MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

reflections on my cv recorder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author reflections on my cv recorder
rezzn8r
I have had a 57B CV Recorder for about 3 months now and find it to be a very useful module. I especially like the way it lets me re-use other modules in a patch. For example, I can now use my Miniwave to quantize more than one voice by recording a quantized loop and then repatching. With the CV Recorder my single Miniwave can even quantize and distort in the same patch! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
I find that I'm still pretty inept with the controls though, especially when transitioning from Rehearse mode to Record mode. Any suggestions from other users? How often are you using the Trigger In and Reset when recording loops?

thx Guinness ftw!
thermionicjunky
rezzn8r wrote:

I find that I'm still pretty inept with the controls though, especially when transitioning from Rehearse mode to Record mode. Any suggestions from other users? How often are you using the Trigger In and Reset when recording loops?

thx Guinness ftw!

I tend not to use the trigger and reset while recording. I don't usually sample as I go. I painstakingly build samples. Practice will improve your grasp of rehearse and record. Just be deliberate and keep track of which part of the process you're on. Be very deliberate about pressing the record button so you're sure that you've entered record mode.
sandyb
yup - i've lost count of the number of times i thought i was recording only to realise i wasn't because i hadn't pressed the button in enough d'oh!
i never use the trigger in or reset when recording.
it's such an "open" module in many ways that it can seem a bit intimidating at first as there are so many possibilities. a little time and practice makes the interface fairly transparent though.

sandy
ignatius
kind of in the same boat. when i first got it a i spent a lot of time w/it and then zoned out and listened to a bunch of weirdness it was creating.

since then i've used it sparingly for extra modulation.

i'm still trying to figure out how it fits best into the system.

I just got a 17a sequencer so i think that is going to be it's next close friend.
rezzn8r
thanks guys, I realize practice is key.
@ thermionicjunky-thought you of all people would be using the trigger/reset because I thought you had 2 of these babies.
@ignatius-17a should be an ideal pairing.

I've been using it a lot paired with the 61 Quad LFO, layering staircase waves for sequences. At first I would record all 4 channels to the CV at the same time, but lately I've been trying to layer them one at a time, kinda like an overdub. Might be nice to rig up a pedal to control the Rec/Trig.
hmmm.....
thermionicjunky
rezzn8r wrote:

@ thermionicjunky-thought you of all people would be using the trigger/reset because I thought you had 2 of these babies.

I do have two. I use trigger and reset during playback, but I'm usually recording knob or joystick movements ... very slowly and incrementally. When using both, I'm either using them as one 8 channel recorder or just dumping samples from one to the other in order to use them as audio, envelopes, LFOs, etc., while using the same material as a sequence. I actually haven't recording anything for a long time, being too busy or in Germany or whatever. Now that I have a VCDO and a newly built Buchla 291 clone, I need to start recording again, so maybe I'll try some new things. However, I don't really see a reason to trigger or reset while recording. I know exactly what's happening when I control recording manually. Once I have the sample I want, I'll do absolutely anything to it. Sampling with the Digital Delay is another matter. That one is only fun if you screw with it while sampling.
pugix
I've wondered how to synchronize the timing of new events recorded on other tracks with existing events already recorded. It's hard to do manually. One trick I've used is to record a clock on channel 1 and the play that back to trigger a sample and hold or an envelope generator that I'm recording on another track. I need to practice more.

I've used the CV Recorder as a low-fi audio sampler. Here's a link.

http://pugix.com/synth/gong/
ignatius
pugix wrote:
I've wondered how to synchronize the timing of new events recorded on other tracks with existing events already recorded. It's hard to do manually. One trick I've used is to record a clock on channel 1 and the play that back to trigger a sample and hold or an envelope generator that I'm recording on another track. I need to practice more.

I've used the CV Recorder as a low-fi audio sampler. Here's a link.

http://pugix.com/synth/gong/

nice. quite ambient.
rezzn8r
yes, very nice, pugix. the reverse resonance of the bell sounded great.
I haven't tried recording sound with mine yet, only control voltages.

sandyb wrote:
it's such an "open" module in many ways that it can seem a bit intimidating at first as there are so many possibilities

yes, I will admit to being intimidated by this module at first, but the more time I spend with it, the better it gets!
rezzn8r
d'oh! I always understood that changing the duration compressed or expanded the playback, but I didn't realize it works as a realtime effect. SlayerBadger!
I guess I wasn't paying attention enough to catch what the cv recorder's duration was doing to my DC signals, but when I hooked up AC we're not worthy
Slight time-stretching is a much nicer distortion than anything I've been able to achieve with the Miniwave on an audio signal.
Also, frequency shifting the playback with altered duration settings is fascinating.
SlayerBadger!
Funky40
rezzn8r wrote:
but when I hooked up AC we're not worthy

SlayerBadger!

........i never came to the point to use the cV Recorder for CV.
audio mangling is too cool SlayerBadger!
MrDys
Yeah, I mostly use it for audio, very rarely for CV. One of my favorite things that I've ever done with it, happened the first night I got it: take a listen.

Getting 'perfect' samples (looping ones, especially) is kind of a tricky maneuver, but it's a lot easier if you have an ASR or sequencer that you can use to jump into the middle of the loops at predictable points.
rezzn8r
MrDys wrote:
Yeah, I mostly use it for audio, very rarely for CV. One of my favorite things that I've ever done with it, happened the first night I got it: take a listen.

Getting 'perfect' samples (looping ones, especially) is kind of a tricky maneuver, but it's a lot easier if you have an ASR or sequencer that you can use to jump into the middle of the loops at predictable points.

I'm planning on adding an ASR soon, so I'll have to try that technique. thanks.
sweet sounds! I was messing with the RateCV for duration modulation last night. very cool!
rezzn8r

Most of the action in the video is my hand freqin' on my 'steiner, but the heart of the patch is the cv recorder. channel one is sampled cv and channel 2 is sampled audio.
a better version of the audio here
doctorvague
rezzn8r wrote:

Most of the action in the video is my hand freqin' on my 'steiner, but the heart of the patch is the cv recorder. channel one is sampled cv and channel 2 is sampled audio.
a better version of the audio here

Great patch!
thumbs up
decaying.sine
MrDys wrote:

That is a great track. Love it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1