MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS 8008 - Tried it? Love it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author CGS 8008 - Tried it? Love it?
Kendall Station
Looking to get an 8008 and was wondering how close it is to the actual 808 kick and then some.....does it boooom? does it bump?

lemme know wigglers.
plord
It threatens the structural integrity of my house, when played through a Mackie subwoofer.

I'd complain that it could be more configurable, except, I just sold a Jomox Mbase-01 (the second time I have bailed on it) and went back to the 8008 and samples. If I need a crazy configurable kick, I'll use the SH-101 smile
rezzn8r
ignatius makes pretty good use of it here. sounds so good that I was thinking of adding one to my system.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10209
ignatius
i don't own an 808 so can't directly compare the sound/tone but the 8008 has loads of bass and the decay has a great amount of range. it's a great module and sounds huge and can very easily go into subsonic range. the demo linked above (thanks rezzn8r!) is the 8008 going into the modcan phase/timbre mod for the distortion and then into a LPG in 'both' mode and that is being modulated by many CV sources being mixed in the metalbox matrix mixer.

later in that song it slows down and you can hear the low end in the 8008 better as the modulation etc slows down and you can hear the 8008 almost in isolation though it's still being distorted you can make out the low end pretty obviously if you listen on some speakers other than tiny laptop speakers.
Babaluma
it's incredible, an amazing module. who wouldn't want 10V p/p of 808 kick?
Kendall Station
well that pretty much seals it. As far as comparisons with the 808 kick I think I'm looking for the 808's ability to have that huge boom but also bouncier kicks with the mid-range 'pap pap pap pap' on the attack...

now all I need is a frac 1U hit-hat module and my system is self-sufficient techno city....

CGS chime do hats pretty well? any ideas?
johnnymad
do it. i love mine. it's nice to have a dedicated kick module in my system. i don't have to tie up a filter. i like to run my through a plague bearer and a stonz (before i sold it) to thicken it up.
panda30y
So happy to hear people talk about these modules! applause

I really want to get metalbox to build me a full rack worth of cgs drum modules!
Kendall Station
yes, afaik they are the only dedicated drum modules available in frac format if I'm not mistaken....a metalbox percussion rig could be quite powerful esp with seq switches etc......good fun it seems
panda30y
Kendall Station wrote:
yes, afaik they are the only dedicated drum modules available in frac format if I'm not mistaken....a metalbox percussion rig could be quite powerful esp with seq switches etc......good fun it seems


I think I might get 1 rack filled with a gate sequencer, Dual Chime, Dual Drum, Cynare, and an 8008 in the ear. Or take out the Cynare, and replace it with a burst generator and other modules such as possibly a 2nd dual drum.
rezzn8r
8008s fit nicely in an ear?
(no pun intended hihi )
eyehue
the cgs cynare does the best hats of that lot, imo. cgs dual chime is cool, sure, but not as nice. the cynare is just super-versatile.

i still lust after the 8008, but i made a pretty nice drum set in my frac rack still: coron ds7 clone, thomas henry ud-1, cgs dual chime, thomas henry adv snare, and cgs cynare. i love this configuration and definitely recommend trying your own modular drum set; a sequencer and pulse divider / logic and some interesting rhythms can be made. add to that the CV capabilities of some of these drum modules and SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

i may have to build another modular drum set, just so i can have an 8008.
panda30y
eyehue wrote:
the cgs cynare does the best hats of that lot, imo. cgs dual chime is cool, sure, but not as nice. the cynare is just super-versatile.

i still lust after the 8008, but i made a pretty nice drum set in my frac rack still: coron ds7 clone, thomas henry ud-1, cgs dual chime, thomas henry adv snare, and cgs cynare. i love this configuration and definitely recommend trying your own modular drum set; a sequencer and pulse divider / logic and some interesting rhythms can be made. add to that the CV capabilities of some of these drum modules and SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

i may have to build another modular drum set, just so i can have an 8008.


I have to play w/ both of them (cynare and chime) to get a better feel. I already have plans for the pulse divider/logic in my other racks, so I don't feel the need for it in there. Might try out the thomas henry pcb's on sale at e-m. hmmm.....

And yes, the 8008 can fit in an ear. 8_)
DGTom
Kendall Station wrote:
I think I'm looking for the 808's ability to have that huge boom but also bouncier kicks with the mid-range 'pap pap pap pap' on the attack...


One of the best things about the 8008 is its really, really solid in the higher end of the Tune range. With Tune at about 1-2 O'Clock & short decay it does that really tight & bouncy, great at higher tempos kick to a tea. This is actually my favourite sound in lots of ways, because I like busy kick patterns.

My 2nd favourite thing to do is run the 8008 thru the Wave Mult. & 'play' the tune knob; the way the pitch bends into the folder is really wierd & 110% awesome SlayerBadger!

I'm actually thinking about getting a 2nd help
One for the tight main kick & one for the 'once every 2 bars' bass boom. The rational side of my brain says; get a dual drum, but.....

The 8008 isn't a CGS design BTW... & compared to my 'other' 808 kick clone Mr. Ford has really tweaked the basic cct. to get heaps of range out of all the controls; it goes lower & higher, has more decay & more click in the Tone control.

I will echo plords danger warning... thru a sub, at low settings it does stupid bad things!! Including T Rex style water wobbling while people are washing dishes in other parts of the house Mr. Green
Kendall Station
well it looks like the deed will have to be done then...very nice. i'm happy to know that it works well in the upper tone range I love the bouncy kicks.

Omw to order a clock divider module as well (w/o analog logic, he said he'd do it!).

So what's the best analog hat module to be made then? not too familiar with coron or thomas henry stuff.
rezzn8r
DGTom wrote:

I will echo plords danger warning... thru a sub, at low settings it does stupid bad things!! Including T Rex style water wobbling while people are washing dishes in other parts of the house Mr. Green

w00t!!
methinks there is an ear-racked 8008 in my future.
plord
Kendall Station wrote:
So what's the best analog hat module to be made then? not too familiar with coron or thomas henry stuff.


Cynare, hands down. Will do 808-ish noise hats, clangy ring mod hats, Hp filtered thwippy hats, or any combination of these, and has a pile of CV inputs so you can send a variable gate pattern to get OHH and CHH out of one module. Oh, and it does snares too, if you want.

It's mighty large, though.
johnnymad
plord wrote:
Cynare, hands down. Will do 808-ish noise hats, clangy ring mod hats, Hp filtered thwippy hats, or any combination of these, and has a pile of CV inputs so you can send a variable gate pattern to get OHH and CHH out of one module. Oh, and it does snares too, if you want.


finally, someone who's used a cynare. could you use the same cv trick to get hats and snare at the same time?
panda30y
johnnymad wrote:
plord wrote:
Cynare, hands down. Will do 808-ish noise hats, clangy ring mod hats, Hp filtered thwippy hats, or any combination of these, and has a pile of CV inputs so you can send a variable gate pattern to get OHH and CHH out of one module. Oh, and it does snares too, if you want.


finally, someone who's used a cynare. could you use the same cv trick to get hats and snare at the same time?


Or better yet a simple Cynare demo? Please? razz
johnnymad
I agree! the only demo i've heard is the one on metalbox's site. i don't even know if it's one cynare or a bunch of them.
plord
Hm, the primary CV is for the "envelope damper" (can't explain it, it is cool to play with) and the Filter CV. So if you wanted a 606/808 style snare (a crack/blip with a noisy decay), you could have that then HP filter out the snare blip and mess with the envelope and damper to get noisy hats out of it. *Should* work but will take some fiddling like anything good on a modular smile

I would do you a demo but, I am currently in between Cynares. I sold my Frac one and have a little special something coming early next year courtesy of Metalbox.
panda30y
Quote:
I would do you a demo but, I am currently in between Cynares. I sold my Frac one and have a little special something coming early next year courtesy of Metalbox.


Oooohh..... can't wait to see.
Kendall Station
plord wrote:
Kendall Station wrote:
So what's the best analog hat module to be made then? not too familiar with coron or thomas henry stuff.


Cynare, hands down. Will do 808-ish noise hats, clangy ring mod hats, Hp filtered thwippy hats, or any combination of these, and has a pile of CV inputs so you can send a variable gate pattern to get OHH and CHH out of one module. Oh, and it does snares too, if you want.

It's mighty large, though.


yes it is a bit large for my liking as well as spendy for my current budget times are tough and tuition is due. It'd be nice to have something small....Hmm.
Babaluma
yep, my 8008 is in a blacet rack ear.

afaik michael ford cloned the original 808 kick circuit, even using the same transistors, but brought the level up to regular modular standard (i.e. much higher) and added the tune control, which wasn't standard on regular 808s (forgive me if i'm wrong here).

best module i know for testing the bass response of a system, and making my little speakers feel inadequate. i would LOVE to hear it on a massive PA! the thing just rocks big time, and puts a smile on my face every time i use it.

i think i have the first production model. originally it was set up strangely and had no led, but when michael converted it to frac ear for me, he tweaked it some more and added the led. great service!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group