you can only use the first two outputs from the VC effect -- unlike the VC instrument which creates its own virtual output interfaces. Now, as long as you can calibrate your external synth with a pitch-cv and gate signal you should be okay. You only need to patch into port 1 and port 2 on the es-3 to do the calibration.

Does this all make sense? I really should put together some quick videos explaining how to setup these configurations. The steps I outlined earlier in this thread are too complicated. I figured out an easier way to set this up.

OS, I wasn't able to load the VC 2.0 instrument in Presonus Studio One 2.x until the most recent Presonus update. Perhaps there is some other bug in Presonus which is not allowing users to see the sidechain input on the VC instrument. I think that exposing this sidechain input would certainly make the calibration process easier.
jbdiver
I just created two new videos explaining how to use the SW voice controller plug-in on Presonus Studio One. I recommend playing these videos at 720p resolution so that you can see all the screen details.

The first video explains how to calibrate the voice controller using the effect plug-in:

The second video explains how to using the voice controller instrument to play your analog synth:

I hope these videos help you understand how to configure your software. Let me know if you have any questions.
punkdISCO
jbdiver wrote:
The problem with trying to calibrate using the VC instrument is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the incoming audio from my synth back to the virtual instrument. Either the VC instrument doesn't expose a sidechain sort of input or Presonus Studio One doesn't recognize what sort of input the VC instrument is exposing. My understanding is that if a sidechain input were available, I would be able to configure a send to that sidechain input In Studio One. So, the VC instrument works fine as an output-only device on Presonus, but it cannot be used for calibration.

Hi – Im sure you are doing everything correctly but, I had a bit of headscratching trying to work out why I could not see VC as a source option for my incoming audio track (for calibration). Anyway, I eventually worked out my mistake. VC has 2 flavours, an effect or a plugin. In Ableton Live, as a plugin you have MIDI In, Audio out so this is not available as a audio source for calibration. However, as an Effect, you have Audio In / Audio Out so this does appear as a source option.

Good luck..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
os
@jbdiver - thanks so much for making those videos! Really doing my job for me there. Awesome work.

Quote:
Perhaps there is some other bug in Presonus which is not allowing users to see the sidechain input on the VC instrument.

This seems to be a fundamental design limitation of Studio One - Instruments do not receive audio. Unless you can show me one that does...
phutureboy
@jbdiver : Thanks a lot for the great videos ! It's working for me now, although sometimes it seems the output of the SW VC goes to sleep so I have to close Studio One and open it again and all is back to normal...
So when you are in the process of trial and error to understand how to set up things you never know what to blame for the absence of signal...

@os : any chance you could fix that in the near future ?
os
Fix what exactly?
phutureboy
os wrote:
Fix what exactly?

Well for some reason sometimes the output of the plug-ins is dead. The plug-in shows activity but nothing shows in the audio interface's mixer. However at the moment I am not sure if it is due to an issue between SW and S1 or an issue with the dialog with the audio interface. So for the moment please forget what i said. If I can corner the issue I'll get back to you. Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2