MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PCB] Busboard with 28 headers (MOTM + Curetronic/Eurorack)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [PCB] Busboard with 28 headers (MOTM + Curetronic/Eurorack)
sonicwarrior
As the MOTM-960 is not to my liking because the spacing between the slots is too crowded I made my own busboard design with 4 rows instead of the 3 of the MOTM-960. So it has footprints for 28 headers instead 21. 4 of them can be fitted alternatively with Curetronic/Eurorack connectors and 2 of them have the additional 4 pins to allow the fitting of 14 pin Club of the Knobs connectors. Because of the width I could only fit in two of the COTK connectors there.

As images are better than 1000 words here is a picture of the populated prototype:

The size is 20 cm x 9 cm and the PCB is double sided with through plating.

If there is enough interest (20) I will order a batch of 50 PCBs which would then cost 18 Euro each plus postage and packing.

Edit: As I got a question regarding diodes and capacitors: I think protection should be done in the module itself and the PSU. Coupling, too, that's why there are neither diodes nor capacitors on this busboard.

Interest list (Update: Feb 20th 2014):
donpachi x3
carynrich x4
Cheradenine x2
other forums: x5
= 14 (6 to go for making a batch)

Update Feb 28th 2014:
Ordered the boards anyway. Should be here around March 12th 2014.

Update 16th February, 2017:
0 boards left.
sonicwarrior
Wow, when no one here is interested it seems I have either done something totally wrong or I managed to land in too many ignore lists. seriously, i just don't get it help

Currently I have interests for 4 PCBs and would start a run when that mark hits 20.

I'm open for small doable improvements. E.g. I guess I could fit an alternative footprint for a terminal block as the input DC connector.
Not a fan of chaining busboards and an additional terminal block would require much more space.
donpachi
I think the design is great thumbs up Terminal blocks would be nice, but not mandatory.

Anyway, I am in for two boards. Thanks!

EDIT: Let's make that three, please w00t
carynrich
The design is fine, count me in for 4. Thanks.
sonicwarrior
Great, thanks guys. So if there is interest for 10 more I'll start the batch. thumbs up
sonicwarrior
To give this a bump here is pic mounted inside a cabinet and an MOTM cable:

It shows that there is enough space for the cables to not have to bend them.
JohnLRice
Looks really nice, sonicwarrior! thumbs up
Cheradenine
Almost missed it !
I would love 2 of these too, thanks !
sonicwarrior
I already installed a page as it seems likely that I get enough interest for batch (currently there have to be additional interest in 7 PCBs to make it happen):
http://www.sdiy.de/en/projects/busboard.html
sonicwarrior
I just ordered the boards. They should be here around the 12th of March.
sonicwarrior
The boards arrived:

Please let me know if you want one. I guess that stock will last some time. wink I'll PM those who wanted one or more.
sonicwarrior
I still have around 40 boards waiting for a new home. Guess it was too crazy a thing to order a batch without enough interest and I'm not much of an advertiser I'm afraid.
sonicwarrior
It definitely was too crazy or impatient or both. Bus boards are too niche it seems and you barely see them on pictures so people barely notice them.

Hundreds of Euros of PCBs rotting in a damn drawer. What a shame.
sad banana
rosch
that's really bad.
i'll ask my band buddy who has MOTM format if he would be interested in a board or so.
sonicwarrior
Thanks for the heads up. thumbs up
aladan
How did I miss this? 2 please - I will PM you.
sonicwarrior
Thanks, emailed back. It's peanut butter jelly time!
ed_banses
Have you got any left? I will send you pm
fracinfrucer
So, what are you guys powering this distribution with? I figure with 28 modules, you'd probably want about 1 amp, right?
sonicwarrior
@ed_banses:
I have plenty left (more than 30).

@fracinfrucer:
I'm using an International Power IHBB15-1.5 with 1.5A on +/- 15V.
sonicwarrior
Btw.: Does someone know a Mouser number for the spade terminals?

I used FS-P 6,35 from Reichelt:

But they should be available from Mouser (or Digikey or other big shops), too, I just have problems finding stuff with the Mouser search engine.

Edit: Guess I found them but they are called 'tab terminals' (got the term spade terminal from the Reichelt page).
According to the datasheets both Mouser no. 571-63839-1 (a bit cheaper) and 534-1287 should fit.
A confirmation would still be cool.
sonicwarrior
Btw. this page http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/index.php?menu=2&submenu=2&subsubm enu=11 (mentioned in another thread here) reminded me of my bus board project here:

Quote:
I suspect that even if every single person on SDIY was buying boards from me...I still would not be able to move that many boards....and I would say that in all likely hood...the market is close to saturation anyway

Should have totally read that before ordering that boards. I guess my previous projects have been too successful.

And the funny thing is: I'm almost selling these boards for what I've paid for them (including the prototype board which was way more expensive than the boards from the batch) and just rounded up the price from 17.something to 18 € but when I put it up on Ebay for 20 € (to compensate for the 10% Ebay fees, putting it up was for free as it was a special offer) I got a price suggestion about 10 € which is almost half than what I paid for the boards myself. That guy seemed to expect cheap PCBs from China everywhere or just have no clue.

If this would be available at Bridechamber, Synthcube or other more commercially oriented shops/sites it would cost at least double the price and be made in China instead of Germany. People barely seem to appreciate that.
aladan
Hey sonicwarrior, that sucks. I bought one of these from you, and I have to say they are A. absolutely rock solid in quality and design and B. beautiful in appearance (for those like me who notice that sort of thing in PCBs). It's a crying shame mine is hidden behind opaque module panels!
DomMorley
aladan wrote:
Hey sonicwarrior, that sucks. I bought one of these from you, and I have to say they are A. absolutely rock solid in quality and design and B. beautiful in appearance (for those like me who notice that sort of thing in PCBs). It's a crying shame mine is hidden behind opaque module panels!

+1

I have one too and it is rock solid. A great buy if you're looking for this sort of thing.
sonicwarrior
Thanks a lot guys. Appreciation is a great motivator. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3