MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

suggestions for finishing my suitcase
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author suggestions for finishing my suitcase
chachi
i started on a suitcase of frac several years ago and only recently have come back to modular. putting this back together, i started buying euro stuff so at some point the second row of frac became euro and i ended up with this mixed system. in the non-active years, i sold almost all of the modular i had except for the joyrider filter, so when i came back to this suitcase, i didn't really have a concept for it except that it had to involve that filter. then it dawned on me that i had always wanted a music easel but could never afford one, so this box became a rough attempt at making my own easel.

i'm happy with the euro, and i am still building the wogglebug, but i have a 2u hole i can't decide on the solution for. please note that the custom DSC pictured is serving as a placeholder for a 3u multi-module i have that includes an MOTM 800 ADSR, an oakley little lfo and a PT2399 delay.

any ideas?

monstrinho
A couple things spring to mind;

-Thomas White LPG

-an attenuverting mixer of some sort; you have a lot of functionality there, but you have no mixer. I'd have trouble working without one.
chachi
interesting, i have a blacet 2200 in there now and had discounted its use as i felt like with just the two (basically one cross modulated) oscillators it was overkill with the two channels on the uJack. but now that i'm mixing the wet and dry from the delay, and with the whatever comes out of the wogglebug, i can see a mixer being really useful.

what's your thinking on the LPG?
rezzn8r
+1 for the mixer suggestion. That would be my next move.
Can you access the Borgs in the Joyrider to use as LPGs?
rezzn8r
chachi wrote:

what's your thinking on the LPG?

I would imagine the LPG suggestion is to help achieve the easel functionality you are after. Many people consider LPGs to be a big part of the Buchla sound.
chachi
yeah, you can basically just use the joyrider as a filter, so all that other lpg functionality is locked up. it's a full wiard 300 series borg pcb so with a little work a lot of that could come back, but then i'd have to make space for the breakout panel. that would be well worth the 2u if i could also get the oscillators onboard the borg populated but so far the intellectual property needed for this has not been forthcoming.

back to the mixer, i wonder if something exists in 4u of euro that could get me a couple more ins. but that is a question for another forum... twisted
Cat-A-Tonic
single Malekko Borgs have 2 inputs mixed per unit.
Not sure about the 300 series boards...

Thomas White LPGs have mixers on the PCB that you can build as you like.

Both of these options would be more for pre-filter audio mixing.

You might still consider something for CV mixing as well.
A Fonik Attenuverting Mixer or something similar would be of great utility in this situation.

The Blacet Mixer/Processor can fit in a single Frac space if you make your own panel for it.
e-grad
Pls note that I'm familiar with most of the euro moduels pictured above. However, the smaller a system is the more important are multiples and a (attenuverting) mixer.
monstrinho
chachi wrote:
yeah, you can basically just use the joyrider as a filter, so all that other lpg functionality is locked up. it's a full wiard 300 series borg pcb so with a little work a lot of that could come back, but then i'd have to make space for the breakout panel. that would be well worth the 2u if i could also get the oscillators onboard the borg populated but so far the intellectual property needed for this has not been forthcoming.

back to the mixer, i wonder if something exists in 4u of euro that could get me a couple more ins. but that is a question for another forum... twisted

Manhattan Mix. It's DC coupled, so you can mix CV as well as audio. It doesn't do inversion, but as a small mixer, it's about as good as it gets. If you wanted something in frac, Paia has a couple of good (and very cheap) options:

http://paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9744K

http://paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9745K

Regarding the LPG, as rezzn8r said, the suggestion was to round out the "Buchla Easel" idea you're going for. Also, the TW LPG is a different kind of beast than the Borgs. In addition, if you add the "deep" switch, it allows you to filter CV, which could be very fun in a feedback patch combined with the A-156. The Wogglebug is also great for triggering an LPG, so looking at what you already have, it seemed like a logical addition.
chachi
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
A Fonik Attenuverting Mixer or something similar would be of great utility in this situation.

quite right! i found an MH01 here locally and have been loving it. i just have it sitting in the empty wogglebug space for now but it is, as many have said, very useful. very easy to frac, too. i must admit i haven't given the blacet mentioned a good look, but the MH01 made me think i might really like this "maths" everybody is talking about. razz

the euro, incoporating these suggestions and a desire for a more featured quantizer, is looking more like this. gonna miss that 156 trigger out though. i'm going to explore breaking out the joyrider, i think if that's the heart of this thing then it does it a disservice not to access its lpg core.

spacemod
I see you like the picture of my custom built 3 space Dark Star Chaos module.

Nick Liebrecht built 2 of these for me while working for Grant @ Wiard around 10 years ago.

This is how I set up one of the racks:

Thing One
chachi
yeah, that is a sweeeet rack. anytime you want to dump that 1200 noisering, just pm me, i will find the money.
spacemod
chachi wrote:
yeah, that is a sweeeet rack. anytime you want to dump that 1200 noisering, just pm me, i will find the money.

Sorry, but I don't think it is going anywhere soon. I have been lucky to make music with Grant and his modules carry a lot of nostalgia for me that I couldn't replace in a Eurorack.
chachi
i figured as much. i have a similar feeling about grant even though i've only talked to him on the phone.
arrmcbain
You mentioned a maths, why not build a serge/cgs DUSG in frac? I think you can split the PCB to make the build shallower.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1