MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
A look inside the Bliptronic 5000
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author A look inside the Bliptronic 5000
legionhwp
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: A look inside the Bliptronic 5000 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some of you may have seen this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/musical-instruments/c4e1/

A $49 handheld pattern based sequencer. Circuit bending circles have been waiting for it's release to see if it could be used for parts, bent, etc.

I got mine today and thought I'd share a few pics of the inside.

Unfortunately the actual guts are of the "black blob" variety and Surface mount stuff which doesn't lend itself to hacking but I did manage to burn out the internal speaker in less than a minute so that's something smile

The main "brain":

The matrix:

I have discovered the only two easily bendable components are the most fragile. These are two resistors attached to the internal speak/headphone jack. I *think* they are about 8-10 ohm and have miraculously burned one of them out twice by plugging in the headphone jack. Will be tracking that down later but here's a pic of the area:

Anyone else take a look at this creature yet? The main chip is labeled so I'm wondering if there is some master plan which can modify it? The sounds are all digital playback cheap casio type things but the interface is cool as hell and they can be linked together as well.
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

more info on its' design:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/11/25/bliptronic-5000s-creator-hack ing-tips-prototyping-and-the-switchnome/
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ive been watching the hype on these things and the usability of it's guts. i almost bought 2 the other day. keen to see what fun things can be done with the pads

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blobs can be bent..........no problem.

But I guess with fm sounds, no real nice happy accidents will occur.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jenamu6&search_type=&aq=f
My modular noises:
http://soundcloud.com/jenamu6
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the hackosphere is interested in this because it's a relatively cheap, readymade scanning button matrix with LEDs in a spacious case. From the looks of it it's really simple, diodes in the right places, everything brought down to a DIL header. You can fit an arduino in there easy, then it's just a matter of fitting a USB connector and you're off - 80 dollar hackable controller.
money bags
eat the rich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

something needs to be done. the demos sounds horrible. i like the idea of adding in the arduino maybe get something going on controlling sound and video. cant wait to see what comes of it. i would give it a shot but for $80 i cant experiment. if it broke i would cry and you guys would never hear the end of it. (hides)
sylvie
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Bliptronic guts Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey Guys;...
Does anybody has a clue where the clock crystal is on this thing?
I saw this silver long cilinder thingy next to where all the caps are ....but I'm not sure hmmm..... ..... it's marked X1 on the board...
If i find the crystal I'll replace it by a precision oscillator so the thing can be tuned very low and high....
Thanx
x
Sylvie
daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bliptronic guts Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sylvie wrote:
it's marked X1 on the board...

"X" is a typical designator for a crystal, so "X1" is probably a crystal.
Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once someone figures out how to pop an arduino into this. Bye-bye Monome 40h
jazzdoktorn
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello!
Im from sweden and i hope that you are tolerant with my spelling.

This is my first post here, and i found this thread after searching the net for possibilities to do something really funny with my Blip.
My first thought was to use it as is, with effects in my daw.
But then i noticed the Gakken sx-150 and i started to have trouble sleeping at night.
A Gakken and a Bliptronic in the same box.
"The TB303 of 2009"
When i close my eyes i see the sync jacks as CV jacks.

Could this be possible somehow?

My hope is as usual, that someone more intelligent than me, could find a way to make this happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: