MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building my first Blacet module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Building my first Blacet module
haricots
1st post!

I'm about to attempt my first build of a Blacet module (Dual Filter). I've built a few kits in the past and modified a thing here or there but I barely consider myself much past the newb stage.

Blacet recommends using no clean solder. I don't have any nor do I wish to invest in some if I don't have to. I have loads of the typical 60/40 rosin core stuff. If I continue to use it should I invest in some sort of resin cleaner? I've never bothered cleaning boards any farther than using rubbing alcohol to clean up the messy areas. What is the proper method for cleaning a newly soldered board?
Kwote
you'll have to though. you can't wash certain things like pots or jacks.

not sure why you wouldn't want to invest. it's not that expensive and worth the purchase. have you been to mouser.com?

check my blog for dual filter build info and tools info if you wish,

http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com

you'll enjoy the dual. it's a simple, yet not so simple filter.
haricots
I priced out a pound and it came out to twice as much as regular 60/40. Roughly $60CAD which seems a little steep. I haven't been able to find anything less than 1lb. Is it any harder to solder with no clean?

(thanks for the reply, and I have checked out your blog. smile )
scozbor
greetings haricots!

I am a total blacet newb too. I have now built 3 modules and the dual filter was one of them.

if you follow the instructions and take your time (which can be hard!) you shouldn't have any problems.

as for solder... i would do as the instructions say! I just order a few solder kits with my modules.

I have been washing my pcbs in warm tap water with a toothbrush. I am on rainwater here though so it probably has less minerals etc than straight tap water. They have been coming up fine though with no water marks or anything. other people here just wash with tap water and have had no problems...

happy building days! its kinda almost half the fun sort of confused
Cybananna
I think in the short term it is fine. it's long term for risk of troubles. I believe the solder is acidic and can corrode. That's why you should wash. It may never lead to problems, but who knows. I do wash mine.

I use no wash only for thing like wires, switches, and jacks. just scrub the board with water and an old toothbrush. I new to building also though so my info isn't perfect.

Dual filter is tons of fun. under rated for sound warping. no VC, so not a do all filter, but great at what it does.
Kwote
haricots wrote:
I priced out a pound and it came out to twice as much as regular 60/40. Roughly $60CAD which seems a little steep. I haven't been able to find anything less than 1lb. Is it any harder to solder with no clean?

(thanks for the reply, and I have checked out your blog. smile )

woah. that sounds steep. have you been to mouser.com??

i referenced both kinds of solder on my blog and the mouser part numbers if you missed em.

24-6337-6401 (1 LB) Kester Solder 63/37 .020 1#SPL $20.79
24-6337-8800 (1 LB) Kester Solder 63/37 .031 1#SPL $14.07

i remember Muff saying he used Digikey.com because it's more Canadian friendly. search the prices out over there.

good luck man.
consumed
hey, go check your prices again kwote. the price of leaded solder is rising like there's no tomorrow, because its discontinued (i think). back when i bought two rolls, i got them for about $12 each. blame ROHS.
Kwote
ouch. you are unfortunately right on.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=*2463376401*&N=1323038&Nt x=mode%2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=24-6337-6401&Ntk=Mouser_ Wildcards

$45.33 for one spool.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&Ntt=*2463378800*&N=13 23038&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=24-6337-8800&Ntk =Mouser_Wildcards

$37.63 for one spool.

god damn these ROHS fucks. now i gotta stock up before it gets blown beyond belief.

always something.
scozbor
ROHS is a standard for eliminating lead from electronics right?

why is this bad?

surely most manufacturers are switching over to ROHS compliant pcbs etc?
is it just the transition period where older pcbs still need solder with lead in them?
Kwote
there's a whole message i read once about how non leaded stuff can grow whisker's over time which can cause problems with stuff.

i know that sounds vague and lame but it's just one of many reasons why the ol skool rules and my memory sucks. lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1