MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Neutron orgone accumulator preview and gauging interest
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Neutron orgone accumulator preview and gauging interest
Neutron7
IT WORKS FINE!

ill be starting a build thread soon with ordering info.

there are some things that need to be soldered in order, and you need a fine point soldering tip and thin solder or you will have a bad time.
sammy123
Guinness ftw!
waggles
screaming goo yo
SymbioteK
I`ll take a set
Neutron7
SymbioteK wrote:
I`ll take a set

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116293
elmegil
I just ordered one, thanks.

At one point you were talking about a generally programmable unit akin to an Ardcore; if one has the chops, is this usable in that way?
Neutron7
You could do that, the code is free to do what you like with. All I ask is that you share your work. I have a place for alternative firmwares on github.
4285407da1d2a63820a3007c1
Didn't check in on this thread for ages, whatever happened to the amazing panel that was originally in the first post? The blue one. The new one looks much more practical not nearly as super cool.
Neutron7
boringness excuse A:

It would have meant that the teensy and many of the components would be on a separate board, because there was no large enough spot on the board between the controls, So it would have been another $20 or so, plus between board headers.

OR

boringness excuse B:

the panel would be 24hp, (also more expensive, but not as much) and some people objected to the size.

Sorry i made it boring, i hope you will think otherwise when you hear one.
4285407da1d2a63820a3007c1
I quite like the new panel to be honest, I just thought the old one was really cool. Was really unique, but going for the cheaper and easier option certainly makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to the sounds!
elmegil
Neutron7 wrote:
You could do that, the code is free to do what you like with. All I ask is that you share your work. I have a place for alternative firmwares on github.

We've talked about this kind of work in PM too, definitely would be happy to share.

Main obstacle is utter noobness with github but that's surmountable smile
Neutron7
That doesnt matter, just make the code how you like it and send it to me. ill include it on github, or, i think you can make your own github account and i can include a link to your fork.
elmegil
We can discuss it further offline if it ever comes to fruition, there are many irons in the fire smile I did order the board and a Teensy 3 so we're off to the races at least.
Neutron7
I am finally happy with the FM alternative (X) mode. What i have done is changed the high position from a wave selector to a center-zero cube law variable pitch bender, the high position retains the mid positions selected wave. Then i tweaked the FM frequency to be Like an LFO when in fixed mode. Then i wasted a couple of hours playing with it, it is really fun.

I will do a video, hopefully this weekend.
Bakeneko
I'm very interested in this , it sounds great.

cheers and regards
cane creek
Ive ordered PCB/Panel
This is probably the most adventuras build i'll of took part in thus far so my questions may sound a wee bit silly Russian Roulette

Would it be ok to program the Teensy 3.1 via USB first then cut the trace then install it into the module ?
elmegil
cane creek wrote:

Would it be ok to program the Teensy 3.1 via USB first then cut the trace then install it into the module ?

If you don't have any USB cable going to the front panel, why would you do that? Leaving it programmable would allow you to pull the module and flash firmware updates to it later, but it shouldn't be at any risk of being reprogrammed just by having a connector....

EDIT: I was misinterpreting which trace was being talked about, so yes, the power trace does need to be cut, see subsequent posts.
cane creek
elmegil wrote:

If you don't have any USB cable going to the front panel, why would you do that? Leaving it programmable would allow you to pull the module and flash firmware updates to it later, but it shouldn't be at any risk of being reprogrammed just by having a connector....

Like i stated I'm new to this and have no idea, so your saying don't cut the trace.
Neutron7
cane creek wrote:
Ive ordered PCB/Panel
This is probably the most adventuras build i'll of took part in thus far so my questions may sound a wee bit silly Russian Roulette

Yes that is a good idea. You can check your teensy with the blink sketch to make sure it is working ok, and your computer detected it properly, then install the firmware and cut the trace before installing it.

You can still program it after but the module needs to be powered.

If you want to experiment while the module is in your system, you could get something like this bulkhead cable

http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-micro-b-panel-mount-extension-cabl e-m-f.html

And mount it on the side of your case, or on a blank panel.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you can solder a diode across the cut trace, and use a diode instead of the power jumper on the orgone accumulator. Then it will take power from either source.

(Not tested, but shown here on pjrc site)
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html
(Thats for teensy 2, but paul says it will work with teensy 3/3.1 as well.
http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/19228-confused-again-Cutting-VIN-from-VU SB-Teensy-3-0
elmegil
cane creek wrote:
elmegil wrote:

Like i stated I'm new to this and have no idea, so your saying don't cut the trace.

No problem, I didn't meant to sound aggressive.

Yes I'm saying don't cut the trace, there should be no reason to.

EDIT: No I was wrong, see the subsequent posts.
Neutron7
If you do not cut the trace, the teensy will not work without USB power, and more importantly, if you power the module while also connected to USB, USB power from your computer will be shorted to your synths 5v power, which could potentially destroy something (computer usb power, maybe synth 5v regulator)
Neutron7
Could people put questions about building in the build thread, please? thumbs up

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116293
elmegil
Neutron7 wrote:
If you do not cut the trace, the teensy will not work without USB power, and more importantly, if you power the module while also connected to USB, USB power from your computer will be shorted to your synths 5v power, which could potentially destroy something (computer usb power, maybe synth 5v regulator)

Call me corrected smile And yeah, over to the build thread.
cane creek
Thanks for replys
mcop
Board and panel have arrived It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 9 of 15