MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A few questions before I pull the trigger.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author A few questions before I pull the trigger.
theinnerpalm
So I'm about to buy my first modules. Initially, I plan on mostly processing audio signals (samples) because I'm in college and can't afford multiple oscillators plus all the fixings at once. I'm gonna be sampling my modular and using it to compose in DAWs along with other stuffs. I'm starting with a synthesizers.com power supply and some basic modules (duh)

What would you guys recommend to just start off for audio processing? Do I need a mixer specifically for audio signals or is the input on say a Q107 sufficient?

I also have a Virus TI... what have your guys experiences been interfacing the two?
JohnLRice
Congrats on starting your modular! w00t

Since the Q107 has four different outputs I think the Q112 mixer would be really handy to have so you could mix 2 or more filter outputs. hyper And it will be very hand as your system grows.

Squeezing in a Q110 noise module and a Q116 ring modulator module would give you a pretty fun starter setup I think!

Are you more interested in traditional musical sounds, experimental/industrial noise, something inbetween, everything or? 8_)
bwhittington
What basic modules did you have in mind?

The VCA's have two inputs, so the mixer wouldn't be essential to combine filter outputs. Nice, but not essential.

Obviously, you want the Instrument Interface. Even though you are talking about signal processing, I think you still want at least one Q106 for modulation, plus you'll find it fun to patch and sample. A VCA and envelope would be on my short list, and then whatever audio processing modules you can muster. The Q107, and the ring mod would be nice, as John says (you'd definitely want the Q106 then).

That basic set up would get you a nice little system. If you had any cash left over, I always start thinking the STG wavefolder would be cool for audio processing. I don't even own one myself, though, so maybe I should quite suggesting it to people. hihi

Cheers,
Brian

JohnLRice wrote:
Congrats on starting your modular! w00t

Since the Q107 has four different outputs I think the Q112 mixer would be really handy to have so you could mix 2 or more filter outputs. hyper And it will be very hand as your system grows.

Squeezing in a Q110 noise module and a Q116 ring modulator module would give you a pretty fun starter setup I think!

Are you more interested in traditional musical sounds, experimental/industrial noise, something inbetween, everything or? 8_)
rezzn8r
bwhittington wrote:
That basic set up would get you a nice little system. If you had any cash left over, I always start thinking the STG wavefolder would be cool for audio processing. I don't even own one myself, though, so maybe I should quite suggesting it to people.

The STG Wavefolder is pretty fucking awsome. I have one and I'd say you're right on the money.
Back on topic, the advice already posted is spot on. You will probably need a 106 for modulation, as bwhittington mentions, and I think a noise source is great in a system designed for signal processing. Have you considered the Q127/140 combo?
sandyb
i agree with Brian - you definitely have to get a Q118 instrument interface to bring external signals up to modular levels. the other suggestions made by everyone are good. you're really going to need one Q106 oscillator as a modulation source.
you may also want to consider a Q130 clipper/rectifier - it can mangle external audio pretty well Dead Banana

sandy
doctorvague
sandyb wrote:
i agree with Brian - you definitely have to get a Q118 instrument interface to bring external signals up to modular levels.

Hey a quick related question - have any of you used a standard mic pre for this? I have an API 500 series rack with 3 different pre's but I kinda need to move it to the other side of the studio to try this which I've been meaning to do. Seems like there would be enough gain there, but maybe not. I'm not really sure what p-p voltages these things put out.
sandyb
doctorvague wrote:
sandyb wrote:
i agree with Brian - you definitely have to get a Q118 instrument interface to bring external signals up to modular levels.

Hey a quick related question - have any of you used a standard mic pre for this? I have an API 500 series rack with 3 different pre's but I kinda need to move it to the other side of the studio to try this which I've been meaning to do. Seems like there would be enough gain there, but maybe not. I'm not really sure what p-p voltages these things put out.

never tried it phil.
the Q118 has x10, x100 and x1000 settings, with a 1-10 knob. i find the x10 to never really be enough but x100 and x1000 work well. it really depends on the input source. don't know if that helps? i guess you're going to have to move the API rack and try it out - i'd be surprised if you didn't get something sort of useable though.

sandy
emdot_ambient
Well for basic modules you'd do good to include envelope generators...which of course need a gate input, for which you'd either need an oscillator/LFO to trigger it with pulse waves, or better yet, a MIDI-CV converter like the Q104 or a Kenton Pro-Solo or USB-Solo.

For your set up I'd think the MIDI-CV would be a must.
drewtoothpaste
How many modules / how much $ are you working with?

The Q118 instrument interface, Q107 filter, Q108 amplifier and Q115 reverb would probably get you started. Spring reverb is one thing that software doesn't do well (in my opinion.)

You can also keep the tank outside of the case and use it with the 118/107/108 to generate sounds to sample back into the computer - tapping/banging/scratching the tank and springs gives you a lot of metallic timbres that would be otherwise hard to synthesize.

You can take a signal straight out of the Q108 back into your audio interface even though it's designed for modular signal levels, because it's farly low-noise and you can attenuate the output with the Gain / Control #1 knobs.
sunsinger
rezzn8r wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
That basic set up would get you a nice little system. If you had any cash left over, I always start thinking the STG wavefolder would be cool for audio processing. I don't even own one myself, though, so maybe I should quite suggesting it to people.

The STG Wavefolder is pretty fucking awsome. I have one and I'd say you're right on the money.
Back on topic, the advice already posted is spot on. You will probably need a 106 for modulation, as bwhittington mentions, and I think a noise source is great in a system designed for signal processing. Have you considered the Q127/140 combo?

I am really loving my Mankato Filter, 8 outputs. This things gets tones that are unbelievable!
bwhittington
emdot_ambient wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call it a must. If he wants to process samples, he can use the triggers from the Instrument Interface to control his EG. If he wants to sample the modular, he can manually trigger the EG. Depends on what else he wants to do.

Cheers,
Brian
bwhittington
doctorvague wrote:
Hey a quick related question - have any of you used a standard mic pre for this?

I have, and it should work fine for you. You miss all the fun bits of the Q118, though.

Cheers,
Brian
emdot_ambient
bwhittington wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call it a must. If he wants to process samples, he can use the triggers from the Instrument Interface to control his EG. If he wants to sample the modular, he can manually trigger the EG. Depends on what else he wants to do.

All very true, but MIDI-CV give a very easy hands on control and allows for CV to be sent along with Gate. Having CV from a MIDI keyboard allows for dynamic changes to filter frequency or whatever based on note value rather than signal dynamics.
theinnerpalm
Overwhelming response for one day! applause we're not worthy

I'm interested in more traditional sounds but like to sample little clips of whatever I like. My roommate/best friend and I have an electronic music project going so it should prove fruitful for production. I'd even like to be able to use the modular as an effects processor in a send loop with ableton if it will stay in sync.

When it comes to budget, I'm in college but work part time so I don't really have a limit to my budget... though my retail store wage means saving takes some time for the more expensive bits.

I built a cheap 24 inch cabinet with 10 dot com spaces and picked up a QPS2 from XXXEsq today depsite the fact he now needs one for a quantizer thumbs up Once I'm close to filling this cabinet up, I think I want to get a small eurorack case to use with the 5U.

Its looking like I'm going to get my feet wet with the Q107 and Q108. I want to try the input without the instrument interface first, for the sake of trying to save space. I'm thinking I may be able to get away with boosting signals with my virus if needed. If this isn't getting me where I need initially, I'll definitely pick up one.

Beyond that a Q106, Q112 will be necessary. I will probably get either the Q118 or the EG. This would leave me with 7.625 inches to work with... 3 dot com modules or 1 dot com + 3 motm/modcan size spaces. My cabinet is 9.25" deep... I'm thinking I can just put multiples on the back as needed? Will they fit? Ring modulation is very attractive to me and the stg wave folder looks pretty dank too. I was even considering the modcan RM/noise/s&h combo... if i can muster up the cash. Reverb also sounds desirable for my targetted sound palette. Fuck, I want it all! sad banana

Let me know any further opinions! Thanks for the advice! nanners SlayerBadger!
bwhittington
theinnerpalm wrote:

Its looking like I'm going to get my feet wet with the Q107 and Q108. I want to try the input without the instrument interface first, for the sake of trying to save space. I'm thinking I may be able to get away with boosting signals with my virus if needed. If this isn't getting me where I need initially, I'll definitely pick up one.

That is a bad idea. It just won't work. Start with the Q118 and Q107. I'm not sure why you would need a VCA at this stage in the game, anyway. You have no voltage source to open it with.

To make sure I'm not full of it, I patched a synth directly into the Q107. Sure, you can hear it, just like you could hear those test tones when you had your hearing checked as a kid. It simply isn't a usable volume. Patch the Q118, and it's golden.

And if you are going to do effects loop type of stuff, the envelope follower on the Q118 will be golden. For what you want to do, the things you have to have are a power supply, and a Q118 . . . and then whatever else you want.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Brian
theinnerpalm
Thanks for clearing things up Brian. Precisely why I'm posting smile
bwhittington
If I were buying this piecemeal, I personally might buy the modules in the following order:

Q118 Instrument Interface
Q107 Filter
Q106 Osc
Q108 VCA
Q109 EG
Q112 Mixer

In the final two spaces, get whatever other modules interest you--the Modcan 07B S&H/Ring Mod/Noise module would be an interesting pick, or the spring reverb, wavefolder, or whatever.

Cheers,
Brian
Phineous
Hmmmm a 10space you say, well here goes, in order for purchase.

Q118 Instrument Interface
Q107 or Q150 Transistor Ladder Filter (I own and love bolth)
Q108 Amplifier
Q110 Noise Source
Q117 Sample and Hold
Q109 Envelope Generator
Q106 Oscillator with CRS
Q104 MIDI Interface for Virus TI control

lots of fun features with the noise/SH, as well as a well rounded single sound.

theinnerpalm wrote:
I was even considering the modcan RM/noise/s&h combo... if i can muster up the cash.

I would have to say that mixing module companies is a bad move for the first 10space. Power supply and power conectors are a small issue, but a issue non the less. I would stick with DotcoM PSU and modules for the first cabinet. (and yes once you build and tweek the first cab, another cab is sure to follow) thumbs up

just my 2Hz

Gratz on your first 10space SlayerBadger!

L8r

P
MindMachine
I would also suggest the Q118 and Q107 first, then add
oscillators,ADSR, etc. I would skip the dotcom noise module,
since it offers little bang for the space it will
consume in your box. At that point I would add theMoog
CP-251 Control Processor Module(s). For the price you
cannot beat it and it is built like a tank. This box contains
a 4 input mixer w/positive and negative outs, a voltage
source, a sample and hold w/ stepped and smooth outs,
a noise source, a lag processor (that can work as an AR),
a Voltage Controlled LFO w/ triangle and square outs, two
attenuators and a multiple. It is a table unit or can be rack
mounted. I cannot recommend it enough as a great box and
a space saver for additional modules that you know you will
eventually want.
dude
someone mentioned the mankato back there and is the best. it is my favorite vco. an amazing piece. can do wave shaping on itself. vco/lfo/filter/quadrature+ slew limiting. just consider it for a sec if you haven't oh and looks amazing which good for aesthetics or whatever. if yer into that sort of thing.

sorry if that strayed from the point
dude
you mentioned some modcan too so, have you thought about a module like the 05b dual lfo. you may ask "why would i need that" well, it can do all of the following very well: vco/vclfo/vcslew/vc clock division/vceg's/filter... and there are two separate parts in just the one module. in a small system, you really would do well to at least consider the modules which perform with flexibility. mankato is as i said a jack of all trades as well. if you have more specific questions feel free to pm me!
theinnerpalm
Yeah, I'm going to stay away from the dot com RM and noise since I have little room. If anything I'll get them and keep them for a few months since they're cheap, then resell them on here. I'm pretty tech savvy so mixing module companies shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely starting with the Q118 and Q107. I'm debating whether or not to order now or wait for another paycheck so i can get 3 at once... decisions decisions.

With a 9.25 inch deep case will it be possible to put a mutliples module on the back if necessary?

Anyone have a demo of the spring reverb tank being scratched/tapped/etc?
bwhittington
Powering the Modcan module really wouldn't be a big deal from the Dotcom power supply. It's going the other way that can be dicey, because Modcan and MOTM psu's don't always have 5v. I believe there is some discussion of this in the sticky thread on power distribution.

You could also customize a Dotcom, adding the ring modulator to the noise module or vice-versa. Drill three holes, and use some spacers to mount the extra PCB, and you're done. This will seem simple when you have a module in your hand to see how they are assembled.

9.25" is loads of depth. Most modules are 2.5" deep, including wiring.

Someone's spring reverb video from Youtube:

I think the two modules would be a nice start. There's enough there to play with. If I were going for a third, I think the EG might be a good idea. You could trigger it with the Q118 and use it to open up the filter or modulate the resonance.

Cheers,
Brian

theinnerpalm wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to stay away from the dot com RM and noise since I have little room. If anything I'll get them and keep them for a few months since they're cheap, then resell them on here. I'm pretty tech savvy so mixing module companies shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely starting with the Q118 and Q107. I'm debating whether or not to order now or wait for another paycheck so i can get 3 at once... decisions decisions.

With a 9.25 inch deep case will it be possible to put a mutliples module on the back if necessary?

Anyone have a demo of the spring reverb tank being scratched/tapped/etc?
dude
also, i had a bit of diy spirit this weekend and ended up making a cool blue 6u blank panels out of basically free plastic i found a local junk shop. then i bolted a spring reverb tank stolen from an amp to some vented paneling i have on the back of my modular case. the total cost for the vented paneling (you could of course mount it on wood as well) was like 15 bucks and the tanks are sold at guitar repair shops for maybe 20 bucks. then all you need is an amp to get the level up and boom. you won't have voltage control over it like the 464 dollar modcan one but you save 400+bucks and enjoy the feeling of diy win situation! spring reverb is wonderful!
theinnerpalm
Stoked I will have alot of room in the cabinet depth wise. I placed an order for the Q107 and Q118 grin pretty stoked
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t Guinness ftw! 8_) Mr. Green applause This is fun! thumbs up nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. Bop! Combine Overwatch The Chewbacca Defense Dono-Kun Dance
Dono-Kun Dance Doepfer Old Man Euro Module The MSN Smack! Jedi Clap Coffee Addiction FTW Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2