MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nord Drum 2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Nord Drum 2
Paranormal Patroler
Why there is no thread about this little beast is beyond me. Looks like a really fun box to trigger with your modular system. Hopefully it will handle CV triggers just as well as the DDrum4 does.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/nordkeyboards/nord-drum-2-osv2-0-demo-1[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/nordkeyboards/nord-drum-2-osv2-0-demo-2[/s]
Paranormal Patroler
All the sounds above come from the latest update:

http://www.musictech.net/2013/10/nord-drum-2-software-update-released/
ignatius
yes it does handle triggers from the modular just fine. there's a few vine videos from richard devine and i think a youtube or two of it in use w/a modular.

the yamaha rm-50 works just fine w/ modular triggers too btw smile
Paranormal Patroler
Very helpful ignatius, as always.

It's one of the rare occasions where I actually appreciate a Richard Devine clip. His showcase videos tend to be a repetition of noisy blurbs which do nothing to help kindle the interest of prospective buyers and just ignite drooling fanboism. (sorry Richard, you're as cool a guy as it gets but the above is true)

In my quest for realistic drum sounds I got a DDrum4 which I have been triggering from my eurorack and I love how the combination works. Obviously this is a case of "you can never have enough VCAs".

Considering how cheap the ND1 is right now I think I should better wait for a year or two before I start looking for a used ND2.
z3r01
I have been looking at the Drum 2 lately, as well. It looks pretty interesting, and I am rather tempted to switch out my TTA 808 drum modules for it.

There doesn't seem to be much talk about the Drum 2 on Muffs. I only found a few threads on the Nord Drum (first version).

There were feedback from some wigglers, who own the MK 1, that they had issues trying to get it to trigger properly using triggers/gates from the modular. Either there were double triggers, or it did not trigger at all. (This thread here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91580&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0)

So, based on what ignatius said, I am guessing they fixed the issue (if there was any, in the first place) for the Drum 2?

Also, there seems to be more demos of the MK 1s, than there are for the MK 2s.. hmmm.....
Paranormal Patroler
The DDrum4 which as I said earlier I've used with the modular has input sensitivity attenuators (those weird people call them trimmers). The ND2 also has those but not in such a hands-on way. I did hear it on a video though.
z3r01
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
The DDrum4 which as I said earlier I've used with the modular has input sensitivity attenuators (those weird people call them trimmers). The ND2 also has those but not in such a hands-on way. I did hear it on a video though.

I just checked the ND2's manual, and yup, seems to take slightly a bit more effort to adjust the threshold, but still seems like not too big of an issue, to me, I guess.

Reading the manual a bit more, I think I am slowly convincing myself that replacing the TTA drums with this, is a no-brainer...hmmm....
Paranormal Patroler
And if it doesn't work out I can always buy yours second hand Mr. Green

But seriously, what's the case with the ND1? It's so cheap now.
z3r01
And if it doesn't work out I can always buy yours second hand Mr. Green

But seriously, what's the case with the ND1? It's so cheap now.

Hahaha! That does sound like a rather decent proposition. Don't tempt me! lol

Looking at the specs between the two, the ND2 seems like a rather big jump (to me, at least) from its predecessor. Built-in effects, headphone outs, stereo outs, 6 channels, and MIDI CC.

I am thinking now, an ND2 sequenced by an Arturia BeatStep (via MIDI/MIDI CC) would be a pretty decent drum setup, with a relatively small footprint. Hmmm...tempting... Dead Banana
Paranormal Patroler
I'm thinking ND2 with Flame Echometer Dead Banana
z3r01

Indeed...That does seem like a really good combo...You gotta stop giving me interesting ideas like that...I am supposed to be on a strict equipment acquisition plan...must resist... zombie Dead Banana
jarvis
I love my little ND2!

Here's a simple Lemur template I just made for it (no patch syncing)
soundinett

Would love to hear some sounds of this combo!!
scozbor
ND2 and echometer is my ultimate combo also. Though I'm currently using echometer with korg microsampler via MidiPal. MidiPal providing adjustable note randomisation into the microsampler It's peanut butter jelly time!
z3r01
scozbor wrote:
ND2 and echometer is my ultimate combo also. Though I'm currently using echometer with korg microsampler via MidiPal. MidiPal providing adjustable note randomisation into the microsampler It's peanut butter jelly time!

Hey scozbor, how are you finding the FM synthesis on the ND2? Any overall views on the ND2 as well?

Thanks in advance! thumbs up
scozbor
ahh sorry I should have said 'would be my ultimate combo' - if I had one
Rigo
ignatius wrote:
the yamaha rm-50 works just fine w/ modular triggers too btw smile

Should be able to test that next month ... bought one on Evil-bay nanners
blinosynth
is it possible to sequence the nd2 with octatrack? not using sample just using the midi sequencer?
if is possible...
OT + ND2
mental.
deltaphoenix
blinosynth wrote:
is it possible to sequence the nd2 with octatrack? not using sample just using the midi sequencer?
if is possible...
OT + ND2
mental.

Should be possible, I was thinking the same thing too.
GovernorSilver
blinosynth wrote:
is it possible to sequence the nd2 with octatrack?

There is a free drum sequencing iPad app called "Nord Beat" written for the Nord Drum - it's just a MIDI sequencer. Thus sequencing with the Octatrack MIDI sequencer should work.
z3r01
deltaphoenix wrote:
blinosynth wrote:
if is possible...
OT + ND2
mental.

Should be possible, I was thinking the same thing too.

Yup, I think it should do fine:

z3r01
scozbor wrote:
ahh sorry I should have said 'would be my ultimate combo' - if I had one

Haha no worries. thumbs up

Anyways, really hoping wigglers who have any experience using the ND2, will chime in here. There is a severe lack of demos/reviews of the ND2 on the interwebs, so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. thumbs up
Noha
I'm so happy there's finally a thread about my beloved Nord Drum 2! I have one and have been using it with both my Ableton and the modular. It handles triggers like a champ, and as long as the pulse width is short enough it won't double trigger. On the Trigger Riot you have to reduce the width to about five or less. It's greatly velocity sensitive as well, so I've been using VCAs with the triggers to reduce the voltage and get nice articulation. I'm happy to answer any other questions about this super cool, cheap and great sounding unit.
Noha
while i haven't personally sequenced the ND2 with the OT i don't see why it would be any sort of problem. The Nord can either respond with all six voices on one midi channel or split each voice into its own midi channel, either of which method would jive with the Octatrack fine.
fac
I'm a Nord fan and I'd love to buy a Nord Drum, but I already have too much stuff (not that that ever stopped me). Knowing it handles triggers from a modular synth (or maybe from the Machinedrum) only makes me want it more. Someday I'll get one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 1 of 17