MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap source of BBD
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cheap source of BBD
Jackdamery
I found a couple of old guitar pedals (chorus and flanger) in my parents house over christmas. I inspected inside and found they both contain a MN3102 clock driver and MN3009 BBD, as well as some contemporary opamps/transistors.

I had a look on ebay and you can find old 80s no-name guitar pedals for peanuts. Could be a cool source for genuine BBD.
drip.feed
I've been searching for MN3009's for a while to repair my Juno chorus. The ones I got off eBay were all fakes. There are synth repair sites that occasionally sell them NOS but they cost like £20-30 each. The problem with MN3009's is they wear out (I shit you not) so there isn't much point re-using old ones.
EATyourGUITAR
just use cool audio clones. I don't know any other option for good new parts.
drip.feed
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
just use cool audio clones. I don't know any other option for good new parts.

What's cool audio clones? Is there a clone of the MN3009??
diablojoy
the cool audio clones are all low voltage types so not direct replacements
for the originals.
edit : available are cool audio V3205, V3207 and V3208
max supply is 10v except for the 3205 which is less at 8v
no 3209 version.
Jackdamery
Actually I lied, the pedals have the low voltage 3209, not the 3009 :(
scriptstyle
cool audio clones looks very cool! Has a few things i need to finish some long coming projects... then i read "We cannot process shipments below 2,000 USD.
Please make all inquiries through email."

Is there a way to buy single pieces? I want a few things but that much...
ucacjbs
In the US, Small Bear has them:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/

(use their search engine for 'CoolAudio' and the results will include the delays)

I think that Mammoth (also US-based) has them too.
diablojoy
Quote:

huh weird cool audio themselves did not list a V3209 on their site
are you sure that last digit isn't a 7 ?
Jackdamery
diablojoy wrote:
Quote:

huh weird cool audio themselves did not list a V3209 on their site
are you sure that last digit isn't a 7 ?

nooo these are 80s guitar pedals so original 3209s
diablojoy
ahh MN3209
national's low voltage BBD's
OK fair enough.
Its a great pity cool audio did not clone the 15v versions as well
sonicwarrior
diablojoy wrote:
Its a great pity cool audio did not clone the 15v versions as well

They just cloned them for the Behringer guitar pedals (Cool Audio is a Behringer company).
cabintech
ucacjbs wrote:
In the US, Small Bear has them:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/

(use their search engine for 'CoolAudio' and the results will include the delays)

I think that Mammoth (also US-based) has them too.

FYI, we now carry the full line of Coolaudio chips (V3205, V3207, V3208 and the V3102 clock) with no minimum order and lower prices than Small Bear or Mammoth:

http://cabintechglobal.com

--Mark
Starspawn
Most excellent Mark, ordered enough 2164s for a while, will definetly order more of the other stuff later.
smcumber
Mark - intrigued by your website. It looks like the V2181L is quite similar to the THAT 2180?
Sandrine
The old BBD chips, wow! Those were in CB echo mics 20 years ago.

I use Princeton Tech's PT2399's (ebay cheap!) which have several times the memory capacity 44K, are digital (or so they sorta say) ADC-DAC, need only resistors and caps around them and hav audio quality of 12 or 13 bit DAC, pretty nice.

The only down sides are 16 pin DIP, and 30mA@5V which is a bit high if multiple units are used at once.

Also, there's the FV-1 which is nothing short of amazing. A bit more tech overhead though.

Cheers!
cabintech
smcumber wrote:
Mark - intrigued by your website. It looks like the V2181L is quite similar to the THAT 2180?

Yes, but more similar to the externally trimmed THAT 2181 series. The Coolaudio devices feature a bit lower distortion than the original THAT parts (e.g. .008%THD at 0db) but are essentially identical.
smcumber
I'm a bit of a n00b, but I'm looking at the 2180 vs 2181 schematics and they seem basically identical besides the trimming circuit from pin 4 on the 2181 (this pin is normally no contact on the 2180, per the datasheet). In theory I would think you could snip pin 4 on V2181L and effectively have a chip equivalent to the THAT 2180, right?
smcumber
(I know that's pretty much what you said just makin sure)
akos.turi
drip.feed wrote:
I've been searching for MN3009's for a while to repair my Juno chorus.

I know this is an old post but never know. Last year (2017) I built two Juno60 chorus clone. I spent 3 weeks to find genuine MN3009 chips and finally... there is a guy (Patricio) in Chile. He has a big tray full of MN3009 chips, all are genuine! It is not an advert! I just want to help. If you are interested, drop me a PM for the contact.

I ordered 2 pieces ($30/pcs), money has sent via PayPal. Chile Post is so slow, but overall it was a smooth deal! nanners
Grumble
are THESE MN3207 MN3102 DIP8 any good?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1