MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM-995
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author MOTM-995
stevenclements
Hey folks... I have a MOTM-995 .COM to MOTM Adapter.

This very useful board allows you to either run a MOTM power supply and power some .COM modules or run a .COM power supply and power some MOTM modules (either or not both hihi ). I have a the QPS1 power supply and the Q137 Power Control & Interface Module

This is certainly a simple question for those of you that have them... what cable do I need to hook up the MOTM sytle modules... I'm guessing the PWR-20 4-conductor power cable?

I'm not completely certain where to hook up the power from the QPS1 harness (must be JP1 where it says power harness here). Looking at the PCB that then appears to power the entire board and I connect on to that the PWR-20 4-conductor power cables to power the MOTM stuff.

JP1-3 are all the same... 4 pin
JP4-8 are all the same and larger then JP1-3 also 4 pin
JP10-13 are all the same and 6 pin - MOTM power I believe.

.... SOoOOoOOoooo how do I hook this up? .COM PS to JP1 and PWR-20 4-conductor power cables from JP4-8 to my MOTM modules?

Seem spot on?

Any help would save me frying my gear Dead Banana

thanks
Steve
ach_gott
stevenclements wrote:

.... SOoOOoOOoooo how do I hook this up? .COM PS to JP1 and PWR-20 4-conductor power cables from JP4-8 to my MOTM modules?

Seem spot on?

Yep, you've got it.
consumed
stevenclements wrote:
This is certainly a simple question for those of you that have them... what cable to I need to hook up the MOTM sytle modules... I'm guessing the PWR-20 4-conductor power cable.

yes

Quote:
I'm not completely certain where to hook up the power from the QPS1 harness (must be JP1 where it says power harness here). Looking at the PCB that then appears to power the entire board and I connect on to that the PWR-20 4-conductor power cables to power the MOTM stuff.

JP1-3 are all the same... 4 pin
JP4-8 are all the same and larger then JP1-3 also 4 pin
JP10-13 are all the same and 6 pin - MOTM power I believe.

yes
stevenclements

Phew... Guinness ftw! <- Thanks consumed
stevenclements
Woah... $22 to ship those cables... it think I may have to make them.

appears to be 3.96mm (.156") Pitch... does anyone have a mouser reference number?

Steve
paults
Don't blame me for the cost of shipping: the postage is calculated directly from the USPS web server very frustrating

The AMP/Tyco MTA-156 connector used on the PWR-20/-30 cables needs a special tool to insert the wire into the insulation displacement "fittings". Also, you need to use 18ga stranded wire for a proper fit. There is no soldering needed.

These cable are made on pneumatic NC machines by a wire harness manufacturer. I have not had a field failure in 12 years.
stevenclements
paults wrote:
Don't blame me for the cost of shipping: the postage is calculated directly from the USPS web server very frustrating

The AMP/Tyco MTA-156 connector used on the PWR-20/-30 cables needs a special tool to insert the wire into the insulation displacement "fittings". Also, you need to use 18ga stranded wire for a proper fit. There is no soldering needed.

These cable are made on pneumatic NC machines by a wire harness manufacturer. I have not had a field failure in 12 years.

No blame intended at all Paul. I know how the shipping works. They have a base and work up from there... I get dinged all the time with it sad banana should have taken that job in San Diego smile

Thanks for the reference on the parts - you da man!

Steve
stevenclements
Looks like the right one... 22 Gage wire but none the less, should work.

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tyco-Electronics-AMP/3-640433-4/?qs =sGAEpiMZZMt7ScBeCnc0e5ofU%252bkJVF%252bh
consumed
for making my own power cables ive always been happy with the blacet supercablekit (with crimp)
stevenclements
consumed wrote:
for making my own power cables ive always been happy with the blacet supercablekit (with crimp)

That's brilliant! I need to order a Blacet 19" Rack Mount System... this will cut down on shipping + get a crimper - bob's yer uncle!

http://www.blacet.com/misc.html

Cheers consumed thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1