MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question about Modcan Quad LFO 03B (old version)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Question about Modcan Quad LFO 03B (old version)
rafe127
Hey y'all, does anyone have the 03B and feel like answering a question I have about it?

I am curious how the 4th output jack (MIX out) works. It seems like the fourth jack will not ever give you just the 4th LFO, is that true? Is it, in fact, a dedicated mix output that cannot have just one LFO on it (unless of course all three of the other LFOs are disabled)?

The Modcan site has the following info:

"With the switch in the center position, output is disabled.
This allows the user to remove the LFO from the internal mix."

There is no indication of the fact that inserting a plug into the output jack removes it from the MIX output, which seems like it would be the logical way to set things up. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Thanks,

-R
rezzn8r
If you use the In AND Out connections for LFOs 1-3, then only the signal for LFO 4 is present at the mix/4 output. If the Out connections are not used for LFOs 1, 2, and/or 3, then those signals are mixed at mix/4 Out.
So, if you don't use the individual outs for the LFOs, they are all mixed together at Out 4. The 4VCA works in the same way.

Hope this helps.
rafe127
That's exactly the information I was looking for... and that is also exactly what I was HOPING the function of the MIX output would be. Thanks for your help!

Now all I need to do is find a used one for sale Mr. Green
Anyone upgrading to the new Quad LFO and wants to get rid of an 03B?

-R
rafe127
Doesn't it seem weird though, that this function is not described on the website?
sandyb
rafe127 wrote:
Doesn't it seem weird though, that this function is not described on the website?

check page 11 of the b series manual, which does state this is how the module functions. the manual goes into a bit more detail than the web pages.

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/manuals/B%20Series%20manual.pdf
dude
also, is there an implication that this module is going out of production? i really hope not as it is completely different than the newer digi quad lfo. i plan on snagging both when i am able!
parasitk
dude wrote:
also, is there an implication that this module is going out of production? i really hope not as it is completely different than the newer digi quad lfo. i plan on snagging both when i am able!

I might have helped spread that rumor because I thought I read it "somewhere". I emailed Bruce asking, but never got a reply (probably got lost in the shuffle). I really hope it's not going out of production as well, because I really want it (much more than the newer digital one, actually).
dude
i just made an attempt to contact bruce as i had other business as well. i will certainly pass pertinent info along if i find any!
BananaPlug
parasitk wrote:
dude wrote:
also, is there an implication that this module is going out of production?

I might have helped spread that rumor because I thought I read it "somewhere".

I think you got it mixed up with the dual oscillator. Not the 05 dual LFO or the digital 62, it was like two 01 oscillators with fewer controls.

My 03A is a keeper. The A format seems uniquely good for dense quad modules with just enough functionality.
parasitk
BananaPlug wrote:
parasitk wrote:
dude wrote:
also, is there an implication that this module is going out of production?

I might have helped spread that rumor because I thought I read it "somewhere".

I think you got it mixed up with the dual oscillator. Not the 05 dual LFO or the digital 62, it was like two 01 oscillators with fewer controls.

No, I know about that one. I think I read someone say the quad lfo was going out, and just repeated it here at some point! d'oh!

I'm looking forward to having some module money again to grab one of these guys!
BananaPlug
You might want to put the quad VCA on your list too. thumbs up
parasitk
BananaPlug wrote:

I do!
rafe127
@sandyb

Oops. Thanks.
I feel like a dope, I know I looked at that recently I must have missed that section.

oops
dude
it would appear he is in fact phasing it out due to low sales but his answer was short and noncommittal. i am guessing one could order one now if one so desired. i broke the bank last night or i would likely place an order myself. so go try to buy one before it is too late as it will be too late sooner than we like i think. oh and i quote:

"you can never have too many filters"
parasitk
dude wrote:
it would appear he is in fact phasing it out due to low sales but his answer was short and noncommittal. i am guessing one could order one now if one so desired. i broke the bank last night or i would likely place an order myself. so go try to buy one before it is too late as it will be too late sooner than we like i think.

Shit. No idea where this money will come from. Thanks for the update though!
sandyb
dude wrote:
it would appear he is in fact phasing it out due to low sales but his answer was short and noncommittal. i am guessing one could order one now if one so desired. i broke the bank last night or i would likely place an order myself. so go try to buy one before it is too late as it will be too late sooner than we like i think. oh and i quote:

"you can never have too many filters"

ah bollocks. i want one of the original quad lfos but hadn't planned on ordering one for a while.

(shuffling off to count pennies in my change jar....)

sandy
dude
honestly if we can encourage a couple sales of it soon i bet he might consider keeping it on board. i REALLY would have ponied up but i just got a new case new motm 900 power+ modcan attenuate and bwhitts dual quantizer!
rezzn8r
so I'm curious what it is about the 03 that you guys like so much. is it because you can controls 2 rates at the same time, one with each hand?
or is it the toggle switch?? hmmm.....
seems to me that the 61 is everything the 03 is, and so much more.
dude
rezzn8r wrote:
so I'm curious what it is about the 03 that you guys like so much. is it because you can controls 2 rates at the same time, one with each hand?

see that is exactly what bruce said, but to me the simplicity in design is so key. i don't think i would always want to page through interfaces or always need 16 different amazing digital lfo waveforms with crazy morphing capabilities. i think i need both for sure though.
the features i like are the normaling of cv input 4 to other jacks to use as a lofi quad oscillator as well as the mix out with disabling on any of the channels. to me that is a fucking salient design. i mean 1 cv in and 1 audio out gets you and insane modulator similar to the cgs super-psycho-lfo but with more flexibility. it's just an attractive design to me. what can i say? oh and it is cheaper than the other one too. i guess that is attractive to my pocketbook but doesnt weigh in on what i like about the design or whatever.
sandyb
rezzn8r wrote:

i think just the simplicity of it. i have a couple of MOTM lfo modules and they see as much use as my modcan 61a (which is one of my favourite modcan modules)

sandy
rezzn8r
sandyb wrote:
i think just the simplicity of it.

ah yes, there is a lot to be said for simplicity and elegant design.
and I didn't know the 03 normalled the cv ins in a different way. very interesting. thanks, dude.
dude
rezzn8r wrote:
sandyb wrote:
i think just the simplicity of it.

ah yes, there is a lot to be said for simplicity and elegant design.
and I didn't know the 03 normalled the cv ins in a different way. very interesting. thanks, dude.

lol, 'read the book'

keep in mind, i don't have either of these modules i am just reading/interpreting the manuals to the best of my ability in the vaccuum of not having them. window shopping as it were.

all this talk about this damn 03b has me sad about it's leaving. i hope someone who can afford it reads this and is inspired! i feel like making a bumper sticker:

keep the 03b alive!

ah but money talks
rezzn8r
I have a 61 and plan to buy a 05 (or 2) next year, but the 03 wasn't even on my radar until this thread...
hmmm.....
sandyb
05 is cool too. you know the score by now - by both w00t
sunsinger
BananaPlug wrote:

Quad LFO & Quad VCA with a sidecar of VCA Panner. That's the ticket for me. love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2