MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Just a quick M569 test
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Just a quick M569 test
JohnLRice
bwhittington
Nice, John! Looks like you've got everything back together and working swimmingly. Great visual effect in the end!

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
Very nice, as always.

And I dig the synth-on-acid effect running down the center. Nice contrast to the orderly presentation of the synth and patch cables.

You clearly have an aesthetic, my friend!
sunsinger
Lovely that you got all calibrated without having to part with it.

I'm still working on the poor man's solution "Numerology".
Can't afford the pretty, pretty toys yet. I am having the creator of Numerology later today and we'll film a demo.

Good to see you up and running again.
Rockin' Banana!
essex sound lab
sunsinger wrote:

I am having the creator of Numerology later today and we'll film a demo.

You're hardly slumming it! Jim has built (and continues to evolve!) a gorgeous piece of software.

I have two Q960's, a Q119, a bunch of Moon stuff and a Manikin Schrittmacher...and I STILL use Numerology!

Looking forward to the next set of demo videos. Did you work with him on the previous set?

Gordon
sunsinger
Yeah, Numerology will do some pretty amazing things, but that's for another thread I guess. It keeps getting more and more elegant.

I didn't do a demo for Jim yet, but I've been using it since 2004.
SynthBaron
Oooo, swirly.
haricots
When 'o when is Numerology going to reach the shitty PC? angry
sunsinger
I don't think Numerology is ever going to release for PC because Jim is a Mac developer and doesn't write code for PC. And he's doing it by himself.

I think it would be like rewriting the entire program from scratch in a language you don't know.

I understand that frustration myself, being a Mac guy and seeing a very large percentage of cool freeware, softsynths, and other audio apps written only for PC.
seriously, i just don't get it

I'll ask if he is planning to do the Mono Note sequencer in another format. I know that he is doing it as a AU plugin. It is the sequencer I use the most with my modular.
doctorvague
@Sunsinger - hey I'm jealous. I've been trying to get Jim down here for a visit for a couple of years now.

haricots wrote:
When 'o when is Numerology going to reach the shitty PC? angry

I totally understand, but as Sunsinger said, I don't think it's going to happen. I had a similar situation in reverse, being a Mac guy. I happen to be interested in Fractal Flame art. The best software for that is on PC. Also my oscilloscope will only talk to a PC and the schematic drawing software I like is PC only - you get the idea. Long story short, I had to set up a PC next to my Mac if I wanted to run those pgms. It wasn't so bad - I use Windows for our CD duplicating biz so it wasn't completely foreign. Then later I replaced the PC with a Mac Pro and set it up as triple boot - 2 different OSX versions and Windows XP. Works great. I know this elicits groans, but having both platforms available is definitely an advantage these days, and I'm glad I have them. Going from PC and adding a Mac would be easier than the other way around (I do speak from experience here). You wouldn't need much horsepower if you ran Numerology as mostly MIDI generating. Running VI's takes more horsepower, but not so much unless you're running a bunch of heavy CPU VI's. Something like a used G5 would work great. Even a G4 for MIDI only. Numerology is one of those programs that are really worth setting up a second computer for.

I use Numerology as the main melodic source in a couple of videos linked below, one with Volta. I guess that's preaching to the choir as I re-read your post- sounds like you don't need any convincing about Numerology!

Cheers
Phil

I just realized this a total thread highjack. Ooops.
Oh well, JLR can just clobber us with an emoticon or 2.
suitandtieguy
haricots wrote:
When 'o when is Numerology going to reach the shitty PC?

my guess would be "never", for a variety of reasons which includes problems with the Windows MIDI API and support costs, and the very language and UI API it's written in.

and IMHO there's nothing wrong with that. you can buy a mac good enough to run Numerology for less than a Mankato Filter.

sunsinger wrote:
I am having the creator of Numerology (over) later today ...

excellent!

sunsinger
Sorry John, a bit off your intent for this thread, I know, but I'll remedy that by starting a Numerology thread directly...

doctorvague wrote:

I just realized this a total thread highjack. Ooops.
Oh well, JLR can just clobber us with an emoticon or 2.

Just to bring this to a close, and to why Numerology got mentioned on John's M569 posting... I can't afford one of these beautiful toys with economics being... ect. etc.

I was very envious of John's almost immediate post release purchase of the M569 and accompanying modules. The M553 Midi to Clock, and the M564 Sequential Divider switch. waah

I found myself in a pre-Christmas haze, wondering if I could justify such a self gift. Answer, NOT! Oh well...

Then I remembered, Oh yeah, so THAT's why I bought that MOTM 650-4 Channel Midi to CV Converter. So I could use Numerology.

I need not explain any further just why Numerology sooo cool... Most of you out there who are familiar with it know what it will do...

Yes, I am talking about software on a distinctively hardware thread. And not to belittle the nobel M569 suite of sequencing components. (There IS an advantage to hardware), I still want one. waah

So John, please forgive me whilst I switch to a more appropriate thread.
Dead Banana
JohnLRice
Heh, no problems with the thread derailment! It happens. 8_)

Thanks to all who made related comments too! thumbs up
emdot_ambient
Back OT...Damn, videos sound SO much better on my studio speakers than my crappy little headphones at work! lol

Love the demo Guinness ftw!

Oh and it's people like you who have made this happen...I just put on an order to finally get a decent soldering station and all that DIY stuff. Also bid on a Fluke DMM on ebay. Once I build up a little more $, then it's Power Supply time. Then I can test my old stock of CEM chips and the circuit boards I put together over 15 years ago to tell if it's worth continuing to build the rest of them...would really help to get my hands on an oscilloscope.

...thus the saga begins! hihi

Gonna take a good while, but maybe one day you'll all hear some stuff from me. nanners
JohnLRice
emdot_ambient wrote:
Back OT...Damn, videos sound SO much better on my studio speakers than my crappy little headphones at work! lol

Love the demo Guinness ftw!

Oh and it's people like you who have made this happen...I just put on an order to finally get a decent soldering station and all that DIY stuff. Also bid on a Fluke DMM on ebay. Once I build up a little more $, then it's Power Supply time. Then I can test my old stock of CEM chips and the circuit boards I put together over 15 years ago to tell if it's worth continuing to build the rest of them...would really help to get my hands on an oscilloscope.

...thus the saga begins! hihi

Gonna take a good while, but maybe one day you'll all hear some stuff from me. nanners

Thanks for the kind words, emdot_ambient! oops I look forward to hearing some stuff from you some day. And decent analog scopes are very reasonable on Ebay. Paul from Synth Tech recently recommended a model to look for and I think they go for under $100. w00t

The audio on my demo sounds pretty weird, especially the opening ping ponger! Even when listening to it at HD resolution it sounds a little 'fuzzier' than it should. Below I'll attach an MP3 of it for everyone's listening pleasure FWIW. And, since it's a little incomplete, even borring maybe, I encourage others to take this and add some cool lead lines, percussive parts, noise, vocals, etc, etc! Free for you to use for your own fun, just give me due credit, and if you actually make some money with it, pay up bitches! hihi
emdot_ambient
JohnLRice wrote:
Paul from Synth Tech recently recommended a[n analog oscilloscope] model to look for and I think they go for under $100.

Remember what it was? I've never used a 'scope and have no clue what to look for. I really want one mainly for doing oscillator calibration and analyzing wave forms.
SynthBaron
emdot_ambient wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Paul from Synth Tech recently recommended a[n analog oscilloscope] model to look for and I think they go for under $100.

Remember what it was? I've never used a 'scope and have no clue what to look for. I really want one mainly for doing oscillator calibration and analyzing wave forms.

I'm gonna guess Tektronix 465 (or the 465b model).
doctorvague
I've got one real similar to this that works pretty well. You can store 4 screen shots and load them to PC (not Mac) via USB. AFAIK it's a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Tektronix.

http://www.tequipment.net/OWONEDU5022.html

For osc scaling I use a Korg rack tuner that works great. For tweaking osc waves and such (like getting a sine wave with lots of harmonics)* a scope is right tool.

*inside joke for the old-timers hihi
Reptil
nice! like the wajang puppet theatre effect on the end.
emdot_ambient
Reptil wrote:

I thought it was a chicken dance hihi Dead Banana

Nah, I liked that too. Meant to comment on it earlier.

I've seen wajang performed live BTW and it's nothing like that except the shadow part. It was the full gamelon orchestra from the Royal Court of Java performing at the Sackler Gallery behind the Smithsonian building in DC. Man, LIVE gamelon is FNUCKIN' AWESOME!
JohnLRice
emdot_ambient wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

It was in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9738
Tektronix 2215 Looks like average price range for ones that sell on Ebay without any stated problems is $75 to $150 plus shipping.
emdot_ambient
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for that one @ a good price.
JohnLRice
emdot_ambient wrote:
Reptil wrote:

I thought it was a chicken dance hihi Dead Banana

Nah, I liked that too. Meant to comment on it earlier.

Thanks guys. I think it's an actual person where the footage was shot or edited in a jumpy way. I paid $25 for it from Pond5. Here is the link and you can watch it as is:
http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/193450/jumpy-silhouette.html

There was a different clip I almost used of a masked wrestler dude doing a stupid crazy dance in a white room. It was kind of funny to watch with my sequence as the music:
http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/496526/disco-wrestling.html

And I considered this one too:
http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/358382/crazy-dance-on-top-of-the-mo untain-hd-1080.html

Yes, I often spend a lot more time on video editing and clip selection etc than I do on the synth patch! meh hihi

And YES, Gamelan RAWKS!!!! thumbs up screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
kindredlost
JohnLRice wrote:
Below I'll attach an MP3 of it for everyone's listening pleasure FWIW. And, since it's a little incomplete, even borring maybe, I encourage others to take this and add some cool lead lines, percussive parts, noise, vocals, etc, etc! Free for you to use for your own fun, just give me due credit, and if you actually make some money with it, pay up bitches! hihi

Maybe Martin Peters & you will try another? Mr. Green

I like the video and it sounds great John. Even up to your high standards. The gear looks great as usual. You have one of the best thought out systems I've ever seen. Nice module picks.

-David
kindredlost
JohnLRice wrote:

And YES, Gamelan RAWKS!!!! thumbs up screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!

Not to hijack the thread (again), but I did a piece awhile ago. It is not exactly Gamelan, but done on my modular with a scale tuning program called "Lil Miss Scale Oven" LMSO by X. J. Scott. See www.nonoctave.com

http://www.iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=74303&ArtistID=75075

Named "KlugKung" after the regency in Bali, Indonesia. This of course is an impressionist piece using the bell/gong timbre (sort of) and one of the various tunings of the local Gamelan. I need to do another more structured piece with memorable melodic content. It was a simple experiment but I liked it enough to keep it.

Be my guest to make a video with that. hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1