MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dotcom Q172 Quantizer Aid
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Dotcom Q172 Quantizer Aid
bwhittington
The Dotcom quantizer just got more interesting! I guess I'm going to wait and see what Moon comes up with--or maybe not!--but we are going to be flush with nice quantizer options soon!

http://www.synthesizers.com/q172.html

Cheers,
Brian
suitandtieguy
ok that's hot.
parasitk
I dig that it spits out "quantized" MIDI. Clever.
bwhittington
suitandtieguy wrote:
ok that's hot.

Yeah, I was sitting on my hands when the Q171 was announced, but I just sold my 55b within hours of this being announced! The user-programmable scales via MIDI carries some pretty interesting possibilities. All in all, I think this one looks like a heck of a lot of fun.
nanners nanners nanners

Does anyone know how easy adding a MIDI thru to a Q104 would be? Is it just a matter of wiring a "multiple" jack, or is there processing involved in that to complicate it? Running tons of MIDI cords across the front of my synth is the one thing that isn't really doing it for me. Maybe I could just wire some rear panel jacks for the Q172 and not use the ones on the panel?

Cheers,
Brian
dude
nudge thanks nudge.

w00t
JohnLRice
I think this looks really great! w00t Like others, the Q171 didn't really interest me much, but this changes things.

I would caution everyone to not jump on this too soon since Moon Modular has a similar but different module coming called the M565e, I think, that works with their M565 quantizer. It would be wise to wait until features and prices are posted so you can make the desision that best suits your needs. (taking a multiple loss on selling something you have to buy something new and then selling it to buy something newer or to buy the original item back sucks! d'oh! )

It's a good time to be in the quantizer market though! applause
dude
i think everybodies dreams are coming true.

hihi
bwhittington
JohnLRice wrote:

I would caution everyone to not jump on this too soon since Moon Modular has a similar but different module coming called the M565e, I think, that works with their M565 quantizer.

Yes, I'll probably hold off on ordering until the Q172 is actually released for this reason, but the main focus of the M565e seemed to be a switch-interface for programming scales, and in my view the Dotcom MIDI input for the same purpose, with three user-programmable scales, seems to blow that out of water, assuming you can input the notes on the fly.

Definitely a fun time to be quantizer shopping.

Cheers,
Brian
bwhittington
dude wrote:
i think everybodies dreams are coming true.

hihi

Oh, and dude is referring to the fact that he's ended up with my Modcan 55b. Win-win!

w00t w00t
doctorvague
I hope Moon comes through. I still want 12 switches. The 171/172 was slightly enticing until I realized for 2 panel spaces you really can only get 1 channel of quantization (Channel 4 on the expander) if you want to use custom scales, unless I am misunderstanding something. Since he's labeling the 172 as Channel 4, I'm assuming from that the 172 controls do not affect the 171 quantization. If this combo would provide 4 channels of a custom scale I would go for it. I'm sure a lot of people will be using the MIDI out - that's a really good idea. The MIDI in idea was clever too as a panel-space saver to enter scales.

These will be great for most folks and hats off to Roger for putting out some new modules and new ideas as well! thumbs up

I hope the Moon quantizer aid switch setting will control all 4 channels and not just one... hadn't thought of that until just now.
kindredlost
bwhittington wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
ok that's hot.

Yeah, I was sitting on my hands when the Q171 was announced, but I just sold my 55b within hours of this being announced! The user-programmable scales via MIDI carries some pretty interesting possibilities. All in all, I think this one looks like a heck of a lot of fun.
nanners nanners nanners

Does anyone know how easy adding a MIDI thru to a Q104 would be? Is it just a matter of wiring a "multiple" jack, or is there processing involved in that to complicate it? Running tons of MIDI cords across the front of my synth is the one thing that isn't really doing it for me. Maybe I could just wire some rear panel jacks for the Q172 and not use the ones on the panel?

Cheers,
Brian

Make this suggestion to Roger. It is a good one Brian

-David
kindredlost
doctorvague wrote:
I hope Moon comes through. I still want 12 switches. The 171/172 was slightly enticing until I realized for 2 panel spaces you really can only get 1 channel of quantization (Channel 4 on the expander) if you want to use custom scales, unless I am misunderstanding something. Since he's labeling the 172 as Channel 4, I'm assuming from that the 172 controls do not affect the 171 quantization. If this combo would provide 4 channels of a custom scale I would go for it. I'm sure a lot of people will be using the MIDI out - that's a really good idea. The MIDI in idea was clever too as a panel-space saver to enter scales.

These will be great for most folks and hats off to Roger for putting out some new modules and new ideas as well! thumbs up

I hope the Moon quantizer aid switch setting will control all 4 channels and not just one... hadn't thought of that until just now.

The custom scales are probably available at all four outputs but that is specualtion. This question was asked last night by Suit&TieGuy. Roger mentioned the fact that the two modules will have to be side-by-side because of some 20 or so cables between them. The processor is on the Q171 and the aid module Q172 taps into that module. Of course I am only assuming this would be the function.

-David
kindredlost
bwhittington wrote:
The Dotcom quantizer just got more interesting! I guess I'm going to wait and see what Moon comes up with--or maybe not!--but we are going to be flush with nice quantizer options soon!

http://www.synthesizers.com/q172.html

Cheers,
Brian

I see the potential of this module to allow for Just Intonation and other exotic scales. This was something I requested from Roger in the early days but never fully expected it. I have to admit I am seriously delighted at this prospect. No other quantitizer will come close that I know of. The addition of MIDI out is also very unique. This will enable the Q960 and Q119 (or any other sequencer) to act as a midi source for other gear. It's peanut butter jelly time!

-David
bwhittington
kindredlost wrote:

The custom scales are probably available at all four outputs but that is specualtion. This question was asked last night by Suit&TieGuy. Roger mentioned the fact that the two modules will have to be side-by-side because of some 20 or so cables between them. The processor is on the Q171 and the aid module Q172 taps into that module. Of course I am only assuming this would be the function.

-David

Oh, well that would be a big question. It certainly would be more useful to me to have the scale change globally, instead of one channel. This quote suggests that may not be the case, though:

Roger Arrick wrote:
Let me make this part clear first - each of the 4 channels does not offer the same features, nor can it. The microprocessor is maxed and I'm playing several tricks to get it to do this much already. So, there's no way to have transpose on each channel just by adding more Q172's, etc.

seriously, i just don't get it

Maybe I should have waited until I understood the feature set before selling my quantizer? hihi But the modules are interesting enough for me to want them either way.

Cheers,
Brian
doctorvague
bwhittington wrote:

Roger Arrick wrote:
Let me make this part clear first - each of the 4 channels does not offer the same features, nor can it. The microprocessor is maxed and I'm playing several tricks to get it to do this much already. So, there's no way to have transpose on each channel just by adding more Q172's, etc.

That pretty well answers it, coupled with the fact the 172 is clearly labeled Ch 4, a separate channel. There's no evidence to the contrary I can see (that Ch4 will control 1-3).
JohnLRice
doctorvague wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

Roger Arrick wrote:

That pretty well answers it, coupled with the fact the 172 is clearly labeled Ch 4, a separate channel. There's no evidence to the contrary I can see (that Ch4 will control 1-3).

Awww! That's too bad . . . waah

Hopefully the Moon M565 + M565e wont be the same deal . . . . hmmm.....
emdot_ambient
dot com's web site wrote:
The MIDI input jack provides a simple method of programming the 3 user-programmable note groups. Simply plug in a keyboard controller and press the keys you'd like in your custom group.

That sounds pretty awsome.
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
Does anyone know how easy adding a MIDI thru to a Q104 would be? Is it just a matter of wiring a "multiple" jack, or is there processing involved in that to complicate it? Running tons of MIDI cords across the front of my synth is the one thing that isn't really doing it for me.

MIDI connections are opto isolated. I'm not sure what happens if you try to make a MIDI "mult" panel just wire it up with copper, but I'm pretty sure that's a no-no.

Here's a nice little circuit I found that looks like it would do the trick for you. Shows how it's not an expensive circuit, it's just jacks and the mounting box or panel that bring up the cost:
http://m.bareille.free.fr/midithrubox/midithrubox.htm

There is also a ZIP file you can download on Larry's site (RIP) that has an article on building a thru box:
http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/schematics/thru.htm

Lot's more out on the NET too. Google "midi thru DIY" thumbs up

bwhittington wrote:

Maybe I could just wire some rear panel jacks for the Q172 and not use the ones on the panel?

I would think that should work fine if you don't try to double up on them, just a single in + out on the back and you only use just the front or just the back jacks at any one time.

Maybe just save some time and buy a MIDI Solutions quadra thru box? applause

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqth.htm

Under $40 here:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351129.html
bwhittington
Thanks, John. Roger suggested wiring two sets of jacks in parallel, one on the back panel and the ones connected to the Q172, so that you could have easy access to the front ones if needed but keep the cable clutter out of the way. Would basically be a y-connection going into the pcb header would work, so long as only one in or out was being used at a time? Sounds like a simpler solution.

Right about the time I was thinking I might never need the 8 in/outs on my MIDI patch bay, my modular starts going MIDI on me. hmmm.....

Cheers,
Brian

JohnLRice wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
Does anyone know how easy adding a MIDI thru to a Q104 would be? Is it just a matter of wiring a "multiple" jack, or is there processing involved in that to complicate it? Running tons of MIDI cords across the front of my synth is the one thing that isn't really doing it for me.

MIDI connections are opto isolated. I'm not sure what happens if you try to make a MIDI "mult" panel just wire it up with copper, but I'm pretty sure that's a no-no.

Here's a nice little circuit I found that looks like it would do the trick for you. Shows how it's not an expensive circuit, it's just jacks and the mounting box or panel that bring up the cost:
http://m.bareille.free.fr/midithrubox/midithrubox.htm

There is also a ZIP file you can download on Larry's site (RIP) that has an article on building a thru box:
http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/schematics/thru.htm

Lot's more out on the NET too. Google "midi thru DIY" thumbs up

bwhittington wrote:

Maybe I could just wire some rear panel jacks for the Q172 and not use the ones on the panel?

I would think that should work fine if you don't try to double up on them, just a single in + out on the back and you only use just the front or just the back jacks at any one time.

Maybe just save some time and buy a MIDI Solutions quadra thru box? applause

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqth.htm

Under $40 here:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351129.html
kindredlost
Roger Arrick wrote:

Yes that is a bit clearer. Thanks for the update Brian.

I'm still pretty happy with the overall design. If I understand it (at this preliminary stage), the Q171 will do the things available on its front panel and the Q172 (channel 4) will do it's panel functions.

That means you could have 2 channels chromatic semitone, some other basic quantitizing and the fourth channel for more exotic tunings. That is pretty cool for a 2U module less than $400.

Now, I'm not so sure I understand yet how that would be as useful except for perhaps setting up some various scales in conjuction with a distributor and standards modules for rapid changes. That could be fun.

-David
sunsinger
Looks like just the thing for my STG stuff. Both modules look cool, but I still need two Oscillators first. Time to plan my next Bank Job!
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
SynthBaron
I want switches.
Funky40
doctorvague wrote:
I still want 12 switches. .

+1000
kindredlost
Funky40 wrote:
doctorvague wrote:
I still want 12 switches. .

+1000

Looks like the Moon Modular module coming out will be the way to go for that.

-David
essex sound lab
Looks like it just became THAT much harder to sell my COTK Dual Quantizer!

But will wait to hear more about the Moon unit before I make any changes.
bwhittington
essex sound lab wrote:
Looks like it just became THAT much harder to sell my COTK Dual Quantizer!

But will wait to hear more about the Moon unit before I make any changes.

Yeah, I pretty much love the fact that there are two COTK quantizers on eBay right now. It's really not a bad deal for a used price--only two channels, but includes transpose and different scale settings than the Dotcom . . . and a cool rocker switch--but it wouldn't stun me if they didn't sell.

By the way, as a note to anyone interested in bidding, I would recommend searching the Dotcom archives regarding the issues Morbius had with his particular unit. Seems like a significant known fault should have been mentioned in his listing.

Cheers,
Brian
SynthBaron
bwhittington wrote:
I would recommend searching the Dotcom archives

The message archive search is very, very broken. Last time I checked nothing has been indexed since early last year.
suitandtieguy
regarding the CotK quantiser: could the issue be that "Minor" is not actually Minor but Major with a flat 3rd?
essex sound lab
SynthBaron wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

The message archive search is very, very broken. Last time I checked nothing has been indexed since early last year.

Can it even be searched by non-members?
SynthBaron
essex sound lab wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

No, it can't. And becoming a member is a long interview process with Morbius.
bwhittington
Wow, that comment became a quite a little topic this morning. I had searched the archives a month or two ago looking for discussion of the COTK quantizer. Morbius had posted that his quantizer did not work properly with a sequencer though it worked fine with his s&h. Perhaps that suggests there is a problem with the trigger input? This is how it functioned when he got it from Kazike.

When he offered it for sale on the Dotcom list, it came with the caveat that it functioned as it did from the factory, which seemed a pretty sly way to gloss over its problem. In the eBay auction, it's just listed "as is." As best I can tell, I don't think that particular item is being terribly well represented.

Cheers,
Brian

SynthBaron wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

essex sound lab
SynthBaron wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

If one indeed wanted to be a member. 'Nuff said.
SynthBaron
essex sound lab wrote:

If one indeed wanted to be a member. 'Nuff said.

I should have never given the group ownership rights over to Roger. Oh well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 2