MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer A-100 DIY kit #1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Doepfer A-100 DIY kit #1
pantarhei
Anyone willing to share his experience with this DIY case-building kit?
I have very litte to no knowledge of electronics but the DIY case kit seemed to be relativly easy to assemble.

Is there anyhting I should know about before purchasing and assembling my DIY kit? I found some schematics on the doepfer website and it seemed to be really easy and straight forward but maybe I'm missing something hmmm.....

Thanks in advance!
Altitude909
I'm building a ikea rast based one right now. got all parts from erthenvar which consisted of 94 hp of rails, 3u brackets. pretty straightforward. for power im using the mfos half wave board so im just running a 12v ac wallwart. ill probably go with something beefier down the road.
pantarhei
If you just buy the kit from doepfer directly, do you have all the parts needed to build the rack or are some parts still missing?

I assume you didn't buy the kit from doepfer yourself but decided to just buy all the parts individually?

I was mostly worried about working with the high voltages but I presume everything is rather safe (doepfer website says : 'because of safety reasons, no dangerous voltages accessible inside the case' ) so I think there's not much to worry about? hmmm.....

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_DIY_kits.htm

Thanks!
flx
I built a case with the Doepfer DIY Kit 1 and it's super easy. You don't need any electronics knowledge, as you just have to plug a few cables onto clearly labeled pins. All you need apart from the Kit are some screws and an enclosure that you can screw everything into. You could even use a cardboard box.
pantarhei
Great! Thanks for the info, now I'm confident enough to get me a DIY kit and save alot of money applause

Maybe one day i'll get to buying me some DIY Modules but for now I'll just stick to building the case razz
flx
Cool! All the extra materials apart from the DIY Kit cost me just €20, so you'll definitely save a bunch of money! I went into a hardware store where they cut and sell wood, so I told them the measurements and received wood pieces that I just needed to screw together.

drip.feed
I built my first case from a Doepfer DIY kit. It was a piece of cake.

I got someone to make the wooden box (like flx did) though I could have done it myself if I had a table saw. The kit comes with a HOW TO on building a case with dimensions and everything. If you are handy at all then the DIY kit is the way to go.

In fact the kit has one big advantage over buying Doepfer's own cases: the kit uses a mains transformer lump that lies outside the case so you can mount sensitive modules anywhere you like. Doepfer's own cases mount the transformer inside the case, in the bottom right corner. That means you can't mount audio modules in the bottom right corner (VCO, VCF, VCA, VCP, frequency shifter, ring modulator, spring reverb and so on)! d'oh!
Poldenstein
Hi
I built a a very simple 12U case around doepfer DIY kit#1 (well, actually I think I'll need a second one to put inside it).
Here's the thread about it if you are interested. (My god, this thing is filling up so fast..)
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96036&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0
Nothing to worry about electricity-wise. 220V are safely enclosed in the external transformer, and you are exposed only to 12V.
dave999z
Hello. I'm new to this too, so forgive the very basic questions...

If you use this kit, where is the power switch? Do you cut a hole in the side or back of your case to mount the switch?

Can this easily oower a 6U setup (two 84hp rows)?

You can connect 28 modules? And each module needs its own ribbon cable to connect to the board?

If you expand your system beyond 6U, do you need another whole DIY kit, need to mount another power switch, get another power cord, etc.? Or is it possible to tap additional boards into this same initial power connection?

Did you guys consider any other companies' power/board solutions (tiptop, 4ms, etc.)? Are the different manufacturers' systems pretty much equivalent quality?

Thanks!
Rigo
dave999z wrote:
Hello. I'm new to this too, so forgive the very basic questions...

If you use this kit, where is the power switch? Do you cut a hole in the side or back of your case to mount the switch?

Can this easily oower a 6U setup (two 84hp rows)?

You can connect 28 modules? And each module needs its own ribbon cable to connect to the board?

If you expand your system beyond 6U, do you need another whole DIY kit, need to mount another power switch, get another power cord, etc.? Or is it possible to tap additional boards into this same initial power connection?

Did you guys consider any other companies' power/board solutions (tiptop, 4ms, etc.)? Are the different manufacturers' systems pretty much equivalent quality?

Thanks!

-Depending on the modules, you could even power a 3rd row (but forget about it if you have a lot of digital modules, or tube ones) I think you can even connect up to 4 busboards ...
-No need for a power switch ... just unplug the external transformer
-for getting the power in the case you can add a connector (as is described in the build notes from Doepfer)

I started out with this kit for a 9U, and later made a bigger case with a PowerOne PSU ... Now I bought 2 more kits (second hand from the Bue/Sell/Trade forum here) for even more expansion hihi

If you are capable of some basic DIY, this kit is the way to go ...
cloudscapes
this thread is making me wish for proper wood cutting tools :(
inner_light
Hi!
Im in the process of building a Doepfer DIY kit too. I was wondering if anyone in the USA could tell me the power supply they used? Links would be super helpful. Im worried ill order the wrong supply or voltages or one with the wrong tip
Thanks
thumbs up
morphic
mdf and car spray paint

doepfer diy kit

attach acrylic

finished result

good luck I'm going to try a boat next (wooden)
dot matrix madness
A larger box offers the possibility of mounting the power supply of the Doepfer kit inside:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108030&highlight=
cyclopeatron
Just resurrecting this thread to show off the case I made! I have very little experience woodworking, and this only took me a couple of hours and was a very satisfying little project. I had Lowe's cut the wood for me. Great results!

And pretty cheap! I ordered the kit for $195 from Analog Haven. All wood and screws were ~$20.

Here a few things I couldn't find answers to before I jumped into the project that might be helpful to others thinking about trying the kit:

1. The power supply transformer box has a switch on it (I purchased my kit Sept 2016), so you don't need to to worry about installing a separate switch if that would be important to you.

2. By putting the power supply board flush to the 1/2" plywood on the inside, I was able to drill a hole large enough for the power wire to connect easily with the power socket. It connects with a satisfying "click" and is easy to disconnect and connect. Totally solid.

3. To raise the busboards from the back panel I just glued single strips of thin wood, then screwed the boards into the strips.

nasanalog
I ordered an A-100 DIY kit and it will arrive tomorrow. I'd like to add a set of rails to it for a total of 7u. Does anyone have some plans they can share? I'll be using standard plywood for the build.

Sorry for the n00b question.

Thanks
soundunit
Question:
I have the A-100 kit. Was wondering if it's possible to add a bus board and expand it to a 9U system.
soundunit
Question:
I have the A-100 kit. Was wondering if I can add a Bus Board and expand it to a 9U system.
bobdylan

Built this with my dad out of the A-100 DIY kit. Decided to forgo the suggested design for something a little sleeker in my opinion. Hopefully don't run into any design flaws along the way hihi
swhic
nice! could you please post the dimension of the side wood? Cheers
muleskinner
Hi,

Thought I'd post a pic of my recently-completed project as I kept returning to this thread for inspiration/info!

Everything worked out pretty much OK considering I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Mounted the power supply close to the edge as suggested so the cable can be easily unplugged.

To mount the bus boards I used standard wood screws but used these little plastic covers for shed roof screws as spacers (I had a load left over from when I fixed my shed roof). This worked really well.

I found the hardest thing was lining up the screws that hold the rails in place.

Probably looks like a weird set of modules to kick off but I'm using this as additional modulation for other gear to start with (Mother 32, Sub 37, Tempest, Sherman).
cwhoffman
bobdylan wrote:

Built this with my dad out of the A-100 DIY kit. Decided to forgo the suggested design for something a little sleeker in my opinion. Hopefully don't run into any design flaws along the way hihi

I was thinking about making a similar case, with my day, and using the DIY kit. what dimensions did you use? this is the sketch I came up with. I would appreciate your opinion/tips. thanks!
sphet
Looks like your front edge height is too shallow. Are your drawings to scale? Seems like some moduleswould bottom out in the lower rack. We
cwhoffman
sphet wrote:
Looks like your front edge height is too shallow. Are your drawings to scale? Seems like some moduleswould bottom out in the lower rack. We

too shallow? ok, i'll look into that. The drawings aren't really to scale but the dimensions should be right, i thought. I'll look into the front edge height and module depth. thank you
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1