MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking into Squencers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Looking into Squencers
scarymcclary
So im thinking of adding a sequencer to my .com. I'm not exactly sure which manufacturer to go through as far as ease of use and functionality.

Any help would be appreciated.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
what are you looking for? How much are you willing to spend?
scarymcclary
i don't wanna spend more than $700 if i can avoid it. but i want something decent. i'm checking out the q119, m563, or the madness stg has.
Kent
Does it have to be a module?

Would something like this work for ya?
scarymcclary
Kent wrote:
Does it have to be a module?

Would something like this work for ya?

well i suppose not. maybe i should have thrown that into the option mix lol. something like that could work. i'm just kinda overwhelmed with choices.
emdot_ambient
If you've never done analog sequencing before, I would suggest sticking with traditional sequencers at first. That would be like the Q119 or Q960.

The Q119 is by far the best bang for the buck. At $560 you get a very capable sequencer that would be a great learning tool, as well as a sequencer that will continue to be serviceable, even if you decide to venture into more esoteric directions of sequencing...BUT it's a bit plain-vanilla, lacks serious expansion capabilities and is a big module space hog...a full 8U of .com space, or 10U of MOTM space.

I know the Q960 is a bit out of your price range, but if you can come up with the extra $100, to my mind it's a much more exciting option. It's expandability options (the Q961 - Q963) alone make it one to seriously consider.

The Moon Modular M563 is an exciting unit, but it's only sequencing triggers/gates, not CV. It would make a hell of a nice add-on once you have a Q960...but it can be a lot of use as well with a stack of envelope generators or anything else that has trigger/gate inputs. However, I wouldn't consider it as an ideal first foray into sequencing.

The STG stuff is very interesting...but it's a bit unconventional and I'm not 100% clear how it all works if you're not running DIN Sync gear. STG can explain it for us if he sees all this Mr. Green

Beyond that there are incredible options...out of both our price ranges: Modcan's 54B Drunken Homer Simpson Moon Modular's M569 we're not worthy Or the DIY route of the Klee sequencer or MFOS sequencers, which enter into the more experimental but yummy kind of territory.

That's my $0.02
scarymcclary
i would love to diy some stuff from mfos and other sites...but i'm not equipped with the know how to do so.

hell i barely understand modular stuff but i love it. i get it but i hate trying to explain it to other people lol.
JohnLRice
Keep in mind that while the M563 is a great module, it's just a trigger sequencer primarily intended to be used along with a 960 style sequencer (somebody correct me please if I'm mistaken!)

I think that the Q119 is a GREAT sequencer and I miss it at times, even though I now own the great Q960 and even greater M569! The Q119 is well within your price range, deceptively versitile and powerful and it has some potential for cool mods later on if you are into DIY. Maybe add the upcoming Q117 quantizer that Synthesizers.com is coming out with soon.
If you can afford it, the Moon M564 sequential switch makes a great playmate for a Q119! thumbs up

Mr. Suit's sequencer modules look really cool to and would most likely be a good choice, especially if you have something that generates DIN Sync.

If you are into building stuff you could look into making one of the MFOS 16 step sequencers: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SEQ16_2006/SEQ16_2006.p hp
While it's a big project, you can buy the circuit boards from MFOS and Bride Chamber is going to be selling Thomas White's awesome front panels so you'd be "just" down to buying the other parts and soldering. thumbs up

There are also a couple analog step sequencers with MIDI in case you are interested. You might be able to find a used doepfer maq16/3 in your price range ($975 new). Or look for a used (now out of production) Future Retro Mobius sequencer. And the Analog Solutions Oberkorn would also be a good choice and just withing your price range. Check out justwaving's fantastic Bach realization using 3 Oberkorns, a Q960 and a M563:

Best of luck!
suitandtieguy
emdot_ambient wrote:
The STG stuff is very interesting...but it's a bit unconventional and I'm not 100% clear how it all works if you're not running DIN Sync gear. STG can explain it for us if he sees all this

you don't _need_ to use the DIN sync aspect, but if you plan on using the analogue sequencers in your modular with the rest of the studio it's currently the best solution.

the Voltage and Trigger Mini-Store sequencers both have "SHIFT" inputs which allow them to be manually advanced. also the Shift Manager module has a length control and stage one gate input and output for 3 Mini-Store units.

i'd say the primary advantage of this network over other sequencers is the integration with the rest of the studio via din sync and the modular approach, which allows you to build your sequencing network piecemeal so it better matches your needs and have completely independent control over each line's rate and length.

quite frankly it seems less attractive financially when you compare them on a pure number of stages basis, but since you can run each row independently it's not entirely an accurate comparison. it especially doesn't look good if you aren't going to use the Time Buffer. however, if you want a bunch of voltage and trigger sequencers all running perfectly alongside your DAW or drum machines or whatever, it might be for you.

quite frankly i'm dying to get a Q960 to go along with my own stuff in my system.
NV
suitandtieguy wrote:

you don't _need_ to use the DIN sync aspect, but if you plan on using the analogue sequencers in your modular with the rest of the studio it's currently the best solution.

the Voltage and Trigger Mini-Store sequencers both have "SHIFT" inputs which allow them to be manually advanced.

I think you may want to emphasize this point a bit more heavily in the descriptions on your site. Over the past few months I've seen a number of people assume that your modules are strictly for DIN purposes and not usable with standard clock signals and consequently dismiss them. I know that when I first heard of the modules I was under the impression they were DIN-exclusive options and didn't realize until I analyzed them more in depth at a later time that they would function with any standard clock signal. The heavy emphasis on the DIN capabilities sort of undermines the impressive functionality as miniature sequencers, which is something I think a lot of people are looking for but don't really realize is out there.
bwhittington
5U Sequencer comparison thread
emdot_ambient
NV wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

you don't _need_ to use the DIN sync aspect, but if you plan on using the analogue sequencers

I think you may want to emphasize this point a bit more heavily in the descriptions on your site. Over the past few months I've seen a number of people assume that your modules are strictly for DIN purposes and not usable with standard clock signals...

I agree!

@STG: I never assumed they could only be used with DIN, but the info on your site wasn't quite specific so I was never really sure. I suspected what you confirmed would be the case.

I like their modular approach and the fact that they, then, can be run independent of each other. And like you, I've always felt that more sequencers is MORE. Frankly, all the 5U sequencers I've seen are very appealing and I wouldn't mind having one or more of each.

Greedy? Moi?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1