MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Demo Track for Numerology
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Demo Track for Numerology
sunsinger
Lets Try This Again!

This first Time I tried to upload this to SoundCloud I really didn't like the results of the Audio compression that is used there so I remixed it to optimize for the lack of definition of the older track. I think it's better now. So if you gave this a listen before and it SUCKED, try this. I think it's a bit better now.

This piece of music was done during the last couple of days that a discussion about Numerology Sequencing VS. Hardware Sequencing was happening on Muffs.

http://soundcloud.com/sunsinger/numerology-remix-2-1

I have only used Numerology to create the sequences used in this work. There are no keyboards played or anything added with the exception of some Echo Boy delay effects in Pro Tools. A Bass track was created first in Numerology and Recorded into ProTools as a guide track. Then I performed the rest of the tracks live on the modular, while recording each voice to separate tracks in Pro Tools. I mixed the live tracks using Pro Tools later.

I have A MOTM 650 4 Channel Midi Interface and a DotCom Q104 Midi Interface. This provided 5 midi channels to the modular to creating 5 sequenced voices. The oscillators were routed to multiple filters and Modular effects to give the feeling of more parts. The effects included a Modcan Flanger, Super Delay and Dual Frequency Shifter.

The screenshot below represents the whole session. There are 5 sequences, not much more.

sandyb
that was really nice ron. thanks for posting it. a good example of what numerology can do.

sandy
ignatius
nice one!
sunsinger
Thanks Sandy.

Hey do you know why SoundCloud sounds so shitty? That upload is supposed to be 16 bit 44.1. But it sounds like its almost mono compared to the mix here.
huh?
sandyb
while i haven't used soundcloud, i'm guessing that although you may be uploading a wav file it isn't a wav that's being streamed but possibly (probably?) an mp3 instead.
sunsinger
sandyb wrote:
i haven't used soundcloud but i'm guessing that while you may be uploading a wav file it isn't a wav that's being streamed but possibly (probably?) an mp3 instead.

YUK! Peter Grenader Peter Grenader Peter Grenader
kindredlost
Sounds great Ron.

I'm following you there now. I just joined a few days ago, so I don't have much there yet.

I haven't noticed the compressed file nature yet. I uploaded some WAV files too but they sound about the same to me. They were 44.1/16b for CD reproduction later.

The modular patch sounds are wonderful. Could you show a snapshot of the mixer or timeline view? I am planning on registering Numerology tomorrow applause so I haven't seen a full patch set yet.

-David
kindredlost
sandyb wrote:
while i haven't used soundcloud, i'm guessing that although you may be uploading a wav file it isn't a wav that's being streamed but possibly (probably?) an mp3 instead.

After going back and comparing the original to the uploaded track, I've noticed a difference. The tracks are still WAV but are probably reduced. Easy enough to do in order to compact the data. There is a distinct loss of dynamic level and at some broad sections there are harmonic anomalies.

So far my account is free. May stay that way. I have so many other sites but most are definitely mp3. The WAV file format was the attraction to Soundcloud. Oh well.

-David
sunsinger
kindredlost wrote:
Sounds great Ron.

I'm following you there now. I just joined a few days ago, so I don't have much there yet.

I haven't noticed the compressed file nature yet. I uploaded some WAV files too but they sound about the same to me. They were 44.1/16b for CD reproduction later.

The modular patch sounds are wonderful. Could you show a snapshot of the mixer or timeline view? I am planning on registering Numerology tomorrow applause so I haven't seen a full patch set yet.

-David

Thank you so much David,
Believe it or not. I never opened the mixer window for this recording, and did not use the timeline or presets at all. But I'll send you those screenshots a bit later on this evening.

Cheers, Ron
sunsinger
Hey David,

Here are those screen shots you asked about. The timeline wasn't used. The mixer shows presets in stack 4, but I did not trigger them from the Mixer window. I used the Stack window to trigger presets from. But when one has presets across all of the stacks. the Mixer window is the place to do
your preset Launching from.

Jim and I talked and I think he's going to create a clip launch from the mixer that will work a little like live. You should be able to map those to the Abelton Launchpad hardware controller.

God the audio on that download is really awful. But I work with alot of dense tracks, panning, and delay. It was warm open and transparent played on my system. I'll have to learn to mix for down sampled formats.

Phineous
Bump w00t

Nice track, I am getting this software.

L8r

P
rezzn8r
Yes, very nice track! Great texture. SlayerBadger!
I've been messing with Numerology since I got midi->cv for my Modcan and Blacet. So far, I've only used the note/interval sequencers. I'm going to have to make a point of spending some time with the mixer and preset manager soon. Great program.
sunsinger
rezzn8r wrote:
Yes, very nice track! Great texture. SlayerBadger!
I've been messing with Numerology since I got midi->cv for my Modcan and Blacet. So far, I've only used the note/interval sequencers. I'm going to have to make a point of spending some time with the mixer and preset manager soon. Great program.

Thanks for your kind words rezzn8r regarding the track. I think you will like how deep this program goes. In the new iterations, even more depth to be announced. See his roadmap on the forum.
thumbs up
synthetic
Very nice track. I believe that Soundcloud has a setting to allow people to download the WAV file. Like this:

http://soundcloud.com/chris-randall/tattoo-gruven4
sunsinger
Phineous wrote:
Bump w00t

Nice track, I am getting this software.

L8r

P

Thanks for the compliments of the track. I only wish it sounded as rich as it does here. Maybe someone out there knows of a really good public audio player service.

I'm sure that you will love this program. Lot's of goodies.

The Drum Machine/Sample Player rocks. The Chord Sequencer. I know that there are a number of goodies in developement right now. These will be unlocked in Version 3. This program gets bigger and bigger.

The AU hosting is pretty spectacular, so you can sequence your Modular with it, and various softsynths and Effects. Also lots of CV implementation.

I just say WOW! Jim is making a landmark program here... Cheaply!

Little bugs pop up from time to time as Jim adds more & more features to it. This is to be expected. But these are handled quickly and personally. I have even had whole sections of the program designed for my needs at times during the early development stages.

If you have a great idea, present it on the Forum. He considers any such requests seriously to see if it's cool enough to put on the to do list. So reporting issues or ideas on the forum is how Jim works. And the best way to get things done. Jim checks the Forum daily, and uses it as a source of feedback.

He's one of the most personable developers out there. I'm very impressed at the level of support, and growth of Numerology. If you buy the program (I don't know if your still using the demo). Then you qualify to Beta test new iterations, which has always been very cool.
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
kindredlost
I bought Numerology last night. It will be another great tool for composing.

I only hope I could make something as nice as the track you made Ron. Well done.

I'm still learning the ropes on the CV patches. Sometimes I get a bit confused, but since joining the Five12 forum I'll be learning more soon enough.

See? Even though your original post was to inform people that didn't have the budget for a hardware sequencer, it resulted in other users that DO have hardware sequencers. applause

-David
emdot_ambient
Love the track...but Numerology is just way too expensive for me.
sunsinger
kindredlost wrote:
I bought Numerology last night. It will be another great tool for composing.

I only hope I could make something as nice as the track you made Ron. Well done.

I'm still learning the ropes on the CV patches. Sometimes I get a bit confused, but since joining the Five12 forum I'll be learning more soon enough.

See? Even though your original post was to inform people that didn't have the budget for a hardware sequencer, it resulted in other users that DO have hardware sequencers. applause

-David

Thank you for your kind words David. I'm excited that my posting is having positive results. BTW, I have a hardware sequencer too. I'm looking forward some day to add to the collection. I am also liking the new Quantizer options from DotCom. This will help out with my STG stuff greatly.
thumbs up
sandyb
emdot_ambient wrote:

not to dismiss your comment in any way but compared to any of the analogue hardware sequencers out there numerology is very cheap.
sunsinger
NOTICE:

To all of you that have been following the Numerology threads. I think it is time to move this discussion over the the Software part of the forum... I'll be putting new demos and videos up there in the future.

Ron
kindredlost
sandyb wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:

not to dismiss your comment in any way but compared to any of the analogue hardware sequencers out there numerology is very cheap.

I think that was sarcasm.
emdot_ambient
kindredlost wrote:
sandyb wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:

...no it just means that I'd have to order a Mac first, and thus any analog sequencer would be cheaper Mr. Green

It's really not often you Mac users get to gloat over software not available on all platforms! hihi
sduck
emdot_ambient wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
sandyb wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:

...no it just means that I'd have to order a Mac first, and thus any analog sequencer would be cheaper Mr. Green

Nope not really - it's not very cpu intensive software; it'll run adequately on fairly antiquated hardware. It runs great on my old G4 powerbook, and you can (could?) get those refurbished for under 400$. Get an older refurb macbook and you can run almost anything.

I'd bet that for the cost of a .com 119 you could get a complete mac system and numerology!
suitandtieguy
sduck wrote:
I'd bet that for the cost of a .com 119 you could get a complete mac system and numerology!

i'd bet for the cost of a voltage mini-store and a time buffer you could get a g4 powerbook, numerology, and a midi interface.
kindredlost
suitandtieguy wrote:
sduck wrote:

i'd bet for the cost of a voltage mini-store and a time buffer you could get a g4 powerbook, numerology, and a midi interface.

Put in that perspective, the Mini Store and Time Buffer are sounding better and better.

Like the DotCom tee-shirt says..."So many knobs, so little time."

-David
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2